How does winding a metal wire into a coil create magnetic flux?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
Mr_Bojingles
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
I was reading there that if you wind a piece of metal wire into a coil it creates a magnetic field. Does this wire have to have current running through it? I know that a changing electric current creates a magnetic field but how does winding a piece of metal wire into a coil create magnetic flux?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Mr_Bojingles said:
I was reading there that if you wind a piece of metal wire into a coil it creates a magnetic field. Does this wire have to have current running through it? I know that a changing electric current creates a magnetic field but how does winding a piece of metal wire into a coil create magnetic flux?

it doesn't create flux perse. if you have a closed loop of wire you have a surface through which the Earth's magnetic field creates a flux. flux is the penetration of a field through a closed surface so maybe that's what the book means.

and it's not a changing electric current that creates a magnetic field, just a regular current creates a magnetic field. a changing magnetic field creates a current.