How do you maintain Bibliography file for BibTex?

In summary, Zotero is a web-based tool which allows users to capture and store academic information. It seems to be useful for storing references to articles and books.
ank_gl
Hi guys,

I have several projects on my three computers which use bibliography. I maintain them manually, copying and pasting whatever is needed. Needless to say, this is becoming stupid now.

I recently started using Zotero. It seems like a nice idea, I use the zotero plugin to save whatever I need, to the library, and I can export the latest bib file to the project I am working.

Here is my question, is there a better way to do it? Is there a better bib management out there? I really don't want to change what I am doing, if I am going to have to change it again in 6 months.

Thanks
Ankit

Physics news on Phys.org
Never heard of Zotero. I use JabRef.

I use RefTeX inside Emacs together with one long, plain .bib file that sits in the root of my home directory and to which I create symlinks. Sometimes I use JabRef with the same .bib file. It is all a matter of taste.

Reading about it some more, it seems to me that Zotero is a kind of "http://arxiv.org/help/social_bookmarking" service, similar to BibSonomy and citeulike. I tried these latter two as browser plugins, but I found that often a resource (like an article or a book) on a certain webpage was not properly recognized by the plugin and then I would still be required to enter the bibliographical data manually. How is this with Zotero, @ank_gl?

If it is good at recognizing resources, I would imagine it can be quite handy. I was planning to use BibSonomy or citeulike to keep track of potentially interesting articles and books, so I could remember them for possible future reading or reference without already pasting them into my .bib file that I use for my own writing.

Thanks Krylov for your reply. I never use Zotero for bookmarking web stuff, I only use it to on to capture academic content using the browser plugin. So far, its pretty good. It works nicely on amazon books, google books, google scholar, and even on webpages containing references to research papers.

I don't want to use one bib file in root folder because I have three work computers, and keeping multiple files is exactly what I don't want to. Well, in short, Zotero is working fine for me.

Related to How do you maintain Bibliography file for BibTex?

1. How do you create a bibliography file for BibTex?

To create a bibliography file for BibTex, you can either manually create a .bib file or use a reference management software such as JabRef or Mendeley to generate the file for you.

2. How do you add entries to a BibTex bibliography file?

To add entries to a BibTex bibliography file, you can either manually type them in using the appropriate format or use a reference management software to import the references from other sources.

3. How do you organize a BibTex bibliography file?

A BibTex bibliography file can be organized by using different entry types (e.g. article, book, conference proceedings), labels, and keys to easily locate and cite specific references. You can also use subfolders or groups within a reference management software to organize your entries.

4. How do you update a BibTex bibliography file?

To update a BibTex bibliography file, you can add new entries or edit existing ones manually or through a reference management software. You can also use the "Cite as You Write" function in the software to automatically add new references as you write your paper.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy of a BibTex bibliography file?

To ensure the accuracy of a BibTex bibliography file, it is important to carefully check and verify the information for each entry. You can also use tools like BibTeX Validator or BibTeX Check to identify and correct any errors in the file. Additionally, it is recommended to regularly update and review your bibliography file to make sure all references are accurate and up-to-date.