How Does Shot Noise in a Photodiode Lead to White Noise Characteristics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of current in a photo diode through electron emissions and the resulting fluctuations, which can be described using Poisson statistics. The formula for the variance of the current in a frequency interval is given, but it is noted that integrating over all possible frequencies results in a divergence. The question also arises about why integrating over the power spectral function gives the total voltage fluctuations, which is explained by the Wiener-Khinchine theorem.
aaaa202
Not really sure where this belongs... But here goes:
If you illuminate a photo diode it generates a current because electrons are being emitted from its cathode. Since each emission is however an independent stochastic process the output current will be subject to fluctuations, which can be described using Poisson statistics.
Now in my book a result is that for the variance of the current in a frequency interval df, is given by:
d(Var(I)) = 2eI*df
, where I is the average current measured over long times.
This formula shows that current fluctuations are true white noise, since they are independent of the frequency. However it also confuses me a bit. To obtain the total fluctuations one will have to integrate over all possible frequencies. Doing so the integral of the above will diverge. What have I misunderstood?

I would also like to understand why in general integrating over the power spectral function gives us the total voltage fluctuations. It follows from the above when the noise is shot noise, but how do you know it to be true in general?

Physics news on Phys.org
Read about Wiener-Khinchine theorem to figure out why integrating the power spectral density results in total fluctuation.

1. What is shot noise in a photo diode?

Shot noise in a photo diode is the random variation in the number of photons that are detected by the diode due to the discrete nature of light. It is caused by the statistical nature of photon emission and detection and is inherent to all photo diodes.

2. How does shot noise affect the performance of a photo diode?

Shot noise can introduce fluctuations in the output signal of a photo diode, making it difficult to accurately measure the incident light. This noise can limit the sensitivity and dynamic range of the diode, especially at low light levels.

3. What factors contribute to shot noise in a photo diode?

The main factors that contribute to shot noise in a photo diode are the number of photons hitting the diode, the diode's quantum efficiency, and the diode's dark current. Higher photon flux, lower quantum efficiency, and higher dark current can all increase shot noise.

4. How can shot noise be reduced in a photo diode?

To reduce shot noise in a photo diode, one can decrease the incident light intensity, increase the diode's quantum efficiency, or reduce the diode's dark current. Additionally, using a larger diode or increasing the integration time can also help reduce shot noise.

5. Is shot noise present in all types of photo diodes?

Yes, shot noise is present in all types of photo diodes, including photodiodes, avalanche photodiodes, and photomultiplier tubes. It is a fundamental noise source that cannot be eliminated completely, but its effects can be minimized through proper design and operation of the diode.