How Does a Uniform Spherical Charge Influence a Linear Charge Along the Z-Axis?

In summary, a line charge of length L with a constant linear charge density lies along the positive Z axis with its ends located at z=z0 and z0+L. The total force on the line charge is found by considering the total charge contained on the line charge and the uniform spherical charge distribution with center at the origin and radius a<z0. The force at a point on the line charge can be calculated using q*q'/r^2 in the z direction, where q is the charge on the line charge and q' is the charge on the spherical distribution. Integrating over the entire line charge gives the final answer, with a correction for using just the charge density lambda instead of the total charge lambda*L.
schattenjaeger
A line charge of length L with lamba=const.(linear charge density) lies along the positive Z axis with its ends located at z=z0 and z0+L. Find the total force on the line charge due to a uniform spherical charge distribution with center at origin and radius a<z0

Sooo here's what I DID

I knew the total charge contained on the line charge was lamba*L, and the total charge contained in the sphere was 4/3 pi a^3 * rho where rho was its charge density, and it could be treated like a point particle with that total charge since the line charge didn't go inside it.

So my vector going from the origin to my field point was r=zk(k unit vector in z direction)and r'=0 since the source point was on the origin,so R^2=z^2

so the Force on a point on the line charge I took to be q*q'/r^2 in the z direction which was, after simplifying, (lamba*L*a^3*rho)/(3ez^2) where e is permitivitty of free space or whatever. so integrating over the whole line charge, ie F=S(allthat)*dz from z0 to z0+L, well, ALMOST gave me the right answer, I got an L^2 in the final answer when there should be just a single L

so I think earlier when I was finding the force at a point on the line charge, I had to JUST use lambda and not the whole line charge lamda*L?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you hav got the problem, and cahrge on each elemnent of the stick is Lam.dr.

Related to How Does a Uniform Spherical Charge Influence a Linear Charge Along the Z-Axis?

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the Coulomb force calculated?

The Coulomb force is calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb constant (9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles in Coulombs, and r is the distance between them in meters.

3. What is the difference between Coulomb force and gravitational force?

Coulomb force is the force between two charged particles, while gravitational force is the force between two massive objects. Coulomb force depends on the charges of the particles and the distance between them, while gravitational force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. Additionally, Coulomb force can be either attractive or repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.

4. Can Coulomb force act through a vacuum?

Yes, Coulomb force can act through a vacuum. This is because electric charges do not require a medium to interact with each other. This is in contrast to other types of forces, such as friction, which require a physical medium to act upon.

5. How does the Coulomb force affect the motion of charged particles?

The Coulomb force can accelerate or decelerate charged particles, depending on the direction of the force. If the force is in the same direction as the particle's velocity, it will accelerate the particle, while if the force is in the opposite direction, it will decelerate the particle. Additionally, the Coulomb force can also cause charged particles to change direction, resulting in circular or elliptical motion.