Falling rod, finding velocity of CM

In summary, Pranav-Arora found that the rod will speed up as it falls, and that the speed is given by: ml/6 sin θ + dθ/dt.
Saitama

Homework Statement

A rod of mass m and length l is held vertically on a smooth horizontal floor. If the rod begins to fall from this position, find the speed of its CM when it makes an angle ##\theta## with vertical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a solved problem in my book and it is solved using the energy method. I was wondering if this can be solved through Newton's laws.

The forces acting on the rod are its own weight and normal reaction from the floor.
From Newton second law:
$$mg-N=ma \,\,\,\, (*)$$

Taking torque about the CM:
$$N\frac{l}{2}\sin\theta=\frac{ml^2}{12}\alpha \,\,\,\, (**)$$
where ##\alpha## is the angular acceleration about CM. Since ##\alpha=a/(l/2)##, I substitute this in (**) and solve for N. From here I get a relation between N and a. Substituting this relation in (*), I get:
$$a=\frac{3g\sin\theta}{1+3\sin\theta}$$
Since, ##a=v(dv/dy)## and ##y=l/2(1-\cos\theta)##,
$$a=2v\frac{dv}{l\sin\theta d\theta}$$

Therefore,
$$2vdv=\frac{3gl\sin^2\theta}{1+3\sin\theta}d\theta$$
The next step is to integrate both the sides. I could not integrate the right hand side so I used Wolfram Alpha.
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?t=crmtb01&f=ob&i=integrate sin^2(x)/(1+3sin(x)) dx

Wolfram Alpha gives a very strange answer and it does not match with the book's final answer.

Are my equations wrong? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• stick.png
    stick.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
Pranav-Arora said:
Since ##\alpha=a/(l/2)## …

nooo :redface:

(btw, your use of τ = Iα is valid, since this is a 1D case, and d/dt rc.o.m x vc.o.m = 0)

Hi tiny-tim! :)

tiny-tim said:
nooo :redface:

Why? I don't see any error there. :confused:

a is the (vertical) acceleration of the centre of mass

a = rα is correct when the point at distance r (in this case, the end of the rod) is fixed (and then the centre of mass is moving in a circle)

here, the end of the rod is moving, the centre of mass is not moving in a circle, y = l/2 cosθ, and a = y'' :smile:

tiny-tim said:
a is the (vertical) acceleration of the centre of mass

a = rα is correct when the point at distance r (in this case, the end of the rod) is fixed (and then the centre of mass is moving in a circle)

here, the end of the rod is moving, the centre of mass is not moving in a circle, y = l/2 cosθ, and a = y'' :smile:

I am not sure if I get it. How do I find N then? Since ##\alpha=a/(l/2)## is invalid, do I have to substitute ##\alpha=d^2\theta/dt^2##?

yes :smile:

tiny-tim said:
yes :smile:

Solving for N, I get:
$$N=\frac{ml}{6\sin\theta}\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}$$
Substituting in (*)
$$mg-\frac{ml}{6\sin\theta}\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=m\frac{d^2y}{dt^2} \,\,\,\, (***)$$

Since ##y=(l/2)(1-\cos\theta)##, ##dy/dt=(l/2)\sin\theta d\theta/dt##, therefore,
$$\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\frac{l}{2}\sin\theta \frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}+\frac{l}{2}\cos\theta\frac{d\theta}{dt}$$
Substituting the above in (***) gives a second order differential equation but solving this gives ##\theta## as a function of time and I need the velocity as a function of ##\theta##. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Substituting the above in (***) gives a second order differential equation but solving this gives ##\theta## as a function of time and I need the velocity as a function of ##\theta##. :confused:

(your dθ/dt should be squared)

you can eliminate t by putting ω = dθ/dt,

and d2θ/dt2 = dω/dt = dω/dθ dθ/dt = ω dω/dθ :smile:

tiny-tim said:
(your dθ/dt should be squared)

you can eliminate t by putting ω = dθ/dt,

and d2θ/dt2 = dω/dt = dω/dθ dθ/dt = ω dω/dθ :smile:

But I need velocity as a function of angle, not the angular velocity. :confused:

i didn't say it was easy! :smile:

this is why it's so much easier to use energy :wink:

tiny-tim said:
i didn't say it was easy! :smile:

this is why it's so much easier to use energy :wink:

Yes, you are right. I recognised the complexity when it lead me to a second order differential equation.

But still, is there no way to find velocity from angular velocity?

you can solve that differential equation for ω as a function of θ,

and then use v = l/2 ω sinθ :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
you can solve that differential equation for ω as a function of θ,

and then use v = l/2 ω sinθ :wink:

Thanks a lot tiny-tim! :smile:

1. How can the velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod be determined?

The velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod can be determined using the formula v = sqrt(2gh), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and h is the height from which the rod is dropped.

2. Is it necessary to know the mass and dimensions of the rod to calculate the velocity of its center of mass?

Yes, it is necessary to know the mass and dimensions of the rod in order to calculate the velocity of its center of mass. This information is required in the formula v = sqrt(2gh), as the mass and dimensions play a crucial role in determining the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod?

The velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod is affected by the acceleration due to gravity, the mass and dimensions of the rod, and the height from which it is dropped. Other factors that may influence the velocity include air resistance and the shape of the rod.

4. Can the velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod change during its descent?

Yes, the velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod can change during its descent. This change may occur due to external forces acting on the rod, such as air resistance, or if the rod undergoes a change in shape or mass during its descent.

5. How is the velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod related to its kinetic energy?

The velocity of the center of mass of a falling rod is directly related to its kinetic energy. As the velocity increases, so does the kinetic energy, and vice versa. This relationship can be expressed through the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the rod and v is the velocity of its center of mass.