Tech Battery Basics: Understanding the Flow of Electrons and Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggles with understanding electricity, particularly the working of batteries and the flow of electrons. The models of how batteries work are explained and the concept of electrical potential energy is discussed. The relationship between voltage, EMF, and electron movement is explained in the context of a circuit and the transfer of energy to perform work. The conversation also raises questions about the behavior of electrons before and after a light bulb in a circuit with multiple bulbs.
digital_biscu
Hi All

Currently studying for a Subject Enhancement Course prior to starting a PGCE and I am struggling with the Electricity side of things! Something I also struggled with at A-Levels myself many years ago...

My query is how does batteries work. I understand the model whereby electrons are generated at the anode and used at the cathode and when you place a circuit between these then there is a flow of electrons. However, lots of websites state that the anode and cathode sit in the same electrolyte, some with separators which allow ions through. Surely then, if this is the case there will just be a flow of electrons from the anode to the cathode inside the battery and adding any type of circuit would be fruitless? So, which model is correct and if it is the latter, please explain to me how it actually works?

Secondly, I am guessing that the electrons have energy and it is this that is used up in components such as lights etc. I know this is "Electrical Potential Energy" but is there anything more specific to describe the energy? Also, how would an electron before a bulb be different from one after a bulb? And finally, if there are 3 bulbs in a series circuit how would the electrons know to only give up a third of that energy?

Many thanks in advance and sorry for the epic amount of questions!
Digi

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it only allows positive ions to move through it. The electrons move through the circuit. This article explains it in a little bit of detail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_cell

Secondly, I am guessing that the electrons have energy and it is this that is used up in components such as lights etc. I know this is "Electrical Potential Energy" but is there anything more specific to describe the energy?

Applying a voltage to the circuit generates an EMF that causes the electrons to move. It is what gives them the energy needed to perform the work the circuit will do. Consider the very simple case of an electron placed near an electrode. If we then apply a negative charge to the electrode the electron will experience a force that moves it away from the electrode. This is what is meant by "Electrical Potential Energy". When we applied the negative charge the electron acquired potential energy that was converted into kinetic energy as the electron accelerated away from the electrode. This moving electron can then perform work on something.

In a circuit the same basic rules apply. We apply a voltage which generates an EMF in the circuit which causes electrons to move. These moving electrons have energy and generate fields that can be used to perform work. This of course requires energy which we are providing by the voltage source.
Also, how would an electron before a bulb be different from one after a bulb? And finally, if there are 3 bulbs in a series circuit how would the electrons know to only give up a third of that energy?

It would not be different. I'm not sure how to explain it though.

Related to Tech Battery Basics: Understanding the Flow of Electrons and Energy

1. How does a battery produce electricity?

A battery produces electricity through a chemical reaction that occurs within it. Inside the battery, there are two electrodes - a positive one and a negative one - and an electrolyte solution. When the battery is connected to a circuit, the chemical reaction between the electrodes and electrolyte creates a flow of electrons, which is what we know as electricity.

2. What is the role of the electrodes in a battery?

The electrodes in a battery are responsible for storing and releasing electrical energy. The positive electrode, also known as the cathode, is made of a material that can accept electrons, while the negative electrode, also known as the anode, is made of a material that can release electrons. This flow of electrons between the electrodes is what creates electricity.

3. How does a battery store energy?

A battery stores energy through a process called electrochemical reaction. When the battery is charged, the chemical reaction between the electrodes and electrolyte allows the electrodes to store energy in the form of potential energy. When the battery is connected to a circuit, this stored energy is released as a flow of electrons, producing electricity.

4. What factors affect the performance of a battery?

The performance of a battery can be affected by several factors, including its size, type of electrodes and electrolyte used, and the temperature. The type of material used in the electrodes and the concentration of the electrolyte can also impact the battery's performance. The age and usage of the battery can also affect its performance over time.

5. Can a battery be recharged?

Yes, most batteries can be recharged. Rechargeable batteries, also known as secondary batteries, have the ability to reverse the electrochemical reaction and restore the battery's energy storage capacity. This can be done by using an external power source, such as a charging device, to send an electric current back into the battery, reversing the flow of electrons and restoring its energy.