How important is quantum theory to cosmology/astrophysics?

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on which classes to take in order to gain an overall understanding of the origin and structure of the universe. They are specifically interested in the role of quantum mechanics and quantum field theory in this understanding, but do not intend to work in cosmology or astrophysics. It is suggested to start with beginner-level resources such as Weinberg's book _The First Three Minutes_, and to consider more advanced topics such as nuclear synthesis, statistical thermodynamics, and general relativity in order to gain a deeper understanding. It is also recommended to consult with an advisor for specific guidance related to their field.
BHL 20
I'm asking this to help with making subject choices. One thing I'd like carry away from this degree is an overall understanding of the origin and structure of the universe. I'm wondering how much quantum mechanics and quantum field theory should I take to gain this understanding. I have heard of quantum cosmology but I've no idea how influential/essential it is to the big picture and the level of QM it involves. There's only so much classes I can take so I want to know what's crucial and what's not. BTW, I don't intend work in cosmology or astrophysics, I just want to know it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what level of understanding you want, and how advanced you want to get.

At a "beginner" level, you don't need a lot. Get Weinberg's book _The First Three Minutes_ for example. It's an excellent intro, and as accessible as the subject can be made. After you read that book, ask yourself how much more you need.

To go beyond that you need to start thinking about things like nuclear synthesis and branching ratios and cross sections. And then some stat mech, and statistical thermodynamics. And probably some general relativity for good measure.

When you read Weinberg's book _Gravitation and Cosmology_ you may find it tough sledding because he pulls in so many widely spaced topics. You will be reading along about gravity, and suddenly he is bringing in the equation of state of plasma. And so on. Once I attended a conference at which he spoke. And he could do this stuff "on his feet." So if you want to be brilliant, you need to pack as much of this stuff into your head as you can.

Likes TomServo and Greg Bernhardt
Ask your advisor. It may be that QFT is useful to your field.

1. How does quantum theory impact our understanding of the universe?

Quantum theory is crucial to our understanding of the universe as it helps us explain phenomena that cannot be explained by classical laws of physics. It provides a framework for understanding the behavior of particles at a subatomic level, which is essential for understanding the fundamental workings of the universe.

2. How does quantum theory relate to cosmology?

Quantum theory plays a significant role in cosmology by providing a way to explain the behavior of matter and energy in the early universe. It helps us understand the origin of the universe and the formation of structures such as galaxies and stars.

3. Can quantum theory and general relativity be reconciled?

One of the biggest challenges in modern physics is reconciling quantum theory with general relativity, which describes the behavior of large-scale objects. Many scientists believe that a unified theory, such as string theory, may be the key to reconciling these two theories. However, this remains an area of active research and debate.

4. How does quantum theory impact our understanding of black holes?

Quantum theory is crucial to our understanding of black holes, as it helps us explain how they emit radiation and eventually evaporate. This phenomenon, known as Hawking radiation, is a result of the interaction between quantum particles and the intense gravitational pull of black holes.

5. How important is quantum theory in predicting the future of the universe?

Quantum theory is essential in predicting the future of the universe, as it allows us to understand the behavior of matter and energy at a fundamental level. This understanding is crucial in making predictions about the evolution of the universe and the fate of the universe in the long term.