How I,V,R, and P relate and how Transformers Work?

In summary, the relationship between current and voltage is directly proportional, meaning that increasing voltage will also increase current as long as resistance remains constant. The power used for a given length of time will quadruple if the voltage is doubled. In terms of electrical power, current is the flow of electrons while voltage is the storage of energy. However, the amount of current that can be drawn depends on the source, and there is no specific limit to the number of amps per volt. Step up transformers can increase voltage while decreasing current, but the overall power remains the same. The amount of current a battery can deliver depends on its internal resistance.
trueacoustics
My first question is with the relationship between current and voltage. I understand how they are related mathematically but not conceptually. Why would increasing voltage decrease current if the resistance stays the same? Why couldn't the current increase if there is more "push."

This leads to my next question. Who is the real "hero" for electrical power? Current is the flow of electrons, and voltage is the storage. However, you can generate the same power with different values. Is there a limit to how many amps you can have per volt or vise versa?

My last question is with step up transformers. How can more voltage be created when the source is permanent? Seems counter intuitive to the conservation of energy... Does the secondary coil act as a capacitor and simple store more energy?

I have read my text thoroughly and have searched online for these answers and cannot find them. It is not that I have not thought this through.

Thanks for your time

Physics news on Phys.org
trueacoustics said:
My first question is with the relationship between current and voltage. I understand how they are related mathematically but not conceptually. Why would increasing voltage decrease current if the resistance stays the same? Why couldn't the current increase if there is more "push."
Current is directly proportional to voltage. If you double the voltage, the current will double. Power will quadruple so the energy used for a given length of time will quadruple.

[itex]E=IR[/itex] and [itex]I=\frac{E}{R}[/itex]
[tex]P=EI=I^2R[/tex]

This leads to my next question. Who is the real "hero" for electrical power? Current is the flow of electrons, and voltage is the storage. However, you can generate the same power with different values. Is there a limit to how many amps you can have per volt or vise versa?

Voltage isn't really the 'storage'. Energy would be a more reasonable quantity for storage. As far as a limit on the amount of current that can be drawn, it depends on the source. A small dry cell will not be able to deliver much in the way of current in contrast to say a car battery which can deliver much more. I don't know off hand how to quantify this, however.

My last question is with step up transformers. How can more voltage be created when the source is permanent? Seems counter intuitive to the conservation of energy... Does the secondary coil act as a capacitor and simple store more energy?

In an ideal transformer, the power ratio between the primary and secondary coils is 1:1. If the voltage on the secondary is double the primary voltage, the current will be one-half, the power (energy/second) will be the same.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/transf.html#c1

Last edited:
trueacoustics said:

What are you talking about? In what situation would this happen?
Increasing the voltage across an element of constant resistance will increase the current through the element.

Ok thanks this is really helping.

So according to your derivation of P, I is the defining source of electrical power? I hope so because this makes sense.

And great there is a trade of with a step up transformer.

Now I am just curious as to how many amps can be created per volt. It seems evident that although amps are the source of power, it is of larger concern getting the amps to reach a location then having a significant amount of current.

As a side note, I had a 150A fuse wired in series between my car battery and amplifier. I accidentally touched the positive and negative terminals when wiring. The fuse blew. This leads me to believe that a significant amount of current can be created with relatively low voltage (12V blew a 150A fuse).

I was talking about in a transformer. Seeing the additional equations helped me to understand the trade off for a step up.

In your original post, I assumed your transformer question was separate. The formula for power I gave is for DC circuits. Power in AC circuits is a bit more complex but the relationships between voltage, current, and power is the same.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

So according to your derivation of P, I is the defining source of electrical power? I hope so because this makes sense.

Generally, current- and power- depend on the source voltage and the load resistance.

As a side note, I had a 150A fuse wired in series between my car battery and amplifier. I accidentally touched the positive and negative terminals when wiring. The fuse blew. This leads me to believe that a significant amount of current can be created with relatively low voltage (12V blew a 150A fuse).
A typical car battery can deliver that much current. A quick Google search revealed one able to deliver 200A.

The amount of current a battery can deliver depends on the internal resistance of the battery and that depends on the type of battery. See this for more info:

http://www.furryelephant.com/content/electricity/resistance-ohms-law/internal-resistance/

Last edited:
trueacoustics said:
Now I am just curious as to how many amps can be created per volt. It seems evident that although amps are the source of power, it is of larger concern getting the amps to reach a location then having a significant amount of current.

I think you should read this first to get a basic understanding of electricity, voltage, current and electrical energy/power. http://amasci.com/miscon/energ1.html

You can't say I or V is the thing that dictates power.

In fact you could also say that it's the the load that determines the power. For example the power station does not determine how much power you use. That's down to how many devices you connect. This idea that a load determines the power is handy when it comes to understand some types of motor but that's for another day.

However in any circuit some elements are constant and some are variable. So consider a 9V battery. The voltage is fixed at 9V and it just sits there doing nothing until you connect a load. So in that circuit it might be appropriate to consider that it's the load that determines the power.

Consider the output of a HiFi. The load (the loudspeakers) typically have a fixed resistance, let's call it 8 Ohms. In this case it;s the output voltage that varies and controls the power.

So although some feature of the circuit might suggest one (I,V or R) controls the power it's not really like that.

You can write the equations for power several ways, for example..

P=IV

but since V=IR..

P=V2/R
and
P=I2R

are equally valid.

trueacoustics said:

What does it tell you about the resistance of the circuit you created on accident?

1. How do voltage (V) and current (I) relate in a transformer?

In a transformer, the voltage and current are inversely proportional. This means that as the voltage increases, the current decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as Ohm's law and is represented by the equation V=IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance.

2. What is the purpose of a transformer in a circuit?

The main purpose of a transformer is to change the voltage level of an alternating current (AC) electricity. It does this by using electromagnetic induction to transfer energy from one circuit to another without any physical connection between the two circuits. This allows for efficient transmission of electricity over long distances.

3. How does a transformer work?

A transformer consists of two coils of wire, known as the primary and secondary coils, that are wrapped around a metal core. When an alternating current flows through the primary coil, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the secondary coil, causing current to flow through it. The ratio of the number of turns in the primary and secondary coils determines the voltage and current output of the transformer.

4. What is the role of resistance (R) in a transformer?

The resistance in a transformer is important because it limits the flow of current in the circuit. This helps to prevent the transformer from overheating and ensures that the output voltage is stable. The resistance can be adjusted by changing the size and material of the wire used in the transformer's coils.

5. How do transformers improve the efficiency of power transmission?

Transformers play a crucial role in the transmission of electricity from power plants to homes and businesses. By stepping up the voltage at the power plant, the current can be reduced, which minimizes energy loss during transmission. Then, at the destination, the voltage is stepped down again for safe use in homes and businesses. This process of voltage transformation is much more efficient than trying to transmit electricity at high currents, which would result in significant energy loss.