How does friction work on a smooth slope with rough contacts?

• Thread starter shalikadm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of friction and acceleration in two different situations. In the first situation, there is a force applied on block B, causing it to move with a regular velocity, while block A experiences friction from both the ground and block B. In the second situation, the blocks are on a smooth slope and are experiencing the same acceleration due to gravity, resulting in no friction between them. The conversation also touches on the concept of vector addition and how it applies to the acceleration of objects in a system.
shalikadm
I am trying to figure out what happens here...and now I've stuck on this...
Here it goes...,

situation 1
Untitled.png

Both contact A with B and A with ground are rough
We increase the force P applied here from zero.When there's sufficiently big μs between A and B than that of A and ground,there's an ability there to move both A and B together at the same speed.What I see here is that there's a friction there even they are moved by the force at a regular velocity.When A travels at a regular speed there must be a force applied on this to cancel out the friction on A by the ground.Actually its the friction applied by B on A that cancels out the friction by ground on A.So there must be a friction between A and B when even traveling at a regular velocity.Am I correct ?

situation 2
Untitledwerwer.png

Contact of A with B are rough.BUT A with ground is smooth.
A and B is put in a smooth slope as shown in the image.When we take both A and B together as a one system,there's no friction (friction s between A and B cancels when taken together as one system). So the only force is the resolution of weight parallel to the slope.So the acceleration on this system is gsinθ..Here's where I can't proceed on.We have told that there isn't a friction between A and B when they are going down the slope.The reason that was told for this is that the resolution of weight of B parallel to the slope is used for to keep the gsinθ acceleration parallel to the slope.So there's no any effort of B to slide on A-so there's no friction between them.But to explain this to my self I want to know that B 's acceleration is gsinθ.Is there someone who can explain me how B get an acceleration of gsinθ.I'm afraid to think that the acceleration of B is same as the whole system..I see acceleration is a vector...so aA+aB=asystem like thing is haunting my mind...We see such things in vectors like momentum...momentums of objects of a system is added to the momentum of system (algebraically as a vector)..So in bomb explosion the momentum of the system is zero...like that thing...please explain this to me...

Please try to give me a short and clear explanation(a best one)..
I'm in a hurry
Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
When A travels at a regular speed there must be a force applied on this to cancel out the friction on A by the ground.Actually its the friction applied by B on A that cancels out the friction by ground on A.So there must be a friction between A and B when even traveling at a regular velocity.Am I correct ?

Yes. It's the static friction between B and A. They aren't moving with respect to each other.

Situation 2 is different to situation 1. In situation 1 the force P is only acting on block B. In situation 2 the "force" (acceleration) of gravity is acting equally on both blocks. Their acceleration and velocity is the same. There is no force causing one block to move (or try to move) relative to the other. So no frictional forces between them.

The acceleration is the same for A and B for the same reason as this..

If you tied the feather to the hammer they would still fall at the same rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot Cwatters !

1. How does friction work?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It occurs due to the microscopic irregularities present on the surfaces, which create interlocking points that resist sliding against each other.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness or smoothness of the surfaces. Other factors include the temperature, the presence of lubricants, and the speed of movement.

3. How does friction affect motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing it down and eventually stopping it. It also converts some of the kinetic energy of the moving object into heat energy, which is dissipated into the surroundings.

4. Can friction be both helpful and harmful?

Yes, friction can be helpful in some situations, such as when it allows us to grip objects, walk or drive without slipping, or when it creates enough friction for brakes to work effectively. However, it can also be harmful, causing wear and tear on surfaces and reducing the efficiency of machines.

5. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between surfaces to create a thin layer that reduces the contact between them. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction, as well as using wheels or rollers to roll instead of sliding.