How does force change momentum?

In summary: Yeah, that is SUCH a problem on this forum. People just pile on even after an OP has been asked to clarify something or explain HIS though processes but has made zero response, as in this case.
Kamal
Let's say we are in outer space.Suppose I have 2 metallic balls A and B with initial velocity 0 and same mass M and a baseball bat.Let's say I hit the ball A with force F and ball B with F' in such a way that F>F'.Ball A attain final velocity V in time T and ball B attain final velocity V' in time T'.Let's say D is distance traveled by A in time T and D' is distance traveled by B in time T'.I know that V >V'.Please say whether T>T' or vice versa and D>D' or vice versa.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kamal said:
Let's say we are in outer space.Suppose I have 2 metallic balls A and B with initial velocity 0 and same mass M and a baseball bat.Let's say I hit the ball A with force F and ball B with F' in such a way that F>F'.Ball A attain final velocity V in time T and ball B attain final velocity V' in time T'.Let's say D is distance traveled by A in time T and D' is distance traveled by B in time T'.I know that V >V'.Please say whether T>T' or vice versa and D>D' or vice versa.
What do YOU think, and why?

@Kamal I see that you are new to the forum so you may be under the mistaken impression that this is a Q&A forum where you just ask a question and get the answer. It is not. We expect you to give your own answers and explain your own thought process and then we can help if you have gone wrong.

Thread moved to classical physics.

Likes Kamalesh
Kamal said:
Let's say I hit the ball A with force F and ball B with F' in such a way that F>F'.Ball A attain final velocity V in time T and ball B attain final velocity V' in time T'. ... I know that V >V'.
Actually, we do not know that V>V' because we are not given any information about T or T'.

Dale said:
Actually, we do not know that V>V' because we are not given any information about T or T'.
Since F>F' and initial velocity is zero we can say V>V' because greater the force greater will be the energy transferred greater the energy transferred greater will be the final velocity.

Kamalesh said:
Since F>F' and initial velocity is zero we can say V>V' because greater the force greater will be the energy transferred greater the energy transferred greater will be the final velocity.
This is not correct. What will happen if F = 10 N and F' = 5 N (F>F') and if T = 1 s and T' = 10 s?

Likes Delta2
The "logical path" that I consider to take on this, is first to make the logical assumption that the times T,T' will be both small and approximately equal (since we hit the balls with a baseball bat). And since F>F' the momentum transfer to the balls is FT and F'T'=F'T with FT>F'T, and since balls have equal mass, it follows that V>V'.

Delta2 said:
first to make the logical assumption that the times T,T' will be both small and approximately equal (since we hit the balls with a baseball bat)
I agree that is a logical and a good assumption generally, but unfortunately the problem is that in the end the OP wants to know:
Kamal said:
whether T>T' or vice versa and D>D' or vice versa.
So by making that assumption you are directly assuming part of the desired conclusion. That may not be a problem for the OP, but I think they need to be explicit.

If I were to recommend additional assumptions I would make the assumption that the two balls could be modeled as springs with identical modulus of elasticity and the bat could be modeled as rigid.

I'm not sure exactly what the OP is after. "Hit the ball A with force F" is kind of ambiguous; it is certainly different than "push with force F for T seconds" or "push with force F for D meters."

Hitting with a bat implies an interest in Impulse not Force.

Until this is clarified the discussion has little meaning.

Likes nasu and sophiecentaur
gmax137 said:
Until this is clarified the discussion has little meaning.
Yeah, that is SUCH a problem on this forum. People just pile on even after an OP has been asked to clarify something or explain HIS though processes but has made zero response, as in this case. I've been noticing that more and more lately but it has always been the case at least to some extent.

Likes nasu, sophiecentaur and jbriggs444

1. How does force affect momentum?

Force is directly proportional to the change in momentum of an object. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum will be.

2. Can force change the direction of momentum?

Yes, force can change the direction of an object's momentum. This is known as a change in velocity, which is caused by an unbalanced force acting on the object.

3. What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force and momentum have a direct relationship, meaning that as force increases, so does momentum. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to the change in momentum over time.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the change in momentum caused by force?

The mass of an object is inversely proportional to the change in its momentum caused by force. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the smaller the change in momentum will be for a given force.

5. Can momentum change without the application of force?

No, momentum cannot change without the application of force. In order for an object's momentum to change, there must be an unbalanced force acting on the object. In the absence of force, an object will maintain its current momentum.