How does this hoverboard work?

In summary: So, I would guess that a thin sheet of metal would work, but it would need to be very thin - you wouldn't want to build a whole hoverboard out of it.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/142464853/hendo-hoverboards-worlds-first-real-hoverboard

I see that it says it's based on Lenz's law, which says that the induced currents will generate a field that opposes the change in the field. So, I figure they have some kind of oscillating magnetic field coils on the bottom of the board, which generates an oscillating field which generates eddy currents in the non-ferromagnetic floor, which generates an opposing field that lifts the board.

But, I don't see how the floor's field can always oppose the field from the board. If the board's coils are oscillating, wouldn't the fields attract each other 50% of the time? What's going on here? Is there some kind of trick so the changing field can always have the same sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
The field in the copper floor oscillates along with the current in the board's electromagnets, so they are always in opposition.

Battery capacity? it would need to be pretty large - unless there are a lot of cuts in that movie.

Nice, but surface/floor below the board got to be very conductive

Engine uses electromagnets that produce changing magnetic fields to interact with a conducting surface. Basically when these electromagnets change the magnetic field that produces an electric current in the metallic surface underneath the hoverboard. This electric current then produces its own magnetic field to repel the hoverboard electromagnets.
The Only problem with this hoverboard is that it only hovers over a conducting surface. So it requires the conducting surface.

Would other metals work other than copper (that's a little to price for me) like tin, sheet steel, and or iron?
Also does anyone have a rough guess on how thick the metal would be for it to work?

Would the magnetic fields generate a current in the metal plating on the floor or is there one?

Their website says it requires a non-ferromagnetic metal. I assume the metal surface is completely passive.

From past experience with electromagnetic levitation at school (over 40 years ago), I think it probably requires that the metal is a good conductor both of electricity and heat, as the induced currents will otherwise create hot spots. (We used to fry an egg on a levitated frying pan, both because it was amusing and because it helped to absorb some of the heat; if we left the pan there too long it would start to glow red hot).

1. How does the hoverboard stay afloat?

The hoverboard uses a technology called magnetic levitation to stay afloat. It creates a magnetic field which repels the magnetic field of the ground, allowing it to hover.

2. How does the hoverboard move?

The hoverboard moves by using sensors and a gyroscope to detect the rider's movements and adjust the speed and direction accordingly.

3. How does the hoverboard balance itself?

The hoverboard has a built-in computer system that constantly analyzes data from the sensors and makes adjustments to keep the rider balanced. It also has motors and wheels that help maintain stability.

4. How does the hoverboard charge?

The hoverboard is powered by a rechargeable battery. To charge it, simply plug it into a standard outlet using the provided charger. The battery typically takes 2-3 hours to fully charge.

5. How does the hoverboard handle different terrains?

The hoverboard is designed to handle smooth, flat surfaces such as pavement or hardwood floors. Some models may also be able to handle slight inclines and bumps. It is not recommended to use a hoverboard on rough or uneven terrain.