How Long to Fill an Aquaculture System Using a 200m Long Pipe?

• Thread starter majin
  • Start date
In summary, a student is seeking help with a math assignment related to aquaculture. The question asks how long it would take to fill a system with a capacity of 2998 cubic litres using an ocean intake pipe that is 200m long and 100mm wide, and delivers water at a velocity of 3 ms-1. The thread was moved to a homework forum, and other users are asking for more information about the shape of the pipe in order to help solve the problem.
majin
I have a maths assignment for aquaculture that is due in on monday and this one questions has stumped me:

if a system which contained 2998cubic litres at full capacity was filled from an ocean intake pipe that was 200m long and 100mm wide and delivered water at a velocity of 3 ms-1, how long would it take to fill the system to capacity?

can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think?

I moved this thread to the homework forums. Majin, what is the shape of the pipe again? It doesn't matter how long it is, you just need to know the shape of the output that dumps water in the tank. Then use the 3m/s flow rate to tell you the volume per second of water flowing. Show your work so far so that we can help if you still need it.

The volume of the reservoir is in litres so you need to find how fast it is being filled in litres/second. You know the water is going through the pipe at 3 metres/second so you need to find out how much volume that would be. What volume of water is held in 3 metres of pipe? Volume is "area times length" so what is the cross section area of the pipe? That depends on the shape of the pipe. You said it is "100mm wide". Is that the diameter of a cylindrical pipe?

Related to How Long to Fill an Aquaculture System Using a 200m Long Pipe?

What exactly is the "maths question that stumped me"?

The "maths question that stumped me" refers to a specific mathematical problem or concept that has caused confusion or difficulty for the person asking the question.

Why is it important to address this question?

Addressing this question can help improve understanding and problem-solving skills in mathematics, and can also help others who may be struggling with the same or similar question.

How can I solve the "maths question that stumped me"?

The best way to solve the "maths question that stumped me" is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts and to use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, making a list, or working backwards. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher or tutor.

What should I do if I still can't solve the question?

If you are still unable to solve the "maths question that stumped me" after attempting different strategies and seeking help, it is important to not get discouraged. It may be helpful to take a break and come back to the question later, or to try approaching it from a different angle.

How can I prevent getting stumped by a maths question in the future?

To prevent getting stumped by a maths question in the future, it is important to practice regularly and to ask for help when needed. It can also be helpful to review any mistakes made and to identify areas that need improvement. Developing a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts can also make tackling more challenging problems easier.