Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX How do you maintain Bibliography file for BibTex?

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    Hi guys,

I have several projects on my three computers which use bibliography. I maintain them manually, copying and pasting whatever is needed. Needless to say, this is becoming stupid now.

I recently started using Zotero. It seems like a nice idea, I use the zotero plugin to save whatever I need, to the library, and I can export the latest bib file to the project I am working.

Here is my question, is there a better way to do it? Is there a better bib management out there? I really dont want to change what I am doing, if I am going to have to change it again in 6 months.

Thanks
    Ankit

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Never heard of Zotero. I use JabRef.

4. Aug 12, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I use RefTeX inside Emacs together with one long, plain .bib file that sits in the root of my home directory and to which I create symlinks. Sometimes I use JabRef with the same .bib file. It is all a matter of taste.

5. Aug 13, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Reading about it some more, it seems to me that Zotero is a kind of "social bookmarking" service, similar to BibSonomy and citeulike. I tried these latter two as browser plugins, but I found that often a resource (like an article or a book) on a certain webpage was not properly recognized by the plugin and then I would still be required to enter the bibliographical data manually. How is this with Zotero, @ank_gl?

If it is good at recognizing resources, I would imagine it can be quite handy. I was planning to use BibSonomy or citeulike to keep track of potentially interesting articles and books, so I could remember them for possible future reading or reference without already pasting them into my .bib file that I use for my own writing.

6. Aug 27, 2016 #5
    Thanks Krylov for your reply. I never use Zotero for bookmarking web stuff, I only use it to on to capture academic content using the browser plugin. So far, its pretty good. It works nicely on amazon books, google books, google scholar, and even on webpages containing references to research papers.

I dont want to use one bib file in root folder because I have three work computers, and keeping multiple files is exactly what I dont want to. Well, in short, Zotero is working fine for me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted