Calculating Combined Loading Stress: Neutral Axis and Bending Moment at Point A

morpheus343
Left side is fixed and right side is held together by a non deformable plate. There are two members with space inbetween. My question is when i want to calculate the stress due to bending moment at point A, which is shown in the crossection, where is the neutral axis? Is it at the middle of the whole thing, where the dotted line is (at the height of the force P), or do i take each member (top and bottom) as individuals and assume the neutral axis at the middle of each beam (h/4*1/2).
1694063817710.png

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate the stress due to bending moment at point A in a structure with two members connected by a non-deformable plate, you should consider each member individually and determine the neutral axis for each member separately. rsdfgrgvfd
The neutral axis is the axis within a member where the stress due to bending is zero. In a symmetric cross-section, like the one you described, the neutral axis typically passes through the centroid of the cross-section.
For each member (top and bottom), you can assume the neutral axis to be at the centroid of that specific member's cross-section. This means that the neutral axis for the top member is at a distance of h/4 from the top surface, and the neutral axis for the bottom member is at a distance of h/4 from the bottom surface, where 'h' is the height of the entire cross-section.
So, you should analyze each member separately and calculate the bending stress at point A based on the neutral axis position for that member. The stress in the top member and the stress in the bottom member might be different, and you'll need to account for both in your calculations.
In summary, when calculating the stress due to bending at point A, treat each member as an individual beam and determine the neutral axis for each member separately, considering their individual cross-sections and dimensions. :)

Thank you alot for your response. I have another question, i need to calculate the maximum shear forces and their planes at point B. Don't i need to be given the vertical force V that is causing the bending moment in order to find the transverse shear at point B using the τ=VQ/It formula and then use the general stress transformation formulas? I am only given the value of M and axial force P

1. What is the neutral axis in combined loading stress?

The neutral axis is an imaginary line that divides a cross-sectional area into two equal parts, with one part above the axis and one part below. It is the axis at which the internal stresses caused by bending are equal and opposite, resulting in a net stress of zero.

2. How do you calculate the neutral axis in combined loading stress?

The neutral axis can be calculated using the principle of moments. By equating the moments of the forces above and below the neutral axis, the distance of the neutral axis from a reference point can be determined.

3. What is the bending moment at point A in combined loading stress?

The bending moment at point A is the moment of a force about point A, which is caused by external loads acting on a structure. It is a measure of the internal stresses and forces within a structure due to bending.

4. How do you calculate the bending moment at point A in combined loading stress?

The bending moment at point A can be calculated using the equation M = F*d, where M is the bending moment, F is the force acting on the structure, and d is the distance from the point of force application to point A.

5. What factors can affect the calculation of combined loading stress?

The calculation of combined loading stress can be affected by factors such as the material properties of the structure, the magnitude and direction of the external loads, the geometry of the structure, and the location of the point of interest (such as point A) within the structure.