How does a frequency multiplier work?

In summary, frequency multipliers physically work by multiplying an input signal to a desired amount. They can be used to generate terahertz signals, but the process to do so is usually very expensive and requires high quality components.
rjsalmon
Hi,

I'm trying to work out how frequency multipliers physically work. What processes go on in order to multiply an input signal to a desired amount (ie 2 or 3 times the original frequency). I am interested in their use to generate a terahertz signal though I assume they work the same at most frequencies.

I hope someone can help.

Likes Ali Devrim OGUZ
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can think of two types of frequency multiplier.

The first uses an amplifier that is deliberately driven into distortion so that a complex waveform is produced.

This will contain output on multiples of the input frequency.

Tuned circuits are then tuned to the required harmonic to recover this harmonic and reject others.

This is typically done in receivers and transmitters where a known stable signal is available but a multiple of that frequency is needed as a local oscillator for a mixer.

The other type of frequency multiplier is one that uses a free running oscillator near the desired high frequency. This oscillator frequency is divided by some exact amount using a digital divider.
This divided down signal is then compared with a known reference in a phase comparator and an error signal is sent back to the oscillator to pull it onto an exact multiple of the reference signal.

I also saw a reference to someone multiplying the frequency of a red laser to get green laser output. I have no idea how they did that.

Likes Ali Devrim OGUZ
I'm trying to work out how frequency multipliers physically work. What processes go on in order to multiply an input signal to a desired amount
Multiplication occurs when a sine wave is subjected to a non-linear device such a as diode that has an exponential response

[tex] i \sim e^v [/tex]If you know calculus, you can expand the exponential using Taylor series:[tex] i \sim 1 + \frac{v^2}{2} + \frac{v^3}{6} ...+ \frac{v^n}{n!} [/tex]Notice, we have the v^2 term - if you square a sine wave

[tex] v = \sin(\omega t) [/tex]

[tex] \sin^2(\omega t) = \frac{1}{2}(1-cos(2\omega t)) [/tex]and hence the frequency is doubled. Note, that the higher order terms are usually negligible. It is possible to optimize the diode for the 3rd order term to triple the frequency or quadruple it. But the power goes down quickly.

Last edited:
rjsalmon said:
I am interested in their use to generate a terahertz signal though I assume they work the same at most frequencies.

The t-rays are primarily generated by multiplication, however, the expense and quality of components that goes in making these is huge. A simple set up could cost you as much as a new car.

Instead, consider working at lower frequencies in the KHz, and MHz range which is cheap to do.

Also as vk6kro, mentioned, the light in green laser pointers is actually derived from an infrared laser shining into a non-linear crystal that generates the 2nd harmonic (green light), you can experiment with that:

Here is an example of a laser doubler:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant, thank you both very much. Its too difficult to find this information out online.
Rob

Thank you for sharing your information

1. How does a frequency multiplier work?

A frequency multiplier is a device that takes an input signal and produces an output signal with a higher frequency. It works by using a nonlinear element, such as a diode or transistor, to distort the input signal and generate harmonics. These harmonics are then filtered and combined to produce the desired output frequency.

2. What is the purpose of a frequency multiplier?

The main purpose of a frequency multiplier is to increase the frequency of an input signal without using traditional methods such as crystal oscillators. This can be useful in applications where a higher frequency is needed, such as in wireless communication systems or high-speed data transmission.

3. How accurate is a frequency multiplier?

The accuracy of a frequency multiplier depends on the quality of the input signal and the design of the circuit. In general, the higher the input frequency, the more accurate the output frequency will be. However, variations in temperature and other factors can also affect the accuracy of the multiplier.

4. Can a frequency multiplier produce an infinite output frequency?

No, a frequency multiplier cannot produce an infinite output frequency. It is limited by the capabilities of the nonlinear element and the design of the circuit. In practical applications, the output frequency is typically limited to a few times the input frequency.

5. Are there any limitations to using a frequency multiplier?

One limitation of using a frequency multiplier is that it can introduce unwanted harmonics and noise into the output signal. This can be mitigated by using high-quality components and careful circuit design. Additionally, frequency multipliers may not be suitable for high-power applications as the nonlinear element can become damaged at high input power levels.