How does lightning work? (one strike or multiple strikes?)

In summary: A thundercloud does not release all its energy in a single strike. Rather, it releases it in bursts over time.
ARC123
I am mainly asking if it's possible for a thunder cloud to release its sorted energy in burst rather than in one strike. Like if a thundercloud had 1 billion volts would it be possible to great small sparks that allow it to shoot of 5 lighting strikes of different voltages rather than one strike of 1 billion volts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Sometimes when there is sever lightening, you can see multiple strikes released from a thunder cloud consecutively. Is that what you mean? Usually, you will see one large strike with branches. Then secondary strikes that follow the initial bolt of lightning follows shortly. All of this is an attempt to neutralize charge.

Oh, and this is rather thrilling:

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Sometimes when there is sever lightening, you can see multiple strikes released from a thunder cloud consecutively. Is that what you mean? Usually, you will see one large strike with branches. Then secondary strikes that follow the initial bolt of lightning follows shortly. All of this is an attempt to neutralize charge.

Something like that. What I am really asking is say you had a thundercloud. It had 1 billion volts stored in it. Now when it discharges, a single or what you said 2 bolts of lighting. What I want to know is,(with the help of man or just by itself) would it be possible for the thunder cloud to release all of its stored energy in burst of electricity. Sort of like a batter expect it gives off energy in burst of multiple strike.

ARC123 said:
I am mainly asking if it's possible for a thunder cloud to release its sorted energy in burst rather than in one strike. Like if a thundercloud had 1 billion volts would it be possible to great small sparks that allow it to shoot of 5 lighting strikes of different voltages rather than one strike of 1 billion volts.

ARC123 said:
Something like that. What I am really asking is say you had a thundercloud. It had 1 billion volts stored in it. Now when it discharges, a single or what you said 2 bolts of lighting. What I want to know is,(with the help of man or just by itself) would it be possible for the thunder cloud to release all of its stored energy in burst of electricity. Sort of like a batter expect it gives off energy in burst of multiple strike.

hi there
you have a bit of a misunderstanding of voltage. Voltage DOESNT flow in the lightning strike or in any other situation, Current does.
As the voltage( potential difference between the cloud and the ground, or between 2 points in a cloud, build up, an electric field is
generated between say, the cloud and the ground. This electric field needs to build up to a point where it overcomes the air gap resistance
between the cloud and the ground. Once that potential difference is reached, a discharge occurs, and current flows.

There are some finer details of the initiating of the discharge, you can google lightning leaders and streamers

During the discharge, huge amounts of current flows, often 10's of 100's of Amps
Some strikes are primarily a single discharge down the channel path. Others are multiple discharges down the same path.
I have often counted and or videoed up to 7 or 8 pulses down the same path

Once the discharge has occurred, the voltage ( potential difference = electric field again starts to build up and the cycle repeatsDave

What causes lightning?

Lightning is caused by the buildup and discharge of electrical energy in the atmosphere. This typically occurs during thunderstorms, when there is a separation of positive and negative charges within the clouds and between the clouds and the ground.

How does lightning form?

Lightning forms when the separation of electrical charges becomes too great and the air between the charges cannot resist the flow of electricity. This results in a sudden discharge of electricity, which we see as a lightning bolt.

What is the difference between a single strike and multiple strikes of lightning?

A single strike of lightning refers to one discharge of electricity between two points, such as between a cloud and the ground. Multiple strikes occur when there are multiple channels of electricity traveling between the same two points, resulting in several flashes of lightning in quick succession.

What determines the path of lightning?

The path of lightning is determined by the path of least resistance. This means that lightning will follow the most conductive path, which is typically objects that are taller, more pointed, or have a higher concentration of metal.

Is it possible to predict where lightning will strike?

While it is not possible to predict exactly where lightning will strike, meteorologists can use weather patterns and data to estimate the likelihood of lightning strikes in a certain area. However, lightning can be unpredictable and can strike outside of these estimated areas.