Integration of Maxwell speed distribution function

In summary, the conversation discusses the steps needed to obtain the equation for average molecular speed from an integral involving the Maxwell distribution of speeds function. The values of M, R, v, and T are given, and the individual attempts at solving the problem are discussed. The issue of integration limits and the distinction between average velocity and speed are also brought up. The need to determine whether the given function is a probability density of velocity or speed is mentioned as a next step in solving the problem.
theghost28

Homework Statement

Show the steps needed to obtain the equation for average molecular speed, cavg=√8RT/πM from the integral (from negative infinity to infinity) ∫v*f(v)dv where f(v) is the Maxwell distribution of speeds function f(v)=4π*(M/2πRT)1.5v2e-Mv2/2RT

M is the molar mass of the particle in kg/mol, R is the gas constant (8.314), v is particle velocity, e is the natural number and T is temperature in Kelvin.

Homework Equations

In the problem statement

The Attempt at a Solution

Capture7.PNG

I changed v from the problem to x for simplicity since I'm used to using v for integration by parts. I'm fairly sure this solution is correct, as I've googled what the integral of x3*ex2 is and others have obtained this as well. The problem is when I evaluate that expression from negative infinity to infinity, I get zero. I've gone over my math multiple times, is there something I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
theghost28 said:

Homework Statement

Show the steps needed to obtain the equation for average molecular speed, cavg=√8RT/πM from the integral (from negative infinity to infinity) ∫v*f(v)dv where f(v) is the Maxwell distribution of speeds function f(v)=4π*(M/2πRT)1.5v2e-Mv2/2RT

M is the molar mass of the particle in kg/mol, R is the gas constant (8.314), v is particle velocity, e is the natural number and T is temperature in Kelvin.

Homework Equations

In the problem statement

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 98052

I changed v from the problem to x for simplicity since I'm used to using v for integration by parts. I'm fairly sure this solution is correct, as I've googled what the integral of x3*ex2 is and others have obtained this as well. The problem is when I evaluate that expression from negative infinity to infinity, I get zero. I've gone over my math multiple times, is there something I'm missing?
When you integrate the odd function vf(v) from -∞ to +∞, obviously you get 0.
Are you sure about the integration limits?

Maybe consider the following question: under what circumstances is speed negative?

I'm sure about the integration limits given in the assignment although I agree they don't really make sense. I guess I'll use 0 to infinity and make a note of it.

theghost28 said:
I'm sure about the integration limits given in the assignment although I agree they don't really make sense. I guess I'll use 0 to infinity and make a note of it.

Your calculation looks at average velocity, which is zero in this case. Average speed is different.

The first thing you need to figure out is whether the given ##f(v)## is a probability density of velocity or of speed. Can you see how to do that?

1. What is the Maxwell speed distribution function?

The Maxwell speed distribution function is a mathematical formula that describes the distribution of speeds of particles in a gas at a certain temperature. It was developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and is commonly used in statistical mechanics to model the behavior of gases.

2. How is the Maxwell speed distribution function derived?

The Maxwell speed distribution function is derived using statistical mechanics principles, specifically the Boltzmann distribution. It takes into account the mass of the particles, the temperature of the gas, and the average kinetic energy of the particles.

3. What is the significance of the Maxwell speed distribution function?

The Maxwell speed distribution function is significant because it allows scientists to predict the behavior of gases and understand their properties. It is also used in many practical applications, such as predicting the diffusion of gases and designing gas-based technologies.

4. How does the Maxwell speed distribution function relate to the kinetic theory of gases?

The Maxwell speed distribution function is directly related to the kinetic theory of gases. It is a mathematical representation of the kinetic theory, which states that the pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas are related to the average kinetic energy of the particles in the gas.

5. Can the Maxwell speed distribution function be applied to all types of gases?

Yes, the Maxwell speed distribution function can be applied to all types of gases, as long as they are in equilibrium and follow the laws of thermodynamics. However, it is most accurate for gases with low densities and non-interacting particles.