How is the arrow of time defined?

In summary: You can have advanced waves, you can have waves in a Feynman diagram going backwards in time. But "time going backwards" is not a meaningful concept. You haven't described a way that this could happen, consistent with the laws of physics.In summary, Physical processes do not require an arrow of time to be defined. However, our everyday experience and observations suggest that time is unidirectional. This is due to the increase of entropy, as explained by physicist Sean Carroll. He believes that the arrow of time is a result of our universe starting out in a low entropy state and entropy increasing over time. While there are some processes, such as those involving the weak interaction, that are not time-symmetric, they are
nikkkom said:
This can also indicate that we did not yet discover the time-asymmetric part of the laws of physics.

Yes, this is possible. But the OP of this thread assumed that the laws are time symmetric, so that is the context I have been using.

Space news on Phys.org
It seems even more weird to think of a time reversed solution of coalescing black holes emitting gravitational waves thereby or of the time reversed solution of the oxihydrogen reaction.

timmdeeg said:
It seems even more weird to think of a time reversed solution of coalescing black holes emitting gravitational waves thereby or of the time reversed solution of the oxihydrogen reaction.

It seems weird to us, yes. But both of these are valid solutions.

All,

As to the source of the arrow of time a known corollary of relativity is that everything continually moves through combined space and time at the speed of light. Call this the STc Principle or STc for short. This is a fundamental principle that makes relativity much easier to understand. It also solves the arrow of time problem and puts the arrow of time on a firm physical basis produced by relativity itself.

Since STc tells us that everything is continually moving through time at c everything has to be at one and only one position in clock time and moving in one and only one direction.

So a proper understanding of relativity itself solves the arrow of time problem.

The notion of entropy as the source of the arrow of time is incorrect for two obvious reasons. 1. Entropy varies widely throughout the universe and clock time rates have nothing to do with those variations. 2. Entropy states are NOT fundamental because they depend entirely on the prevailing mix of fundamental forces. Eg. the maximum entropy state of a universe of attractive gravity will be the minimum entropy state of a universe of repulsive gravity and vice versa. Therefore entropy states are derivative rather than fundamental, and entropy cannot be the source of the arrow of time.

Edgar

Edgar L Owen said:
everything continually moves through combined space and time at the speed of light.

This is a common pop science statement (Brian Greene likes it, for example), but it's not a good description of the actual physics because it often leads to misconceptions. We've had a number of previous threads here on this (none too recently, though).

Edgar L Owen said:
Since STc tells us that everything is continually moving through time at c everything has to be at one and only one position in clock time

This is one of the misconceptions. The concept of "clock time" does not apply to lightlike objects (objects like light rays that move on null worldlines, not timelike worldlines). But the actual physics does include lightlike objects, so this interpretation won't work.

Edgar L Owen said:
Entropy varies widely throughout the universe and clock time rates have nothing to do with those variations.

This doesn't matter; all that matters is that the direction of increasing entropy matches the direction of increasing clock time (for objects moving on timelike worldlines).

Edgar L Owen said:
Entropy states are NOT fundamental

This doesn't matter either unless you think the arrow of time is fundamental. But we don't know that that is the case. Physical laws don't appear to have any fundamental arrow of time built into them.

Edgar L Owen said:
the maximum entropy state of a universe of attractive gravity will be the minimum entropy state of a universe of repulsive gravity and vice versa.

What do you mean by "attractive gravity" and "repulsive gravity"?

Hi Peter,

My understanding is that clock time does apply to photons but that the comoving clocks of photons just have no velocity in time. That's completely consistent with STc since all their combined c spacetime velocity is through space..

The question is whether STc is true or not, not whether it's "pop science". I think the evidence is that it is true and is fundamental.

Any proposal that entropy is the source of the arrow of time must suggest an actual mechanism for why this is true. I know of no possible mechanism. STc does provide a very simple mechanism consistent with relativity itself.

Quantum decoherences do have a fundamental irreversible arrow of time built in and everything actually happens at the quantum level. Only classical level laws are time independent.

Repulsive gravity eg. the cosmological constant. The point is that the measure of entropy depends on the prevailing mix of forces and changes with that mix rather than being fundamental.

Edgar

Edgar L Owen said:
My understanding is that clock time does apply to photons

Your understanding is incorrect. For the concept of "clock time" to apply to photons, you would have to be able to use proper time, i.e., Minkowski "length", as an affine parameter on their worldlines, as you can on timelike worldlines. But you can't, because photon worldlines are null--their Minkowski length is zero.

Edgar L Owen said:
but that the comoving clocks of photons just have no velocity in time

Again, this is a common pop science notion, but it doesn't work when you actually try to do the math. This notion does not recognize the fundamental physical difference between timelike worldlines and null worldlines. See above.

Edgar L Owen said:
I think the evidence is that it is true

Please give references (textbooks or peer-reviewed papers) to support this statement. Otherwise it is just your personal opinion and is out of bounds for discussion here at PF. Please review the PF rules.

Edgar L Owen said:
Any proposal that entropy is the source of the arrow of time must suggest an actual mechanism for why this is true. I know of no possible mechanism.

I described one earlier in this thread: it's due to the time asymmetry of initial conditions.

Edgar L Owen said:
Quantum decoherences do have a fundamental irreversible arrow of time built in

Reference, please?

Edgar L Owen said:
Repulsive gravity eg. the cosmological constant.

What do you think the minimum entropy state is in the presence of a cosmological constant? (For example, in a de Sitter universe.) And what do you think the minimum entropy state is in the presence of "attractive gravity" (by which I assume you mean a universe with ordinary matter and energy present).

Peter,

It's accepted science that quantum processes in which exact decoherence values are randomly chosen from probability distributions are not time reversible to the probability distributions from which they were randomly chosen. And everything actually happens at the quantum level. Therefore it's clear that real world processes are not time reversible. I'm surprised you'd even doubt that.

The maximum entropy state in a purely attractive gravity universe (assuming no other forces and no initial expansion for illustrative simplicity) is a collapse to a single universal black hole. The maximum entropy state in the same universe with only repulsive gravity is an unending expansion and even distribution of all matter. The minimum entropy states are the reverse. If gravity is reversed entropy states reverse. Therefore it's forces not entropy states that are fundamental and entropy can't be the source of the arrow of time because time runs in the same direction in both universes. As I said in a 4 force expanding universe like our own the min and max eventual entropy states are not clear.

Saying that the proper time of photons is zero is completely consistent with light like world lines having zero interval length.

If you think that STc is mathematically inconsistent please explain why.

Edgar

Edgar L Owen said:
It's accepted science that quantum processes in which exact decoherence values are randomly chosen from probability distributions are not time reversible to the probability distributions from which they were randomly chosen.

Yes, I know. But it's also accepted science that quantum mechanics is unitary, and unitary necessarily implies time reversible (because any unitary mapping is one to one and invertible). So you have yourself a conundrum here: either QM is not unitary, or something is missing from your statement above.

AFAIK nobody has come up with a workable way to make a quantum theory that is not unitary. So that leaves option 2. The thing that is missing is that you are looking at probability distributions instead of states. If you look at states, everything is reversible, and entropy increase is a matter of selecting improbable initial conditions (improbable compared to thermal equilibrium).

Edgar L Owen said:
The maximum entropy state in a purely attractive gravity universe (assuming no other forces and no initial expansion for illustrative simplicity) is a collapse to a single universal black hole.

You are wrong here in two ways. First, "collapse to a single universal black hole" is not a valid description of the Big Crunch singularity that will occur at the end of a universe with attractive gravity which has zero expansion at some moment of time.

Second, while many physicists did believe at one time that a black hole was the maximum entropy state for an isolated static system with attractive gravity (note that such a system cannot be the entire universe), that was before the discovery of Hawking radiation. When you add Hawking radiation to the mix, it turns out that the maximum entropy state for this type of system is Hawking radiation escaping outward to infinity from a black hole that has fully evaporated. (At least, according to our best current understanding; we won't know for sure until we have a full theory of quantum gravity.)

Edgar L Owen said:
The maximum entropy state in the same universe with only repulsive gravity is an unending expansion and even distribution of all matter.

Remember that here we are talking about de Sitter spacetime; and what you describe here is not the "end state" of that spacetime, it is its state at all times. The apparent "expansion" in this spacetime is actually something of an illusion, caused by a particular choice of time slicing. One can choose another slicing in which the spacetime is static--unchanging with time--at least inside the cosmological horizon.

Edgar L Owen said:
The minimum entropy states are the reverse.

For de Sitter spacetime, the "reverse" is the same, as noted above. Another way of putting it is that de Sitter spacetime is time symmetric. This is counterintuitive, but true.

For attractive gravity, as noted above, when you add Hawking radiation to the mix the final state turns out to be not much different from the initial state, at least when considering an isolated static system. But we know our universe as a whole is not an isolated static system. So none of this really applies to our universe.

Edgar L Owen said:
Saying that the proper time of photons is zero is completely consistent with light like world lines having zero interval length.

No, it isn't, because proper time has to be an affine parameter, and one of the requirements for that is that each event on the worldline has to be labeled with a unique value of the parameter. But on a photon's worldline, every event is labeled with the same length number, namely zero. In other words, you can't use the length to distinguish between events on a photon worldline, but you have to be able to do that in order to treat the length as a proper time.

You are coming close to a warning here, since what I have just said is part of the basic mathematical framework of relativity. I strongly suggest that you take a step back and consult some references.

Edgar L Owen said:
If you think that STc is mathematically inconsistent please explain why.

It's up to you to provide a reference if you think it's mathematically sound and has evidence in its favor. I haven't seen any reference or any math from you on it, so I have nothing to go on.

Likes stoomart
Peter,

The unitarity of quantum processes simply means that the sum of all probabilities of an event must equal 1. i don't see why that implies any time reversibility of quantum processes. Please explain.

You say I should look at states rather than probability distributions. But one state follows another via a random choice from the possibilities of the previous. Are you implying quantum choices are not made randomly? If they are I don't see how they are reversible. One can't reasonably consider a succession of states without considering the process that transforms one to the next, and that process is random not deterministic. Therefor I don't see how it could be time reversible.

Re Hawking radiation from a universal black hole. That depends 1. on whether space itself contracts to the size of the universal black hole. One could reasonably suspect that might happen since space originally inflated from essentially no volume after the big bang. 2. If space itself is contracting then eventually there will be nowhere for the Hawking radiation to go and the collapse will be complete.

Thanks for the Sean Carroll link. One question I have re the supposedly minimum entropy state of the immediate post big bang universe is if everything is at essentially the single point space occupied and particles don't even exist yet then how can entropy even be characterized?

But accepting that it was minimal assume that the previous big crunch state was a universal black hole with maximum entropy. Now assume the big bang was a black hole white hole transition in which gravity reversed from attractive to repulsive. In this scenario entropy also reverses and we automatically get both the improbable minimum entropy state of the big bang universe and inflation at the same time. This is of course speculative but this scenario would explain some important things if true.

Edgar

Edgar L Owen said:
The unitarity of quantum processes simply means that the sum of all probabilities of an event must equal 1.

No, it means that the time evolution of quantum states is realized by a unitary operator. (Typically this operator is expressed as ##\exp \left( - i \hat{H} t \right)##, where ##\hat{H}## is the Hamiltonian.) Since a unitary operator is one to one and invertible, the time evolution of quantum states is reversible. The sum of all probabilities being 1 is a consequence of this, but it is not the only implication of unitarity.

Edgar L Owen said:
one state follows another via a random choice from the possibilities of the previous.

No, it doesn't. It follows by a unitary transformation. The random choice only comes in under collapse interpretations, and those are just interpretations. No collapse interpretations, such as the MWI, make all of the same predictions for experimental results.

Edgar L Owen said:
Re Hawking radiation from a universal black hole.

What do you mean by a "universal black hole"? What mathematical solution of the Einstein Field Equations are you referring to?

Edgar L Owen said:
That depends 1. on whether space itself contracts to the size of the universal black hole.

If you are talking about a "Big Crunch" in a closed universe here, black holes are not possible in such a universe. Such a universe has no spatial infinity, and black holes--event horizons--are only possible if there is a spatial infinity, since that's how the event horizon is defined.

Edgar L Owen said:
if everything is at essentially the single point space occupied and particles don't even exist yet

No such state occurs in any models actually used in cosmology. The immediate "post Big Bang" state was a state of hot, dense, rapidly expanding plasma, full of particles. Just before that, while inflation was in progress (in models with inflation, such as Carroll's), was a rapidly expanding state in which the inflaton field was in a "false vacuum" state and no Standard Model particles were present (because all of the other quantum fields were in "true vacuum" states).

Edgar L Owen said:
how can entropy even be characterized?

The inflaton field is a scalar field (at least in most models, including Carroll's), and the Standard Model fields are spinor and vector fields (except the Higgs, which is scalar). All of these fields have well-defined entropy.

Edgar L Owen said:
assume that the previous big crunch state was a universal black hole

Again, what do you mean by "a universal black hole"? What mathematical solution of the Einstein Field Equations are you referring to? I'm not aware of any cosmological model that includes anything like this. If it's your own personal model, personal theories are off limits for discussion on PF; you would need to give an acceptable reference (textbook or peer-reviewed paper).

Edgar L Owen said:
Now assume the big bang was a black hole white hole transition in which gravity reversed from attractive to repulsive.

In the standard white hole (the past singularity of the maximally extended Schwarzschild solution), gravity is attractive, not repulsive. So I don't know what you're talking about here.

PeterDonis said:
Again, what do you mean by "a universal black hole"? What mathematical solution of the Einstein Field Equations are you referring to? I'm not aware of any cosmological model that includes anything like this. If it's your own personal model, personal theories are off limits for discussion on PF; you would need to give an acceptable reference (textbook or peer-reviewed paper).

I think he's referring to the weyl curveture hypothesis were the main assumption is that black hole singulaties i.e initial-final singularities formed in a universal gravitational collapse.. but didn't hold nowadays ( CCC version back in the days ). S=1/4 . kc^3 A/Gℏ-- due to recent discoveries. In fact what we see is that the expansion of the universe is accelerating and that the expansion should continue indefinitely.

"Penrose now believes that at the end of the universe all information will have been destroyed via black hole evaporation. The universe, consisting of nothing but radiation, will then have no concept of time or history, and so will "reset" itself by forgetting about its large entropy content. At that point there will be nothing to distinguish the universe from its pre-Big Bang state. Thus, a new Big Bang will occur, possibly with a different set of fundamental physical constants; then another, and another after that, for all eternity." Quite poetic nonetheless.

PeterDonis said:
In the standard white hole (the past singularity of the maximally extended Schwarzschild solution), gravity is attractive, not repulsive. So I don't know what you're talking about here.

... Maybe the hypothetical Schwarzschild's calculations of negative solution -- square root inside the horizon which is a representation of white hole. In addition, White holes appear in Einstein's field equation specifically in the Einstien Rosen Picture.. It is still hypothetical.

julcab12 said:
I think he's referring to the weyl curveture hypothesis were the main assumption is that black hole singulaties

No, the Weyl curvature hypothesis had to do with initial singularities: the hypothesis was that initial singularities, like the one in idealized FRW spacetimes, should have zero Weyl curvature. It was a way of picking out what spacetime models would be applicable to the universe in cosmology. It had nothing to do with black holes. Nor even with white holes: the white hole singularity in the maximally extended Schwarzschild spacetime has infinite Weyl curvature, not zero, so it can't possibly satisfy the WCH.

julcab12 said:
Penrose now believes that at the end of the universe all information will have been destroyed via black hole evaporation.

That is not the WCH. It's a separate idea.

julcab12 said:
Maybe the hypothetical Schwarzschild's calculations of negative solution -- square root inside the horizon which is a representation of white hole.

