Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refreshing help needed with calculation of torque of gear wheel

1. Jun 6, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I'm working on calculating a torque value for an engineering project at a new internship I started. Basically there is a spinning gear wheel similar to the picture I posted below (but thicker/cyclindrical), and I need to calculate the force or torque applied on a locking bolt that will suddenly engage at about 1/2*r of the gear bringing it to a complete stop.

http://thehobbyshop.co.za/images/LOWER_GEAR_WHEEL.jpg [Broken]

The radius of the wheel (which is cylindrical in shape) is approximately 1.5cm with a length of about 2.5cm. I'm given the RPM which is a constant speed, so from that I can calculate the angular velocity. After the bolt engages, the velocity will change to zero creating a deceleration that I can plug into the torque formula T= I*a.

Would I have to then calculate the moment of intertia in order to solve the equation, and if so, how would I approach this? I've only solved inertia problems with ideal shapes.. not oddly shaped gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance..

-Ryan

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2012 #2
    So basically I just need to calculate the torque of a spinning gear wheel. Any ideas from anyone?

4. Jun 6, 2012 #3
    To calculate moment of inertia, can you not see the gear wheel as a sum of ideal shapes? You could disregard the teeth and see the outer rim as a ring, the inner part as a disc, and the connections between them as rods or planes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook