1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you move ten feet

1. Mar 15, 2004 #1
    How do you:

Move a person at least ten feet in a horizontal direction(parrallel to the ground; measured in a straight line)without the use of the following:

Human Propultion

And without creating a set that is more ellaborate (inclusive) than building a ramp and "sled" setup. by "sled" I mean a board or other surface to sit/stand/lay on with something on the bottom to reduce friction such as ice or soap.

I have thought alot about it but I can't think of anything simple(which is one of the guidlines) that can be done, I believe that soap or something similar should be used to reduce friction, but I can't think of anything simpler than using a ramp.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2004 #2
    Why did you just create a copy of your other thread?

4. Mar 15, 2004 #3
    It's not a copy, I reworded it, and no ones in the other forum.
  5. Mar 15, 2004 #4
    I hate to break it to you, but the same people that are on that forum are on this one.

6. Mar 15, 2004 #5
    CAN you use the ramp? Because you could use a ramp to have someone slide down with little flat mini-sleds (boards or flat shoes with pieces of teflon cloth like plumbers have) on their feet and have them slide down the ramp onto a path of marbles. Or are they calling marbles "wheels"? Can they go down a ramp onto dowels?
  7. Mar 15, 2004 #6
    Well, since we got this thread, let's pretend the other one never existed.

If you can reduce the coefficient of friction to 0 and the ground is perfectly flat, then any force regardless of the strength will eventually move you ten feet. A force like wind, maybe.

How ideal a world are you considering? How much can you do in said world?

8. Mar 15, 2004 #7
    Are you allowed to use a bazooka?

What is the point of this question?
  9. Mar 15, 2004 #8
    It sounds like they are actually having to do this in the class. Bazooka is no good, there's a human element involved. An inhuman element, anyway. Maybe a big bedsheet and a big fan could work, on a path of waxed paper and with shoes that you spray Tire Black all over. But that might be too elaborate.

Good luck, micron!
  10. Mar 15, 2004 #9
    I'm a talking about the real world, as we have to actually perform it, If it were just coming up with a hypothetical way of doing it then I would not have had any problem. Because I can think of many ways to do it hypothetically, but I can't think of anythink that would be practical.

Also thanks for your suggestion holly but unfortunately someone thought of using a fan but our teacher said that since fan's have motors...
  11. Mar 15, 2004 #10
    Okay, now that we're back into the real world, what resources are available to you?

12. Mar 15, 2004 #11
    Okay, one more suggestion and then I'll leave it to the sensible people. What if, on your path of heavily sprayed wax paper and your Tire-Black dripping shoes, you also had some bean bags, with lead shot in them, and they are around your waist in a bag or fanny pack, and you THROW them the opposite way you want to go? Or maybe you could be on a sled and throw them. :smile:
    P.S. I lived on Whidbey and moved 2 years ago!
  13. Mar 15, 2004 #12
    I think that counts as human propulsion, but it is a good idea.

14. Mar 15, 2004 #13
    How about a greased cafeteria tray & a fire extinguisher for propulsion?

Still too messy?:smile:

Maybe you could attach a long hose to the fire extinguisher so it squirts out the window.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2004
  15. Mar 16, 2004 #14
    Okay, one more: You prof said no HUMAN propulsion. Could it be a trick? Could he want to throw you off the scent? I think you ought to get a nice-sized DOG to pull you on a sled. Either one of mine could pull you, easy. You'll have to have a well-trained one, though.
    Just a thought. I dreamt it, dogs pulling people around.
  16. Mar 16, 2004 #15
    Dig an inclining hole under their feet, instead of a ramp?
  17. Mar 17, 2004 #16

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fill the room with water and get yourself to float. Dribble some dishwashing detergent on one side of you thus destroying the surface tension of water on one side. The surface tension on the other side will pull you across the room. IF the teacher says "No," then offer to do a sample demonstration in a fish tank with a little boat made from paper.

By the way, is the only way to "get" this problem by correctly reading the mind of your teacher?
  18. Mar 17, 2004 #17

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use a static frame of reference. The rotation of the earth will get you ten feet pretty quickly.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?