Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you multiply/divide complex numbers in Excel?

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    I have the equation:

(.462-.32094i)*[(7.2+9.6i)/(4-8i)]

the answer is:

.107+.748i

Now, I need to know how to enter this in Excel, because the 4 will be varying and I will need many rows and then my answer to be changing with the change in the equation.

I have tried =COMPLEX(.462,-.32094)*(COMPLEX(7.2,9.6)/COMPLEX(4,-8)) but this does not work.

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2009 #2
    This isn't a direct answer, but you will be much better served now AND in the future by simply using real mathematical software. Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, etc...

4. Nov 20, 2009 #3
    See the Excel "Engineering" functions "IMPRODUCT", IMDIV", "IMSUB", "IMSUM", etc.

5. Nov 24, 2009 #4
    Here's how I'd do it...

Enter your varying number in the yellow box, your result will be displayed in the green box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  6. Dec 12, 2009 #5
    Try this:

=IMPRODUCT(COMPLEX(0.462,-0.32094),IMDIV(COMPLEX(7.2,9.6),COMPLEX(4,-8)))

7. Dec 12, 2009 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To get the complex functions you need to go to Tools->Add ins and select the Analysis Pac to install.

8. Dec 15, 2009 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could also do this the old fashioned way.

Convert your number from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates using the Pythagorean Theorem and arctangent.

Divide the magnitude as normal while subtracting the angles (best to leave it in radians).

Multiply the magnitude as normal while adding the angles.

Take powers and roots for the magnitude as normal. Multiply or divide your angle (depending on whether you're calculating a power or a root).

Convert your final answer back to rectangular coordinates using cosine and sine.

Not a whole lot of reason when Excel handles complex numbers. But it does work, especially if you're using a slide rule or a calculator that doesn't handle complex numbers.

9. Dec 17, 2009 #8
    Technically, you could count to 1,048,576 using 20 digits (fingers and toes).

Consider that with 2 digits, you can count from 0 to 3; that's 4 possible outcomes, therefore you can count 4 things with 2 digits. The 1st item is 00, the 2nd item is 01, the 3rd is 10 and the 4th is 11. (Zero items gets no label at all).

I'm just saying...

10. Dec 17, 2009 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Not a big point, but this -- (.462-.32094i)*[(7.2+9.6i)/(4-8i)] -- is not an equation. A major clue is the absence of an equals sign.

11. Dec 17, 2009 #10
    True in both points (it's not an equation and it's not a big point).

The OP should have said, "I have the expression..."

12. May 31, 2010 #11
    your right man

13. May 15, 2011 #12

xzc

"=improduct(...,imdiv(...,...))"
    ... this cell is complex numbers.

14. May 15, 2011 #13

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Two people already posted this answer (posts 3 and 5), more than a year and a half ago.

Some advice: when you find a thread via a Google search or something, check the dates on the posts before you respond.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook