How Is the Number of Molecules Calculated in Maxwell Speed Distribution?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Je m'appelle
Messages
117
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show that the number [tex]N(0,v)[/tex], of molecules of an ideal gas with speeds between 0 and v is given by

[tex]N(0,v) = N \left[ erf(\xi) - \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \xi e^{-\xi^2} \right][/tex]

Where,

[tex]erf(\xi) = \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{\xi} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

And,

[tex]\xi^2 = \left(\frac{mv^2}{2kT} \right)[/tex]

Homework Equations



[tex]\frac{dN_v}{N} = \sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}} \left( \frac{m}{kT}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}} v^2 e^{\frac{-mv^2}{2kT}} \ dv[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Alright, so I managed to get to the following

[tex]\frac{dN_v}{N} = \frac{4}{\sqrt{\pi}} x^2 e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

Where,

[tex]\alpha = \frac{m}{2kT}, \ x = \sqrt{\alpha}v[/tex]

=========================\\===========================

So far so good, but now when checking the solution on the textbook it claims the following algebraic manipulation which I can't follow

[tex]\frac{2N}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_{0}^{\xi} x (2xe^{-x^2} dx) = \frac{2N}{\sqrt{\pi}} x e^{-x^2} |_{\xi}^{0} \ + \ N \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{0}^{\xi} e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

What was done on the integral above, how can you "split" it like that?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


It's integration by parts. udv=d(uv)-vdu with u=x and dv=(2x)e^(-x^2)dx.
 
L-x said:
Integration by parts

But of course! Agh, how didn't I see that, I feel very stupid right now. :biggrin:

Thanks for the highlight, L-x!
 
No worries. It's not immidiately obvious, although the integral is written in a way which gives you a clue: x(2x) instead of 2x^2