How does the strange and anti-up quark produce a W-boson in K-minus decay?

• I
  • Thread starter Jouleand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decay
In summary, the discussion was about a Feynman diagram for the reaction K- → μ- + (νμ), and it was confirmed that the diagram drawn was correct. The conversation also touched upon the use of LaTeX for symbols and the interaction of W-bosons with quarks in terms of weak eigenstates.
Jouleand
So I am trying to draw Feynman diagrams for the following reaction:

K- → μ- + (νμ) (anti muon neutrino, not very skilled at typing symbols sorry).

And I have the strange quark and the anti-up quark colliding to produce the muon and anti-muon neutrino via a W- boson. I'm not sure if this is right but it seems to be the most logical way to draw the diagram, could someone please verify if I am using the correct feynman diagram and potentially explain how the strange and anti-up quark produce a W-boson?

Attachments

• IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 575
Physics news on Phys.org
@vanhees71: Huh? The diagram is correct.

This forum supports LaTeX, the neutrino can be written as ##\bar \nu_\mu## —> ##\bar \nu_\mu##.

Jouleand said:
could someone please verify if I am using the correct feynman diagram
it's the correct diagram for this case.

Jouleand said:
potentially explain how the strange and anti-up quark produce a W-boson?
This question is vague. In the quark sector, W bosons don't interact with mass eigenstates but with weak eigenstates. One can choose the down type quarks (|q|=1/3) to write them in the weak eigenstates, [itex] d'_i [/itex] (i identifies the generation), which are related to the mass eigenstates [itex]d_i[/itex] with the CKM matrix elements [itex] d'_i = V^{CKM}_{ij} d_j[/itex] . Eg the interaction of W with (u,d') in terms of quark mass eigenstates is [itex]u ( V^{CKM}_{ud} d + V^{CKM}_{us} s + V^{CKM}_{ub} b ) W[/itex] . As a result of this you can have ud,us,ub interactions with W-bosons (of course the CKM matrix is an almost diagonal unitary matrix and so the further away in generations you look, the weaker the couplings get, something you can see as "CKM suppressed").

mfb said:
@vanhees71: Huh? The diagram is correct.

This forum supports LaTeX, the neutrino can be written as ##\bar \nu_\mu## —> ##\bar \nu_\mu##.
Perhaps, I misread the labels on the diagram, but a kaon doesn't consist of an s quark and an anti-neutrino!

I'm quite sure that is a "##\overline u##" at the lower left. The ##\nu## at the lower right is not round at the bottom.

Argh. Yes, then it's of course right. Sorry for the confusion.

1. What is K-minus decay?

K-minus decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a K-minus particle, also known as a kaon, transforms into a pion and an antineutrino. This process is governed by the weak nuclear force and is a fundamental aspect of particle physics.

2. How is K-minus decay detected and measured?

K-minus decay is typically detected by observing the products of the decay, such as the pion and antineutrino. These particles can be detected using specialized detectors, such as a scintillator, and their properties can be measured to determine the characteristics of the decay process.

3. What is the significance of K-minus decay in particle physics?

K-minus decay is an important process to study in particle physics because it provides insight into the properties of the weak nuclear force and the subatomic particles involved. It also plays a role in understanding the behavior of matter and antimatter in the universe.

4. Can K-minus decay be used for practical applications?

While K-minus decay is primarily studied for its scientific value, it does have some practical applications. For example, kaons have been used in medical imaging and in the production of neutrino beams for research purposes.

5. Are there any current advancements or breakthroughs in the study of K-minus decay?

Yes, there have been recent advancements in the study of K-minus decay, particularly in the detection and measurement techniques used. Additionally, ongoing research is focused on further understanding the properties and behavior of kaons and other particles involved in this process.