Understanding Magnetic Fields: Particles, Forces, and Motion Explained

• Thread starter big prairie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary: So yes, protons and other charged particles can exhibit the magnetic phenomenon. However, because electrons have a relatively large spin and are often involved in motion, they are typically the particles most associated with magnetism.
big prairie
Is there any evidence that particles are exchanged to mediate the magnetic force?

If there is how do these particles cause a one magnet to cause motion in a
particular direction for another magnet?

If there are no particles mediating this reaction how would a field line exert the
force?

What are magnetic fields made of?

Physics news on Phys.org
big prairie said:
Is there any evidence that particles are exchanged to mediate the magnetic force?

No, particles are not exchanged in any way.

No D=

If there are no particles mediating this reaction how would a field line exert the
force?

In a raw piece of metal, domains of motion are all in disorted order. Magnet generates a magnetic field that aligns all those domains in one direction, thus forcing them to move towards the magnet.

Out of magnetic fieldsMore info about magnets can be found here: http://coolmagnetman.com/maghow.htm

big prairie said:

According to quantum electrodynamics, the magnetic force (and the electric force) is mediated by virtual photons. The theory makes very accurate predictions. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precision_tests_of_QED

The evidence for virtual particles is indirect because an individual virtual particle cannot be observed. According to the theory, what we see are the aggregate effects of an infinite number of virtual particles. From a philosophical standpoint, one can argue that this does not really prove that virtual particles exist. And that is correct. It doesn't really prove it. But the theory works very well and will continue to be used until a better one comes along.

force?

Magnetism is a fairly complicated force. You can find a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=95523

Photons (maybe).

Crazy Tosser said:
No, particles are not exchanged in any way.

That's the classical theory of electromagnetism. This is the quantum age. ;)

Thank you everyone for your time. I have checked out the links and read everyones comments. I would like to ask some follow up questions.
1. Am I correct in believing that the dominantcurrent theory says that the mediator of the electromagnetic force is the virtual photon?
2. Is the transmission of virtual photons supposed to be the source of magnetic field lines?
3. How is it that virtual photons are thought to cause something to move toward something else?
4. Is it correct to say magnetic domains within a material are caused by groups of atoms that have aligned their electron spins? What is meant by saying that the electron spins are aligned?

I appreciate knowing when something is suggested by direct evidence and when it is implied by indirect evidence and when we just don't know.

big prairie said:
Thank you everyone for your time. I have checked out the links and read everyones comments. I would like to ask some follow up questions.
1. Am I correct in believing that the dominantcurrent theory says that the mediator of the electromagnetic force is the virtual photon?

Yes.

2. Is the transmission of virtual photons supposed to be the source of magnetic field lines?

Yes. But one shouldn't think of the photons as traveling along the field lines. A virtual photon travels from one charged particle to another. The field lines are a way of representing the classical field. They are only indirectly related to the virtual photons.

3. How is it that virtual photons are thought to cause something to move toward something else?

One charged particle emits a virtual photon. Another charged particle absorbs it. In the process, the particles exchange some energy and momentum, and this causes a change in motion.

You can find a good explanation of the theory in the book "QED" by Richard Feynman.

4. Is it correct to say magnetic domains within a material are caused by groups of atoms that have aligned their electron spins?

Yes.

What is meant by saying that the electron spins are aligned?

"Spin" is the intrinsic angular momentum of the electron. The electron has some properties that are similar to what you would expect if it were a little spinning ball. (Purists will tell you that it's not really a spinning ball. It just has some properties that are like a spinning ball.) Anyway, if the spins are aligned, that just means that the electrons are spinning the same way. (Purists will tell you that's not the right way to think about it, but that's simplest way I can think of to explain it.)

Last edited:
Phlogistonian,

I could see momentum pushing but how can it pull?

Last edited:
big prairie said:
Phlogistonian,

I could see momentum pushing but how can it pull?

Good question. That's never been clear to me, either. I remember wondering about that, but when I learned QED, I got so bogged down in learning the details of the mathematics that I forgot about it. QED is very complicated. :yuck:

It bothers me that I don't know this, so I'll look into it, but it may take me days or weeks to figure it out. Maybe someone who understands it better can answer your question.

Please excuse my laziness in research before asking this, but is magnetism associated only with electrons, or can other charged particles exhibit the magnetic phenomenon, such as the proton, etc...?

pallidin said:
Please excuse my laziness in research before asking this, but is magnetism associated only with electrons, or can other charged particles exhibit the magnetic phenomenon, such as the proton, etc...?

Every charged particle with spin possesses an inherent magnetic field. And every charged particle in motion produces an additional magnetic field from the motion.

1. What are magnetic fields?

Magnetic fields are regions of space where magnetic forces are exerted on objects that possess magnetic properties. They are created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and are represented by lines of force that indicate the direction and strength of the field.

2. How do particles interact with magnetic fields?

Particles with electric charges, such as electrons, protons, and ions, are affected by magnetic fields because they have a property called magnetic moment. This means they have a magnetic field associated with them. When a particle enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force that is perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the relationship between magnetic fields and motion?

Magnetic fields can cause objects with electric charges to move in circular or spiral paths. This is because the magnetic force acts as a centripetal force, continuously changing the direction of the particle's velocity. This is the principle behind devices like MRI machines and particle accelerators.

4. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer, which can detect the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The unit of measurement for magnetic field strength is the tesla (T) or, for smaller fields, the gauss (G).

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in technologies such as motors, generators, speakers, and hard drives. They are also used in medical imaging, navigation systems, and in Earth's magnetic field for compasses. Additionally, many animals, such as birds and bees, use magnetic fields for navigation.