How does weight add up to press on things?

In summary, pressure is the result of more molecules bouncing around and creating random impacts, leading to a stronger force. This also applies to solid objects, where atoms at the boundary repel each other. When two blocks press on each other, the force is transmitted through the lower block and can cause the blocks to tear through thin paper. This force is dependent on the weight of the upper block, and not on its material. This is because pressure is defined as force per area, and the force here is influenced by weight. This force is transmitted through the lower block through electromagnetic forces, as atoms in all states of matter have electrons on the outside that repel like charges.
avorobey
I think I understand how pressure works with gases. More molecules bouncing around -> more random impacts -> stronger force.

But I realized to my embarrassment that I don't understand how solid things press on each other, microscopically. Say I put a block of iron on my head. If I put another one on top of it, I feel twice the weight. The two blocks together can tear through thin paper where one block can't. But the contact between my head (or paper) and the blocks is just a very thin layer of atoms of the lower block's structure. If the lower block doesn't move when I put the upper one on it, what causes this thin layer to "press" on my head (or paper) more? When the two blocks together tear through thin paper, where does the force come from that acts on the paper molecules - it can't be gravity from the upper block, right? And how come that whatever this source of pressure is only depends on the weight of the upper block, and not on what it's made out of, iron or wood?

Physics news on Phys.org
avorobey said:
I think I understand how pressure works with gases. More molecules bouncing around -> more random impacts -> stronger force.
To bounce they need some kind of repulsion, right?

avorobey said:
But I realized to my embarrassment that I don't understand how solid things press on each other, microscopically.
The atoms at the boundary also repel each-other.

avorobey said:
When the two blocks together tear through thin paper, where does the force come from that acts on the paper molecules - it can't be gravity from the upper block, right?
Not directly, but transmitted through the lower block

avorobey said:
And how come that whatever this source of pressure is only depends on the weight of the upper block, and not on what it's made out of, iron or wood?
Because that's how pressure is defined: force per area. And the force here depends on weight.

>Not directly, but transmitted through the lower block

What exactly does this mean, "transmitted"? Microscopically?

avorobey said:
>Not directly, but transmitted through the lower block

What exactly does this mean, "transmitted"? Microscopically?

Electromagnetic forces.

Atoms in a solid (or gas or liquid) have electrons on the outside. Like charges repel. Not really any difference between a solid, liquid or gas in that respect. It's why gas molecules bounce off the walls of a vessel rather than disappear into them.

1. How does an object's weight affect the amount of pressure it applies?

The weight of an object is directly proportional to the amount of pressure it applies. This means that the heavier the object, the more pressure it will exert on the surface it is resting on.

2. Does the surface area of an object affect the pressure it applies?

Yes, the surface area of an object also plays a role in the amount of pressure it applies. The larger the surface area, the more spread out the weight of the object is, resulting in less pressure being applied.

3. How does gravity factor into the pressure of an object?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. The strength of gravity on an object determines its weight, which in turn affects the amount of pressure it applies.

4. Can the shape of an object affect the pressure it applies?

Yes, the shape of an object can impact the pressure it applies. For example, a sharp object will exert more pressure than a blunt object with the same weight, as the weight is concentrated on a smaller surface area.

5. Is pressure always the same as weight?

No, pressure and weight are two different concepts. Pressure is the force applied per unit area, while weight is the measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. However, weight can indirectly affect the pressure an object applies.