How exactly do generators work (Please explain the Faraday's law)

1. Hi, everybody!

I have done tons of research through the Internet, but still can't understand the Faraday's law and how a generator works.

I understand, that inside coils, placed into a rotating magnet, current is generated. But why? What exactly happens to electrons, so they form current? As I read, a static magnetic field influences on electrons only in such way that it changes their direction, but it isn't enough to make current. Why that is a rotating magnetic field, that creates current? How it impacts electrons in comparison to a constant magnetic field?

Will it be right, if I say, that in a rotating magnetic field electrons change their directions asymmetrically - so some electrons approach to other and repel them, thus accelerating their flow?

2. jcsd
  3. russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

It really is no more complicated than that because the electrons are charged, moving a magnet past them in a wire pushes them through the wire.

4. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted