How Is Average Energy Calculated in the Microcanonical Ensemble?

• Thread starter romeo31415
  • Start date
  • Tags
    State
In summary, the average energy in the microcanonical ensemble can be calculated by taking the sum of the non-interacting energy and the interaction energy for each state, and then dividing by the total number of states. This is due to the decoupling of the non-interacting part from the interactions.
romeo31415

Homework Statement

Given an hamiltonian
upload_2015-1-17_15-15-6.png
with
upload_2015-1-17_15-15-32.png
, find the average energy
upload_2015-1-17_15-16-55.png
in the microcanonical ensemble.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Can you please tell me whether the following developpement is correct or not?

Thank you.
upload_2015-1-17_15-17-25.png

Physics news on Phys.org
The average energy in the microcanonical ensemble is given by the expression:E_avg = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N E_i where N is the number of states and E_i is the energy of the i-th state. In our case, the Hamiltonian is H = H_0 + V, where H_0 is the non-interacting part and V is the interaction term. Therefore, the energy of each state is given by E_i = E_0(i) + V(i), where E_0(i) is the energy of the i-th state of the non-interacting part and V(i) is the energy of the i-th state due to interactions.Therefore, we can rewrite the average energy as:E_avg = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N [E_0(i) + V(i)] which can be further simplified to:E_avg = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N E_0(i) + \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N V(i) Since the non-interacting part is decoupled from the interactions, the two sums can be computed separately and we obtain:E_avg = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N E_0(i) + \frac{1}{N}\sum_{i=1}^N V(i) which is the average energy in the microcanonical ensemble.

Related to How Is Average Energy Calculated in the Microcanonical Ensemble?

1. What is a microcanonical state?

A microcanonical state is a thermodynamic equilibrium state in which the system is isolated and has a fixed energy, volume, and number of particles. This means that the system has a constant energy and does not exchange any matter or energy with its surroundings.

2. How is a microcanonical state different from other thermodynamic states?

A microcanonical state differs from other thermodynamic states in that it is isolated and has a fixed energy, volume, and number of particles. In contrast, other states such as the canonical state allow for energy exchange with a heat reservoir, and the grand canonical state allows for both energy and matter exchange with a reservoir.

3. How do you find the microcanonical state of a system?

To find the microcanonical state of a system, you must first determine the energy, volume, and number of particles of the system. Then, using this information, you can use statistical mechanics to calculate the probability of each microstate (a specific arrangement of the system's particles) and determine which microstate is most likely to occur.

4. What is the significance of the microcanonical state?

The microcanonical state is significant because it allows us to study isolated systems and understand how they behave according to the laws of thermodynamics. It also serves as a starting point for understanding other thermodynamic states and their relationship to each other.

5. Can a system be in a microcanonical state indefinitely?

No, a system cannot be in a microcanonical state indefinitely. Eventually, the system will reach thermal equilibrium with its surroundings and will no longer have a fixed energy, volume, and number of particles. At this point, the system will enter a different thermodynamic state.