Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does the Stress Energy tensor relate to Noether's theorem?

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering if the stress-energy tensor arose naturally in special relativity in the same way that plain energy and momentum do via Lagrangians. I understand Noether's theorem for particles, but Wikipedia describes the stress-energy tensor as a Noether current; can anyone explain what this is?
    Unfortunately, I don't know enough about differential forms to follow the standard definition. The other derivations based on dust etc. all seem a little contrived, deriving vanishing divergence almost as an aftherthought. I'm hoping that this line of inquiry will bring me more satisfaction.

Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

atyy

Science Advisor

4. Apr 9, 2010 #3
    That's exactly what I need!
    Thanks again

5. Apr 11, 2010 #4
    Sorry to bother again...I now understand the derivation of the Noether current, but which field do I apply it to if I want the standard stress-energy tensor? Is this where "spacetime as a perfect fluid" comes in to play?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook