How Long Does It Take for a Comet With Zero Angular Momentum to Reach the Sun?

• Thread starter esradw
  • Start date
In summary, the comet released from rest at a distance rmax from the sun ( angular momentum=0 ). How long comet takes to reach the sun? (take sun`s radius to be zero) Assuming the comet can somehow pass freely through the sun describe its overal motion and find its period?The comet would be become trapped in the Sun's Schwartchild radius, as the Sun would be a black hole if it's radius were 0. But since it said "pass freely through", I'm just guessing, but wouldn't it distance itself from the Sun by the height it was dropped, except 180 degrees away, then fall back to the Sun, and continue this indefinately, like a pendulum
esradw
a) The comet released from rest at a distance rmax from the sun ( angular momentum =0 ). How long comet takes to reach the sun ? (take sun`s radius to be zero )
b) Assuming the comet can somehow pass freely through the sun describe its overal motion and find its period ?

I can't really think how to solve this problem , what I know it that since angular mom is zero, c=0 ( C= l^2/gama*reduced mass ,Gama=GMsMc)
so so if c=o c=rmax*(1-e) e=1 therefore Energy E=0 ( accually E=0 doesn't make sense eather since it has a PE = -Gmsmc/rmax ) so that is not a bonded orbit but parabolic orbit, But How can I use these to find the time ? the hint is use the technique t= integral dx/xdot where we find xdot from the Energy ( KE=mxdot/2=E-U(x) ) but I still don't understand how to use this since my understanding ( e=0 so E=0 )

please help, I would appreciate if anyone help. I still don't feel as if I completeley understood this subject but I have to turn the homework tomorrow :((

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, since the angular momentum is zero, this is just a one-dimensional forced motion problem. You know the force as a function of distance, so set this equal to m d2r/dt2 and solve the resulting ODE.

the answer is different than what I find

thanks for your reply but when I set the equation, the 't' I find is
t= r max^2/2GMs but the answer is t= (pi/2*root(2GMs))*(r max)^3/2 more like Kepler`s IIIth law. Do you have any suggestion for this one and the the b) ? ?

thanks again

How did you arrive at your expression for the time?

Also, don't you expect the answer to resemble Kepler - since Kepler's Law relate to elliptical orbits and the particular orbit here is also an ellipse in the limit that the semiminor radius goes to zero (degenerate)?

I actually expect that but I am confused a little. I understand that since angular mom=0 c=0 so c=rmax(1-e) e=1 a (semimajor)=rmax/2 and c=rmin(1+e) for c to be equal to zero rmin ( semiminor must go to zero. Right ? but But I still can not find the right answer :(( ( t= (pi/2*root(2GMs))*(r max)^3/2 )

The formula [tex]1.1\sqrt{\frac{a^3}{GM}}[/tex] provides an impressively accurate estimation.

b. The comet would be become trapped in the Sun's Schwartchild radius, as the Sun would be a black hole if it's radius were 0. But since it said "pass freely through", I'm just guessing, but wouldn't it distance itself from the Sun by the height it was dropped, except 180 degrees away, then fall back to the Sun, and continue this indefinately, like a pendulum?

Related to How Long Does It Take for a Comet With Zero Angular Momentum to Reach the Sun?

1. How do I approach a problem I don't know how to solve?

The first step is to understand the problem and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Then, research and gather information about the problem to gain a better understanding. Finally, try different strategies and methods to solve the problem.

2. What if I can't find a solution to the problem?

It's important to remember that not all problems have a clear solution. It's okay to ask for help from others, take a break and come back to it with fresh eyes, or even try a completely different approach. Sometimes, the process of finding a solution is just as valuable as the solution itself.

3. How do I prevent getting stuck on a problem?

It's important to have a positive mindset and believe in your ability to solve the problem. Also, make sure to take breaks and not get too fixated on one solution. Trying different approaches and seeking help when needed can also prevent getting stuck on a problem.

4. What if I feel overwhelmed by the problem?

It's normal to feel overwhelmed when faced with a difficult problem. Take a step back and break the problem down into smaller parts. Focus on one part at a time and celebrate small victories. It's also helpful to remind yourself that it's okay to make mistakes and that the process of problem-solving is a learning experience.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice makes perfect! The more you challenge yourself with different problems, the better you will become at solving them. It's also helpful to seek feedback from others and learn from their approaches. Additionally, continuously learning and expanding your knowledge in your field of study can also improve your problem-solving skills.