1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Maxwell speed distribution function

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show the steps needed to obtain the equation for average molecular speed, cavg=√8RT/πM from the integral (from negative infinity to infinity) ∫v*f(v)dv where f(v) is the Maxwell distribution of speeds function f(v)=4π*(M/2πRT)1.5v2e-Mv2/2RT

M is the molar mass of the particle in kg/mol, R is the gas constant (8.314), v is particle velocity, e is the natural number and T is temperature in Kelvin.

2. Relevant equations
    In the problem statement

3. The attempt at a solution
    Capture7.PNG

I changed v from the problem to x for simplicity since I'm used to using v for integration by parts. I'm fairly sure this solution is correct, as I've googled what the integral of x3*ex2 is and others have obtained this as well. The problem is when I evaluate that expression from negative infinity to infinity, I get zero. I've gone over my math multiple times, is there something I'm missing?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you integrate the odd function vf(v) from -∞ to +∞, obviously you get 0.
    Are you sure about the integration limits?

Maybe consider the following question: under what circumstances is speed negative?

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    I'm sure about the integration limits given in the assignment although I agree they don't really make sense. I guess I'll use 0 to infinity and make a note of it.

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your calculation looks at average velocity, which is zero in this case. Average speed is different.

The first thing you need to figure out is whether the given ##f(v)## is a probability density of velocity or of speed. Can you see how to do that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted