Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How efficiently do we digest our food compared to machines?

1. Aug 19, 2008 #1
    How much energy is wasted as we digest and convert our food into energy?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2008 #2
    Sorry, I realized how stupid my question was, and tried to quickly change it before anyone read it. Obviously we are simply harvesting stored energy.

4. Aug 19, 2008 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You normally take 85% as the efficency of digestion.
    That is you get 85% of the energy compared to simply burning the food in a calorimeter.

5. Aug 20, 2008 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I agree with mgb_phys: my understanding is that our bodies extract out around 80% of the usable calories in food.

6. Aug 20, 2008 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

It might also depends of your age.

7. Aug 20, 2008 #6
    Must... Resist... Fart... Jokes!

:-)

8. Aug 20, 2008 #7

Dale

Staff: Mentor

To put that 80%-85% efficiency in perspective a typical gasoline engine is in the range of 25%-30% efficiency, diesel engines are around 40%, and even fuel cells only reach about 50% efficiency. Not only is biological metabolism much more efficient, but the thing that always amazes me is what a wide variety of fuels we can take compared to an engine where even very small differences in the chemical compositon or purity can dramatically degrade performance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?