How do you solve a 4th degree equation?

• Thread starter nmbr42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, using the rational root theorem, you can find the roots of a polynomial equation if you know the leading coefficient and constant term.
nmbr42

Homework Statement

From the higher order linear homogeneous differential equation, I get the characteristic equation:
r^4 + r^3 -7r^2 -r + 6 = 0
solve for r.

Homework Equations

how do you do this?

The Attempt at a Solution

Even if I factor out the r from the first 4 terms on the LH, i get no where. I wish in high school they went over this stuff, but they seriously didn't

Physics news on Phys.org
nmbr42 said:

Homework Statement

From the higher order linear homogeneous differential equation, I get the characteristic equation:
r^4 + r^3 -7r^2 -r + 6 = 0
solve for r.

Homework Equations

how do you do this?

The Attempt at a Solution

Even if I factor out the r from the first 4 terms on the LH, i get no where. I wish in high school they went over this stuff, but they seriously didn't
It's fairly easy to see that r = 1 is a solution.

Almost as easy to see that r = -1 is also a solution.

nmbr42: the usual approach is to guess, using your experience of how the equations work, then use long division to remove the guessed factors. It is usually taught in junior High School. Possibly you were sick that day or more interested in other things.

How easy it is to realize that 1 and -1 are roots does kinda depend on your experience with these things... but you do learn how to make good guesses as you become familiar with the way polynomials behave.

In a pinch you can use Newton/Raphson to get the first root, or just use a computer to plot the graph :) and there are general solutions online.

One important guide to making "guesses" is the "rational root theorem".

"Any rational number, satisfying [itex]a_nx^n+ a_{n-1}x^{n-1}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_1x+ a_0= 0[/itex], is of the form m/n where m evenly divides the "constant term", [itex]a_0[/itex] and n evenly divides the "leading coefficient", [itex]a_n[/itex]."

Of course, it is always possible that a polynomial equation does not have any rational roots but we can tell that if this equation has rational roots, they must be integers (because the leading coefficent is 1 and only 1 divides 1) and must be 1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 6, or -6 (because the constant term is 6 and only those numbers divide 6).

I actually used this link to help me since Simon Bridge mentioned about long division:
http://www.purplemath.com/modules/polydiv3.htm

quite simple straight forward method.
the roots are -3,2,1, and -1.
Since -1 and 1 are guesses that actually worked, I first divided the equation by (r-1) then (r+1). Then at last you get the equation
r^2 + r -6 =0

no worries... it's all good and glad we could help :)

Related to How do you solve a 4th degree equation?

1. What is a 4th degree equation?

A 4th degree equation is a polynomial equation in which the highest exponent of the variable is 4. It can be represented in the form ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e = 0, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you solve a 4th degree equation?

To solve a 4th degree equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, grouping, or the quadratic formula. However, for more complex equations, it may be necessary to use numerical methods or software like MATLAB to find approximate solutions.

3. Can a 4th degree equation have more than 4 solutions?

Yes, a 4th degree equation can have up to 4 real solutions, but it can also have complex solutions. The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra states that a polynomial equation of degree n has exactly n complex solutions, counting multiplicities.

4. Are there any special cases for solving 4th degree equations?

Yes, there are two special cases for solving 4th degree equations: when the equation is a perfect square and when it can be reduced to a quadratic equation. In the first case, the equation can be factored into the square of a binomial. In the second case, the equation can be rewritten as a quadratic equation by substituting a new variable.

5. How are 4th degree equations used in real life?

4th degree equations are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and computer graphics, to model and solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to calculate trajectories of projectiles, analyze chemical reactions, and create 3D animations. They also have applications in signal processing, control systems, and optimization problems.