How Do You Solve a Cubic Equation Using Cardano's Formula?

In summary: I think this is correct because the other two roots are complex conjugates. Also, the graph of the original equation was a good guide.It’s a good idea to keep the original equation in mind while you are solving the depressed cubic. Or, as is often the case, it is best to write down the depressed cubic, work on it, and then, after you have arrived at the correct value for x, substitute back in for x and see if the original equation is satisfied.There are times when it is not possible to see how the depressed cubic arises from the original equation, but, in the present case, it is possible to see the connection. (Note that it is impossible to say anything about the signs of the
cscott0001

Homework Statement

Use Cardano's formula to find a real root for ##3x^3-45x^2+243x-525=0##. [Edited to correct mistake]

Homework Equations

$$x = u - \frac{b}{3a}$$
Depressed cubic: $$u^3=3pu+2q$$
Cardano's formula: $$u=\sqrt[3]{q+\sqrt{q^2-p^3}}+\sqrt[3]{q-\sqrt{q^2-p^3}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the depressed cubic to be ##x^3=20-6x##. I found ##3p= -6## and ##2q=20 \to p=-2## and ##q=10##. Using Cardano's formula, I arrived at ##u=\sqrt[3]{10+\sqrt{108}}+\sqrt[3]{10-\sqrt{108}}##. However, I graphed the equation and know that it should be 7. If I change my answer to ##u=\sqrt[3]{10+\sqrt{108}}-\sqrt[3]{-10+\sqrt{108}}## and use this answer (2) to solve ##x = u - \frac{b}{3a}## I get the right answer (7), but I have no idea mathematically why I would do that, or how I'd arrive there. I have been staring at this for two days with little progress; where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cscott0001 said:

Homework Statement

Use Cardano's formula to find a real root for ##x^3-15x^2+243x-525=0##.

Homework Equations

$$x = u - \frac{b}{3a}$$
Depressed cubic: $$u^3=3pu+2q$$
Cardano's formula: $$u=\sqrt[3]{q+\sqrt{q^2-p^3}}+\sqrt[3]{q-\sqrt{q^2-p^3}}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the depressed cubic to be ##x^3=20-6x##. I found ##3p= -6## and ##2q=20 \to p=-2## and ##q=10##. Using Cardano's formula, I arrived at ##u=\sqrt[3]{10+\sqrt{108}}+\sqrt[3]{10-\sqrt{108}}##. However, I graphed the equation and know that it should be 7. If I change my answer to ##u=\sqrt[3]{10+\sqrt{108}}-\sqrt[3]{-10+\sqrt{108}}## and use this answer (2) to solve ##x = u - \frac{b}{3a}## I get the right answer (7), but I have no idea mathematically why I would do that, or how I'd arrive there. I have been staring at this for two days with little progress; where did I go wrong?

I don't know where you went wrong, but you did, indeed, go wrong. Using Maple, the solution to
$$ (1) \hspace{2em} x^3-15x^2+243x-525=0$$
is
$$-(220+4*14001^{1/2})^{1/3}+56/(220+4*14001^{1/2})^{1/3}+5 \doteq 2.476595025 $$
(together with two complex roots), while the solution of
$$(2) \hspace{2em} x^3 +6x - 20 = 0$$
is ##x = 2## (together with two complex roots).

Oh geez, that's my fault. The original equation is ##3x^3-75x^2+243x-525=0##. I gave one half with the 3 factored out and one half without the 3 factored out...

cscott0001 said:
Oh geez, that's my fault. The original equation is ##3x^3-75x^2+243x-525=0##. I gave one half with the 3 factored out and one half without the 3 factored out...

OK, so now the real root of this is
$$1/3*(8875+3*2558073^{1/2})^{1/3}+382/3/(8875+3*2558073^{1/2})^{1/3}+25/3 \doteq 21.62912601 $$

BTW: when discussing Cardano's formula you should tell us what ##a,b,c,d## stand for. I have seen different sources use different conventions!

Also, write the formulas for ##p## and ##q## in terms of ##a,b,c,d##. We can't help if we can't figure out what you are doing.

Last edited:
Thank you for your time, I'll try to add as much relevant detail to my question as I can (and finally state the given equation correctly). It is ##3x^3-45x^2+243x-525=0##, making ##a=3##, ##b=-45##, ##c=243##, ##d=-525##. I quadruple-checked this time!

The method we were taught was to take an equation in the form ##ax^3+bx^2+cx+d=0## and find the depressed cubic in the form ##u^3-3pu+2q=0## by substituting ##x = u-\frac{b}{3a}## and then solving ##a(u-\frac{b}{3a})^3+b(u-\frac{b}{3a})^2+c(u-\frac{b}{3a})+d=0## for ##u##. I factored a 3 out of the given equation, which gave me ##a=1##, ##b=-15##, ##c=81##, ##d=-175##, which makes the equation ##x^3-15x^2+81x-175=0##. I made the substitution of ##x = u -\frac{(-15)}{3(1)}=u+5##. Substituting this value in for ##x##: ##(u+5)^3-15(u+5)^2+81(u+5)-175=u^3+6u-20=0##. We were shown examples in class where the next step was to use this depressed cubic in the form ##x^3=3px+2q## to supply the values of ##p## and ##q##: ##u^3=20-6u##, so ##20=2q## and ##3p=-6##. I'm not sure how to write that in terms of the original equation, I did not use ##a, b, c,## or ##d## to find ##p## and ##q##. I used these values for ##p## and ##q## in Cardano's formula listed above to arrive at my thoroughly incorrect solution.

It seems you only went wrong at the very end. The evaluation of Cardano’s formula as you computed it (before fiddling with it) should be approx

2.732 + - .732 ( note: cube root of negative number -.392...). This yields the expected answer of 7 for u + 5

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Solve a Cubic Equation Using Cardano's Formula?

1. What is Cardano?

Cardano is a blockchain platform that uses a proof-of-stake algorithm to validate transactions and create new blocks. It was created in 2015 by a team of researchers, engineers, and scientists, and aims to provide a more secure, sustainable, and scalable alternative to other blockchain networks.

2. Why do people struggle with using Cardano?

One of the main reasons people struggle with Cardano is because it is a relatively new and complex technology. It requires a certain level of technical knowledge and understanding to navigate and use effectively. Additionally, the platform is constantly evolving and improving, which can make it challenging for users to keep up with the latest updates and changes.

3. Is Cardano a good investment?

This is a subjective question and the answer will depend on individual opinions and financial goals. However, Cardano has been gaining traction and attention in the cryptocurrency market and has a strong community and development team behind it. It also has several unique features and potential use cases, which may make it a promising investment option for some.

4. How can I start using Cardano?

To start using Cardano, you will first need to create a wallet to store your ADA (the native cryptocurrency of Cardano). You can then purchase ADA on a cryptocurrency exchange and transfer it to your wallet. From there, you can participate in the network by staking your ADA or using it to make transactions on the network.

5. What are some common challenges when using Cardano?

Some common challenges when using Cardano include understanding the technical aspects of the platform, keeping up with updates and changes, and dealing with potential network congestion or delays. It is also important to properly secure and manage your private keys and ADA to avoid any potential loss or theft.