Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How exactly do generators work (Please explain the Faraday's law)

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Hi, everybody!

I have done tons of research through the Internet, but still can't understand the Faraday's law and how a generator works.

I understand, that inside coils, placed into a rotating magnet, current is generated. But why? What exactly happens to electrons, so they form current? As I read, a static magnetic field influences on electrons only in such way that it changes their direction, but it isn't enough to make current. Why that is a rotating magnetic field, that creates current? How it impacts electrons in comparison to a constant magnetic field?

Will it be right, if I say, that in a rotating magnetic field electrons change their directions asymmetrically - so some electrons approach to other and repel them, thus accelerating their flow?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

It really is no more complicated than that because the electrons are charged, moving a magnet past them in a wire pushes them through the wire.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted