Questioning Honesty: What To Do When Both Sides are Right

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not going there.In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of being honest in a situation where either speaking up or staying silent can lead to being in the wrong with one party or the other. The solution given is to assure the parties involved that disagreements are normal and to express one's own opinion. However, there is also a suggestion to assess the situation and choose the action that will result in the least harm. There is also a debate on the importance of absolute honesty and the potential consequences of being brutally honest.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
How honest can you be, i found myself in a situation where if i said anything i would be in the wrong withe one party or the other, yet if i said nothing i would still be in the wrong.
If each party was equally right in their point of view what should one do?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Either run like hell or just express your own opinion. If one or both of them are going to get pissed off at you, that's their problem rather than yours.

wolram said:
How honest can you be, i found myself in a situation where if i said anything i would be in the wrong withe one party or the other, yet if i said nothing i would still be in the wrong.

You could start by assuring them that it's expected that reasonable people will disagree with each other from time to time. And if friendships were ended based on those occasional disagreements, it would eventually end all friendships. You might add something like, I hope none of us are so short-sighted we would behave that way.

Then state your case.

I tend to side with always telling the truth. Brutally so, even in relationships. In the end, I figure if I respect them, that's the least I should do.

Thus, I'd come clean to both of them. Preferably in the same room, unless there was some act of passion involved (affair etc). You can't do anything but present the facts, and ask for their thoughts. There's a chance it'll become heated, if so, don't chase either of them. Just let them sort out their feelings in peace, and re-approach at a later date.

Chances are, if the truth blind-sides them, they're going to feel a bit uncomfortable.

Cheers

wolram said:

Let me guess. Your wife just bought a new dress, put it on to model for you and asked the loaded question " Does this dress make my butt look fat?", while at the same time in the room is her mother, your mother-in-law, who by chance just hours before in the kitchen with you stated that she it is imperative that she have your support in getting her daughter to loose some weight for health reasons, whether or not true, and you agree in a halfheartedly fashion which your mother-in-law will condider binding.
You seem to be in a pickle sir!

HayleySarg said:
Thus, I'd come clean to both of them. Preferably in the same room, unless there was some act of passion involved (affair etc).

Hmm, that could be interesting :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuFScoO4tb0

Likes 1 person
256bits said:
Let me guess. Your wife just bought a new dress, put it on to model for you and asked the loaded question " Does this dress make my butt look fat?", while at the same time in the room is her mother, your mother-in-law, who by chance just hours before in the kitchen with you stated that she it is imperative that she have your support in getting her daughter to loose some weight for health reasons, whether or not true, and you agree in a halfheartedly fashion which your mother-in-law will condider binding.

Psssh! That's easy!

"Not nearly as fat as when you're naked!"

I'm single, by the way.

But I was married at one time, so I have experience in these things.

wolram said:
You've almost certainly misunderstood/characterized the situation: there is almost always a right and wrong answer for you, even if either answer will anger one party or the other.

wolram said:

You say that based on your answer, you will "be in the wrong with" one or the other party in the dispute. This sounds more like a social dilemma than a moral one. As such, it's hard to give a useful solution without more information.

I do whatever that is most likely to let me walk out in one piece

wolram said:

Good to always be honest; building a web of lies leads to no good.

Synaptic said:
Good to always be honest; building a web of lies leads to no good.

I don't necessarily agree. Absolute honesty can be painful to the recipient, not to mention the truth teller. Your wife's butt NEVER looks fat, no matter the outfit.

Traz 0 said:
I don't necessarily agree. Absolute honesty can be painful to the recipient, not to mention the truth teller. Your wife's butt NEVER looks fat, no matter the outfit.

Tell that to Abe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPX2cQP8uoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vI3n6A4jUg

Traz 0 said:

Something scares me about being in a room of people where everything they say is a cover, or is planned/rehearsed. The faces are complete fabrications, a disguise concealing the horrors that truly lies beneath it, horrors that if not uncovered and extinguished, can lead to unimaginable pain, persecution, and depravity.

Traz 0 said:

Depends on the wife I'd imagine. Some of us are capable of rational thought ;)

I'm in the camp of "always tell the whole truth" but with tact. Yes, honey, you're getting a bit fat. Well, a lot fat. Let's make a plan to eat better and walk in the mornings, it'll be better for both of us.

HayleySarg said:

I'm in the camp of "always tell the whole truth" but with tact. Yes, honey, you're getting a bit fat. Well, a lot fat. Let's make a plan to eat better and walk in the mornings, it'll be better for both of us.

That's easy to say if you're not fat, and you don't look fat :redface:

Edit: Aren't I a charmer :tongue:

Bahaha. I'm a bit fat, but not bad. I'd like to call it well fed >=) And by well fed, I mean, I eat a lot of ramen and eggs and pizza. Heh.

The way I see it, people will find any reason to be offended. Why not give 'em a reason.

Synaptic said:
Something scares me about being in a room of people where everything they say is a cover, or is planned/rehearsed. The faces are complete fabrications, a disguise concealing the horrors that truly lies beneath it, horrors that if not uncovered and extinguished, can lead to unimaginable pain, persecution, and depravity.

LoL! The horror, the HORROR!, of using tact with a loved one!

HayleySarg said:

And, "Is it OK if we ever have sex again? Doggie-style? Where I'm looking at your fat ***?"

Likes 1 person
When either party is equally correct, one should help bridge the differences between them.

256bits said:

Lol, it would be true were i married.

What is "Questioning Honesty: What To Do When Both Sides are Right" about?

"Questioning Honesty: What To Do When Both Sides are Right" is a book that explores the concept of honesty and how to handle situations where both parties believe they are telling the truth. It delves into the psychology of honesty and provides strategies for navigating conflicts where both sides have valid perspectives.

Why is it important to consider both sides in conflicts?

Considering both sides in conflicts is important because it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the situation. Each side may have different perspectives and experiences that contribute to their version of the truth. By acknowledging both sides, it can help to find a resolution that takes into account all perspectives.

What are some strategies for handling conflicts where both sides believe they are right?

Some strategies for handling conflicts where both sides believe they are right include active listening, reframing the situation, and finding common ground. It is also important to approach the situation with empathy and understanding, and to be open to compromise.

Can honesty be subjective?

Yes, honesty can be subjective because it is influenced by individual experiences, beliefs, and perceptions. What one person may consider to be honest may differ from another person's perspective. It is important to recognize and respect these differences when navigating conflicts.

How can this book help individuals in their personal and professional relationships?

This book can help individuals in their personal and professional relationships by providing insights and strategies for handling conflicts and communication in a more effective and honest manner. It can also help individuals to better understand and empathize with others, leading to stronger and more fulfilling relationships.