How Is Trigonometry Used to Calculate Forces on an Arrow's Bottom Beam?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter JJ32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Forces Trigonometry
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
JJ32
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
How would I calculate the force acting on the bottom beam in the arrow shown?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_other_shots/5726954751/
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to poke around and find the proper format for asking this kind of question on this forum. You need to state what the relevant equations are and what you have tried so far to get an answer. If we understand better where you are having difficulty, perhaps we can help. Folks here don't just DO homework problems for you they try to help you figure out how to do them.
 
Hi Phinds,

Thank you for the reply. I am designing a mechanism that will use a flexible pivot bearing (basically a spring bearing) at the rotate point in the diagram, http://www.c-flex.com/ .

For the bearing I want to use, i know that a downward force of 1 pound will give me a rotation clockwise of one degree.

But i will have a force acting on the mechanism in the direction of the arrow.
I would like to calculate the equivalent force that will be required to rotate the mechanism by one degree. I don't know where to start (with vectors?) to calculate the force I will need.

If you would have any hints on what i should be studying/ where i should be researching it would be much appreciated,

Best wishes,
 
Your restatement is more complete but until you find that format I was pointing out, I have no idea what you know and what you don't. Do you know trig for example? You need to state what MATH solution you have attempted and give more of a specific idea what your problem is. Please look for that format.