How Does Torque Affect Gear Movement on a Rack?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a mechanism involving a gear and a motor, and the calculation of the required torque for a specific motion. One equation is used to calculate the torque in the first example, while a different set of equations would be needed for the second example.
risecolt
In this example I've designed a mechanism in which a gear is exposed to a linear and planar motion on a rack, on the top plane in the x and z coordinates. One degree of freedom has been eliminated, disabling it from moving in the y coordinates. Consider that the gears are masless.
This is a harmonic motion in an ideal system where friction is neglected. The gear rotates as the motor pin spins, but the planes of the motor remains constantly parallel to the flat plane of the rack. I need to calculate what the required torque is in order for the motor to conduct this motion.

If I use the equation for angular momentum, I could calculate the torque which is the change of angular momentum; M (torque) = w * I / s = (angular velocity * moment of inertia) / seconds. I wanted to accelerate this mass from an initial velocity of 0 RPM up to 60 RPM in one second. The motor has a mass of 1 kg and the gear has a radius of 25 mm.

Using the equation from the link below I have calculated the following:
(2pi/rad = 60RPM = angular velocity)

I = m/2 * (r^2 + (2l^2) = m/2 * (r^2 + 2*r^2) = m/2 * (3r^2) = 3/2 * m * r^2
M = 2pi * I / s = 0,00589 kgm^2/s^2 = 0,00589 Nm.

http://www.caddisegni.com/upload/calcoli/1-2.jpg

http://cognitivenetwork.yolasite.com/resources/Gear%20and%20Rack.png

Is this correct? Do you have a better solution?

Questions regarding:
http://www.caddisegni.com/upload/calcoli/1-2.jpg

Does this seem correct to you? If this equation can not be used for the example above, can it be used for the example in the link below?

http://cognitivenetwork.yolasite.com/resources/Gear.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, this equation cannot be used for the second example. The equation from the link above is for calculating the torque needed to rotate a mass by a certain angular velocity in a certain amount of time. In the second example, you do not need to calculate the torque as the gear is already rotating and the motion is linear. Instead, you would need to calculate the force required to move the gear along the linear path, using a different set of equations.

Related to How Does Torque Affect Gear Movement on a Rack?

What is torque by gear on a rack?

Torque by gear on a rack is a mechanical system used to convert rotational motion into linear motion. It involves a gear (or multiple gears) attached to a rack, which is a straight, toothed bar. When the gear rotates, it causes the rack to move in a linear direction.

What are the applications of torque by gear on a rack?

Torque by gear on a rack can be used in various applications, such as in car steering systems, industrial machinery, and even in toys and household items. It is commonly used in situations where precise and controlled linear motion is required.

How does torque by gear on a rack work?

The rotational motion of the gear is transferred to the rack through the engagement of the gear teeth with the rack teeth. As the gear rotates, it pushes or pulls the rack, causing it to move in a straight line. The amount of torque applied by the gear determines the speed and force of the linear motion.

What are the advantages of using torque by gear on a rack?

Torque by gear on a rack offers several advantages, such as high efficiency, precise control of linear motion, and the ability to handle heavy loads. It also allows for compact and versatile designs, making it a popular choice in many mechanical systems.

Are there any limitations to using torque by gear on a rack?

One limitation of torque by gear on a rack is that the gear teeth and rack teeth must be well-maintained and properly lubricated for efficient operation. Additionally, the system may produce noise and vibration, which can be reduced through proper design and maintenance.