How do you multiply/divide complex numbers in Excel?

In summary: If the thread is older than a week or so, it's likely that the problem was solved long ago. Also, read the entire thread before you post. If you do that, you'll see that you're not adding information or insight to the conversation, you're just repeating what others have already said.
camino
I have the equation:

(.462-.32094i)*[(7.2+9.6i)/(4-8i)]

the answer is:

.107+.748i

Now, I need to know how to enter this in Excel, because the 4 will be varying and I will need many rows and then my answer to be changing with the change in the equation.

I have tried =COMPLEX(.462,-.32094)*(COMPLEX(7.2,9.6)/COMPLEX(4,-8)) but this does not work.

Please help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
This isn't a direct answer, but you will be much better served now AND in the future by simply using real mathematical software. Mathematica, Matlab, Maple, etc...

See the Excel "Engineering" functions "IMPRODUCT", IMDIV", "IMSUB", "IMSUM", etc.

Here's how I'd do it...

Enter your varying number in the yellow box, your result will be displayed in the green box.

Attachments

• Complex.xls
    13.5 KB · Views: 2,814
Last edited:
Try this:

=IMPRODUCT(COMPLEX(0.462,-0.32094),IMDIV(COMPLEX(7.2,9.6),COMPLEX(4,-8)))

To get the complex functions you need to go to Tools->Add ins and select the Analysis Pac to install.

You could also do this the old fashioned way.

Convert your number from rectangular coordinates to polar coordinates using the Pythagorean Theorem and arctangent.

Divide the magnitude as normal while subtracting the angles (best to leave it in radians).

Multiply the magnitude as normal while adding the angles.

Take powers and roots for the magnitude as normal. Multiply or divide your angle (depending on whether you're calculating a power or a root).

Convert your final answer back to rectangular coordinates using cosine and sine.

Not a whole lot of reason when Excel handles complex numbers. But it does work, especially if you're using a slide rule or a calculator that doesn't handle complex numbers.

BobG said:
If God meant for man to count higher than 1,048,575 he would have given him more fingers and toes.

Technically, you could count to 1,048,576 using 20 digits (fingers and toes).

Consider that with 2 digits, you can count from 0 to 3; that's 4 possible outcomes, therefore you can count 4 things with 2 digits. The 1st item is 00, the 2nd item is 01, the 3rd is 10 and the 4th is 11. (Zero items gets no label at all).

I'm just saying...

camino said:
I have the equation:

(.462-.32094i)*[(7.2+9.6i)/(4-8i)]

the answer is:

.107+.748i
Not a big point, but this -- (.462-.32094i)*[(7.2+9.6i)/(4-8i)] -- is not an equation. A major clue is the absence of an equals sign.

Mark44 said:
Not a big point, but this -- (.462-.32094i)*[(7.2+9.6i)/(4-8i)] -- is not an equation. A major clue is the absence of an equals sign.

True in both points (it's not an equation and it's not a big point).

The OP should have said, "I have the expression..."

your right man

"=improduct(...,imdiv(...,...))"
... this cell is complex numbers.

Two people already posted this answer (posts 3 and 5), more than a year and a half ago.

Some advice: when you find a thread via a Google search or something, check the dates on the posts before you respond.

1. How do I enter a complex number in Excel?

To enter a complex number in Excel, use the format "a+bi" where a is the real component and b is the imaginary component. For example, to enter the complex number 2+3i, type "2+3i" in a cell and press Enter.

2. How do I perform multiplication of complex numbers in Excel?

To multiply complex numbers in Excel, use the IMPRODUCT function. This function takes in two or more complex numbers as arguments and returns their product. For example, to multiply the complex numbers 2+3i and 4+5i, use the formula "=IMPRODUCT(2+3i,4+5i)" and press Enter.

3. How do I divide complex numbers in Excel?

To divide complex numbers in Excel, use the IMDIV function. This function takes in two complex numbers as arguments and returns their quotient. For example, to divide the complex numbers 2+3i by 4+5i, use the formula "=IMDIV(2+3i,4+5i)" and press Enter.

4. Can I perform calculations with complex numbers in Excel without using formulas?

Yes, you can perform basic arithmetic operations (+,-,*,/) with complex numbers in Excel without using formulas. Simply enter the complex numbers in the desired cells and use the appropriate operator to perform the calculation. However, using functions such as IMPRODUCT and IMDIV allows for more complex calculations and easier handling of multiple complex numbers.

5. How do I display the result of a complex number calculation in the correct format in Excel?

By default, Excel displays complex numbers in the format "a+bxi". To change this, go to File > Options > Advanced, and under the section "When calculating this workbook", select the option "Use the following calculation options" and check the box next to "Use 1904 date system". This will display complex numbers in the format "a+bi".