How is Taylor expansion used in physics?

In summary, The conversation discusses understanding a concept involving Taylor expansion for small delta-r2. The speaker suggests considering (r_2-r_1) as one quantity and \Delta r as another quantity and ignoring the (\Delta r)^2 term. They also suggest using (1 + \Delta)^p \approx 1 + p \Delta for small |\Delta|. The speaker asks if the listener knows how to use TeX and suggests spelling out the equations for better understanding. The conversation concludes with the listener understanding the concept and thanking the speaker.
spaghetti3451
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I put this here!

In the photo, you see there's written 'Taylor expanding for small delta-r2, we find' ...

I really don't get the two steps in the next line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
he skips some steps. consider [itex] (r_2-r_1) [/itex] as a single quantity and [itex]\Delta r[/itex] as another quantity. ignore the [itex](\Delta r)^2[/itex] term in the expansion as being super small. then use:[tex] (1 + \Delta)^p \approx 1 + p \Delta [/tex]

for small [itex]|\Delta|[/itex].

so multiple approximations are going on here.

I see! But i still don't get the step after that. Any hints?

failexam said:
I see! But i still don't get the step after that. Any hints?

what? the [itex]\Delta d[/itex] thing?

i have a suggestion, do you know how to use TeX? try it out and spell out the equations right here. a jpg of a projected image is easy for you, but hard for me. since you're the person seeking help, it might behoove you to not make it unnecessarily difficult for whoever helps you.

but, after that approximation, it's all just algebra.

I see how it all works out, now! It's quite simple, really! But, anyway, thanks for trying to make a dumbass like me understand such a difficult concept.

Related to How is Taylor expansion used in physics?

1. What is a Taylor expansion in physics?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used in physics to approximate a function using a series of terms. It is based on the idea that any smooth function can be represented as an infinite sum of simpler functions, called Taylor series.

2. Why is Taylor expansion important in physics?

Taylor expansion is important in physics because it allows us to approximate complex functions and make predictions about their behavior without having to solve them exactly. This is especially useful in situations where the exact solution is difficult or impossible to obtain.

3. How is Taylor expansion used in physics?

Taylor expansion is used in physics to approximate functions in various areas such as mechanics, electromagnetics, and thermodynamics. It can be used to calculate derivatives, integrals, and other mathematical operations, making it a versatile tool in solving problems in physics.

4. What is the difference between a Taylor series and a Maclaurin series?

A Taylor series is a representation of a function using a sum of terms centered around a specific point, while a Maclaurin series is a special case of a Taylor series where the function is centered around 0. In other words, a Maclaurin series is a simplified version of a Taylor series.

5. Can Taylor expansion be used for all functions?

No, Taylor expansion can only be used for functions that are infinitely differentiable, meaning they have derivatives of all orders. Some functions, like step functions or functions with discontinuities, cannot be represented by Taylor series.