Would You Turn In a Friend for Committing Murder?

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, Jerry and Kramer argue about who should turn in the other if they were to commit a murder. Jerry argues that because they are friends, Kramer shouldn't turn him in. Kramer argues that because Jerry has admitted to committing murder in cold blood, then there is no point in continuing to be friends.
Dagenais
After watching Seinfeld a few days ago, an interesting question was brought up on the show, by Jerry and Kramer.

Jerry said that if he commited murder, Kramer shouldn't turn him in because "he knew him", and it was friendship loyalty.

Kramer said he would immediately turn in Jerry. Because, who's to say, "I'm not next"?

In which Jerry replied, "But you know me!"

Kramer: "Well, I thought I did."

So, who's side are you on?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm with Jerry on that one. Friends don't rat out friends. I've lost all respect for Kramer.

I'm with Kramer...if the guy you thought you knew turns out to be someone else, all bets are off.

I'm with kramer.

Originally posted by Zero
I'm with Kramer...if the guy you thought you knew turns out to be someone else, all bets are off.
Ditto.

Kramer

i would side with Kramer, but only because of his Kevorka...

Jerry: BUT YOU KNOW ME!

Anyways, Kramer snuck a Cafe Latte into a theatre, then he tripped and spilt it on himself. He was caught, thanks to Jerry ratting him out. :wink:

He sued the company and took a free Cafe Latte deal for the rest of his life. His lawyer, Jackie Childs - disappointed.

Originally posted by Kerrie
i would side with Kramer, but only because of his Kevorka...
His Kevorka has no effect on me. I voted Kramer because of his snappy wardrobe.

I'd work with him to pin it on George.

Njorl

I'm on Kramer's side. It's reasonable to say that a person would not want to become friends with a murderer. (If the opposite is true, then there is no conflict.) Therefore, if Jerry committed the murder, then Jerry had obviously previously deceived Kramer and is not a true friend anyway. Jerry is the one who is unloyal for becoming a murderer and expecting Kramer to abandon his morals in the name of "friendship." Kramer had been loyal by not expecting Jerry to commit murder in the first place.

Bear in mind that this applies only if Jerry has admitted that the murder was in cold blood. If Jerry claims he was justified in his killing, then it becomes a moral decision on Kramer's part, and I would tend to lean on Jerry's side. If Jerry is obviously lying, I would have my doubts, but no matter what I wouldn't turn him in unless I knew that he was guilty.

Last edited:

1. How is loyalty measured in a person?

The concept of loyalty is complex and can be measured in various ways. Some common measures include trustworthiness, dependability, commitment, and consistency in behavior and actions.

2. Can loyalty change over time?

Yes, loyalty is not a fixed trait and can change over time. Factors such as changing circumstances, experiences, and relationships can all influence a person's level of loyalty.

3. Is loyalty always a positive trait?

While loyalty is often seen as a positive trait, it can also have negative consequences. Blind loyalty, for example, can lead to harmful or unethical behavior. It is important to consider the context and motivations behind a person's loyalty.

4. Are there genetic factors that influence loyalty?

While there is no specific gene for loyalty, research suggests that genetics can play a role in a person's tendency towards certain personality traits, such as trustworthiness and empathy, which can impact their level of loyalty.

5. Can loyalty be taught or learned?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards loyalty, it is also a trait that can be taught and learned. Factors such as upbringing, cultural values, and personal experiences can all contribute to a person's understanding and expression of loyalty.