How Many 100W Bulbs Can Be Powered by Converting Water's Potential Energy?

In summary, to generate electricity, 180000 kg of water is dropped from a height of 50 m, with a gravitational potential energy of 90000000 J. Half of this energy is converted to electric energy, resulting in 45000000 J. Assuming a rate of flow of 180000 kg per hour, this translates to a power of 12500 W. Therefore, approximately 125 100 W bulbs can be lit.
ROCKSTAR99
OP warned about not using the template
Could anyone help me with this sum - To generate electricity, 180000 kg water is dropped from a height of 50 m (let g = 10 m/s^2). If half the gravitational potential energy is converted to electric energy, how many 100 W bulbs can be lit ?

Formula - Ep = mgh

I calculated the potential energy to be 90000000 J. Half of it is electric energy = 45000000 J. I am at a loss from here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ROCKSTAR99 said:
I calculated the potential energy to be 90000000 Js. Half of it is electric energy = 45000000 Js.
The units don't work. Energy should be in joules. You will also need a time so you can convert the power consumption of the light bulbs into a total energy consumption.

DrClaude said:
The units don't work. Energy should be in joules. You will also need a time so you can convert the power consumption of the light bulbs into a total energy consumption.

So, is the question wrong ?

ROCKSTAR99 said:
I calculated the potential energy to be 90000000 Js. Half of it is electric energy = 45000000 Js. I am at a loss from here.
why not use the conversion table of watt and joule? one joule per second is equal to one watt!
when water is coming down -it should have some rate of flow - so you should not write Js only -whether s is for time or its joules?

ROCKSTAR99 said:
So, is the question wrong ?
Not necessarily. It is not very well formulated, but there are different ways of coming up with a reasonable answer.

drvrm said:
why not use the conversion table of watt and joule? one joule per second is equal to one watt!
when water is coming down -it should have some rate of flow - so you should not write Js only -whether s is for time or its joules?

s is for seconds

DrClaude said:
Not necessarily. It is not very well formulated, but there are different ways of coming up with a reasonable answer.

Lets say 180000 kg of water fall per hour. Now, can we find an answer ?

ROCKSTAR99 said:
s is for seconds

does it mean joule in a second then it is J s^-1 or J/s -it means the rate of flow is there -then you can convert directly to watt and calcilate number of light bulbs.

ROCKSTAR99 said:
Lets say 180000 kg of water fall per hour. Now, can we find an answer ?
Yes. You first need to figure out how much gravitational potential energy there is in that mass of water.

drvrm said:
does it mean joule in a second then it is J s^-1 or J/s -it means the rate of flow is there -then you can convert directly to watt and calcilate number of light bulbs.

Using the mgh formula, I multiplied 180000 kg, 50 m and 10 m/s^2. It gave 90000000 kgm^2/s^2. I made a mistake, kgm^2/s^2 equals just Joules and there is no seconds.

Likes drvrm
ROCKSTAR99 said:
Using the mgh formula, I multiplied 180000 kg, 50 m and 10 m/s^2. It gave 90000000 kgm^2/s^2. I made a mistake, kgm^2/s^2 equals just Joules and there is no seconds.
Correct. Now you need to convert it to power, using the assumption you have made about the rate of flow.

DrClaude said:
Correct. Now you need to convert it to power, using the assumption you have made about the rate of flow.

Ok, so 90000000 J is converted to 45000000 J of electric energy. As 1 watt = 1 joule per second, 45000000 J/ 3600 s gives 12500 W. So, is the answer 125 bulbs (12500 W/ 100 W) ? If it is, Thanks a lot.

ROCKSTAR99 said:
Ok, so 90000000 J is converted to 45000000 J of electric energy. As 1 watt = 1 joule per second, 45000000 J/ 3600 s gives 12500 W. So, is the answer 125 bulbs (12500 W/ 100 W) ? If it is, Thanks a lot.
That sounds fine.

Likes ROCKSTAR99

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a force field. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work in the future.

What is the unit of measurement for potential energy?

The unit of measurement for potential energy is joules (J).

How is potential energy related to watts?

Potential energy and watts are not directly related. Watts is a unit of power, which is the rate at which energy is transferred or used. Potential energy is a measure of stored energy, while watts measure energy transfer or usage over time.

Can potential energy be converted into watts?

No, potential energy cannot be directly converted into watts. However, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy that can then be measured in watts, such as kinetic energy.

How is potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object in the force field.