How do you work out simultaneous eqns w/ complex numbers & phasor

In summary, to solve simultaneous complex equations, you can convert the equations into complex impedances and use complex arithmetic to solve them. For simple problems, you can add the phasors like vectors. If you have a take-home exam, you can use online solvers or get a calculator that can handle complex equations. If it is an in-class exam, you can use a program or calculator that can handle complex arithmetic. Excel also has a complex system that can be used to solve these equations after rearranging them.
whatphysics
I'm having trouble figuring out to get the answers from the 2 equations. The phasors and complex numbers confuse me. Do I need to change the phasor form? How do I go about doing this thanks! (Not homework question I am trying to figure this for my exam!)

Attachments

• IMG_5413.JPG
    IMG_5413.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 868
Engineering news on Phys.org
There are lots of ways to do this sort of problem ...
For complicated meshes, you may find it easier to convert to complex impedences and use a+jb type notation.
So 20∠0 would be just 20+0j, 20∠π/2 would be 0+20j (j=√-1). Then you can solve the simultaneous equations normally.

For simple problems you can usually just add the phasors like vectors.

Likes whatphysics
Rearrange your equations so that coefficients of I1 and I2 are together like this:

(5-j2)*I1 + (-3)*I2 = 30
(-5)*I1 + (3+j8)*I2 = 0

Now you can use a standard method to solve them but with complex arithmetic: http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/system-of-equations-solver/system-2x2.php

Will your exam be a take home? If so, you can find solvers on the internet to do the job; search for "simultaneous complex linear equations calculator". If you will be solving systems like this at school, you should get an app for your laptop or get a calculator that can solve simultaneous complex equations.

Likes whatphysics
The Electrician said:
Rearrange your equations so that coefficients of I1 and I2 are together like this:

(5-j2)*I1 + (-3)*I2 = 30
(-5)*I1 + (3+j8)*I2 = 0

Now you can use a standard method to solve them but with complex arithmetic: http://www.mathportal.org/calculators/system-of-equations-solver/system-2x2.php

Will your exam be a take home? If so, you can find solvers on the internet to do the job; search for "simultaneous complex linear equations calculator". If you will be solving systems like this at school, you should get an app for your laptop or get a calculator that can solve simultaneous complex equations.
No unfortunately it isn't a take home exam, I have a Texas instrument Graphic Calculator but I don't think it can solve complex simultaneous equations.

But thanks for the great help!

Simon Bridge said:
There are lots of ways to do this sort of problem ...
For complicated meshes, you may find it easier to convert to complex impedences and use a+jb type notation.
So 20∠0 would be just 20+0j, 20∠π/2 would be 0+20j (j=√-1). Then you can solve the simultaneous equations normally.

For simple problems you can usually just add the phasors like vectors.
I will try it again using your method. Thanks for the help!

whatphysics said:
No unfortunately it isn't a take home exam, I have a Texas instrument Graphic Calculator but I don't think it can solve complex simultaneous equations.

But thanks for the great help!

What model is your TI calculator?

In "the good old days" FORTRAN implicitly knew about complex numbers.

So if you can make a program that can solve simultaneous equations with real numbers, you just declare these real numbers as complex numbers, and FORTRAN will do the job. All calculations ( addition, division, etc. ) will be done with complex numbers.

The Electrician said:
What model is your TI calculator?

TI-84 Plus Pocket SE

It might be worth your while to get a calculator that can do complex arithmetic. The TI-86 can do complex arithmetic, including matrices with complex arithmetic.

I see them for sale on eBay from $20 to $35.

Likes CalcNerd
I, usually, use the excel complex system.
However, at first you have to rearrange the equation as The Electrician said.
a*I1+b*I2=V1 where a=5-j2; b=-3+j0 ;c=-5+j0; d=3+j8; V1=30+j0; V2=0
c*I1+d*I2=V2
1) define a,b,c,d,V1,V2
2) put a=COMPLEX(Re,Im) where Re=5 and Im=-2 in your case.
Do the same with b,c, d,V1 and V2.
3) define DetGen and put IMSUB(IMPRODUCT(a,d),IMPRODUCT(b,c))
4) define DetI1 and set IMSUB(IMPRODUCT(V1,d),IMPRODUCT(V2,b))
5) define DetI2 and put IMSUB(IMPRODUCT(V2,a),IMPRODUCT(V1,c))
6) I1=IMDIV(DetI1,DetGen); I2=IMDIV(DetI2,DetGen)

1. How do you represent complex numbers in simultaneous equations?

In simultaneous equations, complex numbers are represented using the standard form of a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. For example, 3+4i is a complex number.

2. What is a phasor in relation to simultaneous equations with complex numbers?

A phasor is a rotating vector that represents a sinusoidal function in the complex plane. In simultaneous equations with complex numbers, phasors are used to represent the magnitude and phase of each sinusoidal term.

3. How do you solve simultaneous equations with complex numbers and phasors?

To solve simultaneous equations with complex numbers and phasors, you first need to convert the equations into their phasor form. Then, you can manipulate the equations using algebraic techniques to solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common techniques used to solve simultaneous equations with complex numbers and phasors?

Some common techniques used to solve simultaneous equations with complex numbers and phasors include substitution, elimination, and the use of complex conjugates to eliminate imaginary terms.

5. How can simultaneous equations with complex numbers and phasors be applied in real-life situations?

Simultaneous equations with complex numbers and phasors are commonly used in electrical engineering, particularly in the analysis of AC circuits. They can also be applied in fields such as physics and mathematics to model and solve systems with multiple sinusoidal functions.