I don't know what you're talking about here. The mass of the white hole in the maximally extended Schwarzschild spacetime is positive; it's the same as the mass of the black hole (since they're both part of the same solution).

julcab12 said:
White holes appear in Einstein's field equation specifically in the Einstien Rosen Picture..

That's part of maximally extended Schwarzschild spacetime, yes.

julcab12 said:
It is still hypothetical.

No, it's unphysical, at least in the opinion of practically all physicists. Real black hole spacetimes do not include the white hole, or the Einstein-Rosen bridge; the presence of the non-vacuum region containing the object that originally collapsed to form the hole makes a big difference.

PeterDonis said:
No, the Weyl curvature hypothesis had to do with initial singularities: the hypothesis was that initial singularities, like the one in idealized FRW spacetimes, should have zero Weyl curvature. It was a way of picking out what spacetime models would be applicable to the universe in cosmology.

Im quoting Penrose Diagram or his assumption of a crunch scenario which is unlikely now.. He assumes the entire history of a closed universe starts from a uniform low entropy BB with Weyl=0 and ends with high entropy Big crunch. representing the congealing of many black holes---with weyl → ∞.

PeterDonis said:
I don't know what you're talking about here. The mass of the white hole in the maximally extended Schwarzschild spacetime is positive; it's the same as the mass of the black hole (since they're both part of the same solution).

.. I am referring to the non real mathematical artifact -- Kruskal–Szekeres coordinates. And yes it is not real. But i ve read somewhere "
A white hole model that fits cosmological observations would have to be the time reverse of a star collapsing to form a black hole. To a good approximation, we could ignore pressure and treat it like a spherical cloud of dust with no internal forces other than gravity. Stellar collapse has been intensively studied since the seminal work of Snyder and Oppenheimer in 1939 and this simple case is well understood. It is possible to construct an exact model of stellar collapse in the absence of pressure by gluing together any FRW solution inside the spherical star and a Schwarzschild solution outside. Spacetime within the star remains homogeneous and isotropic during the collapse.

It follows that the time reversal of this model for a collapsing sphere of dust is indistinguishable from the FRW models if the dust sphere is larger than the observable universe. In other words, we cannot rule out the possibility that the universe is a very large white hole. Only by waiting many billions of years until the edge of the sphere comes into view could we know." -- http://www.math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/universe.html

julcab12 said:
A white hole model that fits cosmological observations would have to be the time reverse of a star collapsing to form a black hole.

And we would have to be inside the non-vacuum region occupied by the exploding matter, yes.

julcab12 said:
we cannot rule out the possibility that the universe is a very large white hole

Not just based on the observation that the universe is expanding and that its matter density appears to be uniform on large scales, no. But the article you quote does not take into account the fact that the expansion is accelerating (it was written in 1997, when that part of our current best-fit cosmological model was still not fully established). There is no way to get accelerating expansion in a white hole model; the expansion in such a model can only decelerate.

Stephen Tashi said:
Perhaps the processes that implement our consciousness only have a "forward" direction in time, so we think time goes in that direction because our processes of thought go that way.
PeterDonis said:
As far as we can tell, this isn't the case; the processes that implement our consciousness do not involve any of the particular aspects of the weak interaction that are known to be time asymmetric.

What is the interpretation of "As far as we can tell"? I think you mean that as far as we can imagine a mathematical model of physical processes that implement consciousness, we imagine them to be time symmetric. On the other hand "as far a we can tell" from direct experience, we do distinguish between a past and a future.

Stephen Tashi said:
I think you mean that as far as we can imagine a mathematical model of physical processes that implement consciousness

No, I mean as far as we can tell about the actual physical processes that go on in our brains, they don't involve any of the aspects of weak interactions that are known to be time asymmetric. It's all basically electromagnetism, which is known to be time symmetric.

Stephen Tashi said:
"as far a we can tell" from direct experience, we do distinguish between a past and a future.

Yes, but that doesn't tell us whether the underlying physical laws are time asymmetric. It just tells us that something is time asymmetric. That something could just as well be the initial conditions.