How does the int get from that step to this step?

• Thread starter frasifrasi
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem involves finding the integral of sqrt(x+4)/x dx, which can be simplified by using the substitution u = sqrt{x+4}. This leads to the integral becoming 2 times the integral of (u^2)/(u^2-4) du. By regrouping and adding/subtracting 4 in the numerator, the integral can be further simplified to 2 times the integral of (1+4/(u^2-4)) du.
frasifrasi
Book ex: We were given integral of [tex]\frac{sqrt of x + 4}{x}[/tex]/x dx

with the substitution u = sqrt{x + 4}
--> u^2 = x + 4 and x = u^2 - 4
--> dx = 2u du

and the int becomes 2*int of [tex]\frac{u^2}{u^2 - 4}[/tex]du

But how does it go from that to the next step:

2 int of 1 + [tex]\frac{4}{u^2 - 4}[/tex]du ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You add and subtract 4 to the numerator and regroup.

(u^2+4-4)/(u^2 -4) = (u^2-4)/(u^2-4) + 4/(u^2-4) = 1 + 4/(u^2-4)

i'm really confused as to what your original problem is

[tex]\int\frac{\frac{\sqrt{x+4}}{x}}{x}}dx[/tex]

that?

is the integral of sqrt (x+4)/x dx -- sorry for the confusion... And how can the book not explain something like that?!? If i see james stewart on the street I am going to fling pebles at him man.

i actually like his textbook, what ch./sect. is this?

frasifrasi said:
is the integral of sqrt (x+4)/x dx -- sorry for the confusion... And how can the book not explain something like that?!? If i see james stewart on the street I am going to fling pebles at him man.

:rofl: Pebbles?! I guess that'll learn him.

1. How does the int get from one step to another?

The int, or integer, is a numerical data type that represents whole numbers. In computer programming, the int can be assigned a value and perform mathematical operations. It can also be used in conditional statements to control program flow.

2. What is the process of changing the int from one step to another?

The process of changing the int from one step to another depends on the specific program or code being used. It could involve assigning a new value to the int variable, performing a mathematical operation, or using it in a conditional statement to determine the next step.

3. Do different programming languages have different ways to manipulate the int?

Yes, different programming languages may have different syntax or methods for manipulating the int. However, the basic principles and functionality of the int data type remain the same across languages.

4. Can the int change its value during the program?

Yes, the value of an int can change during a program. This is what makes it a useful data type for performing calculations and controlling program flow. However, the programmer can also specify that the value of the int remains constant throughout the program.

5. Is the int necessary for all programs?

No, the int is not necessary for all programs. Some programs may not require the use of numerical data or calculations. However, the int is a fundamental data type in most programming languages and is commonly used in various applications.