How Does Gauss' Law Apply to an Infinite Charged Wall?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 5K views
TSny said:
Yes. Note that the D here corresponds to the field at an arbitrary point where y is greater than 2. Putting it together, what do you find for D (or E) at an arbitrary point outside the wall?
SO we have

E = 2 ρv / ε0

If this is correct then it implies that distance does not matter once outside of the wall. Is this right
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is right. The only thing left is to think about what happens when you go to points with negative values of y. In particular, will Ey be positive or negative?
 
TSny said:
Yes, that is right. The only thing left is to think about what happens when you go to points with negative values of y. In particular, will Ey be positive or negative?
It should be the same magnitude as +y but opposite direction I think
 
Yes. That means Ey is negative for negative y.
 
TSny said:
Yes. That means Ey is negative for negative y.
I can tell that this tried your patience. I want you to know that I am so grateful that you stuck it out with me. I am even more grateful that you did not jst give me the answer. Thank you so much