How many bricks can be put without disordering the equilibrium

In summary: I don't know what to say about that formula. I played around with it a bit and the results don't look promising. For example, if you replace L with 10 and the 5 with 1, you get a zero in the numerator and a 2 in the denominator. That's inconsistent with the fact that at least 3 bricks can be stacked. I still don't know where you got the formula, but for the moment, forget the formula. Think about WHY are you convinced that 3 will work. Can you extend your logic to 4? This kind of progression often leads to an understanding of just what is going on and what a reasonable math process might be to solve the problem.EDIT: Actually
MaiteB

Homework Statement

A homogenous brick with length L, is on a horizontal surface. On this brick are put one after another other bricks, which are the same with the first. Every brick is moved along L/5 units horizontally from the predecessor one. How many bricks can be put without disordering the equilibrium?

Homework Equations

(L/2)/(L/5)=2.5

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the bricks are homogeneous then the center of gravity is in the middle. So in the point L/2. So (L/2)/(L/5)=2.5, so there are 2 bricks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MaiteB said:

Homework Statement

A homogenous brick with length L, is on a horizontal surface. On this brick are put one after another other bricks, which are the same with the first. Every brick is moved along L/5 units horizontally from the predecessor one. How many bricks can be put without disordering the equilibrium?

Homework Equations

(L/2)/(L/5)=2.5

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the bricks are homogeneous then the center of gravity is in the middle. So in the point L/2. So (L/2)/(L/5)=2.5, so there are 2 bricks.
That's not correct.

Certainly, at least three bricks can be stacked this way.

What is the logic behind your (L/2)/(L/5) expression?

SammyS said:
That's not correct.

Certainly, at least three bricks can be stacked this way.
And can you tell me what the real answer is? If I knew, I wouldn't ask it here...

MaiteB said:
And can you tell me what the real answer is? If I knew, I wouldn't ask it here...
we're actually a lot more interested in helping people figure out how to get their own answers than we are in just spoon-feeding answers. How about you answer haruspex's question.

Likes SammyS
haruspex said:
What is the logic behind your (L/2)/(L/5) expression?
The logic behind is how many bricks can be put until reaching the middle of the brick, where the gravity force is applied

MaiteB said:
The logic behind is how many bricks can be put until reaching the middle of the brick, where the gravity force is applied
I'm not following what you mean by that. It's possible that this somewhat muddled statement is just a reflection of your confusion. Probably you'd get a better handle on the problem by drawing a diagram with force vectors. Certainly a diagram would immediately show you the truth of Sammy's statement.

phinds said:
I'm not following what you mean by that. It's possible that this somewhat muddled statement is just a reflection of your confusion. Probably you'd get a better handle on the problem by drawing a diagram with force vectors. Certainly a diagram would immediately show you the truth of Sammy's statement.
I did it and I can't get to any conclusion. Look here http://imgur.com/sVHj4uB

MaiteB said:
Are you saying that your diagram does not convince you of the truth of Sammy's statement?

Taking it a step further, it's fairly obvious, if you continue the diagram, that you can do at least 4 bricks, but that may not be the end of it. I haven't worked it out in detail.

phinds said:
Are you saying that your diagram does not convince you of the truth of Sammy's statement?

Taking it a step further, it's fairly obvious, if you continue the diagram, that you can do at least 4 bricks, but that may not be the end of it. I haven't worked it out in detail.
One says at least 3 you say four... can you give me a concrete and convincing way of solving this problem?

MaiteB said:
One says at least 3 you say four... can you give me a concrete and convincing way of solving this problem?
So, you ARE saying that your diagram does not convince you that at least 3 bricks can be stacked? I've asked this a couple of times now and you have not answered.

Try a diagram w/ 4 bricks and see if it's isn't fairly obvious that 4 will work.

phinds said:
So, you ARE saying that your diagram does not convince you that at least 3 bricks can be stacked? I've asked this a couple of times now and you have not answered.

Try a diagram w/ 4 bricks and see if it's isn't fairly obvious that 4 will work.
I can't understand how a diagram can convince me if we can put 3 or 4

MaiteB said:
I can't understand how a diagram can convince me if we can put 3 or 4
What I'm asking is whether or not your diagram convinces you that 3 works. Forget 4. Forget the final answer. DOES 3 WORK ?

phinds said:
What I'm asking is whether or not your diagram convinces you that 3 works. Forget 4. Forget the final answer. DOES 3 WORK ?
Yes, I do. It has to do with the equation I said, right?

MaiteB - Forum rules discourage us from just giving you the answer.

It would help a lot if you posted your diagram so we can see what if any mistakes you are making. For example it's tempting to think that it's only the centre of mass of the top brick that matters. That would be a mistake.

CWatters said:
MaiteB - Forum rules discourage us from just giving you the answer.

It would help a lot if you posted your diagram so we can see what if any mistakes you are making. For example it's tempting to think that it's only the centre of mass of the top brick that matters. That would be a mistake.
He posted a link to a diagram w/ 3 bricks, which is why I kept asking him if that diagram convinced him that 3 would work.

MaiteB said:
sVHj4uB.png

Hope this helps. It's now uploaded to PF.

MaiteB said:
Yes, I do. It has to do with the equation I said, right?
I still don't know where you got the formula, but for the moment, forget the formula. Think about WHY are you convinced that 3 will work. Can you extend your logic to 4? This kind of progression often leads to an understanding of just what is going on and what a reasonable math process might be to solve the problem.

EDIT: Actually, I shouldn't say that I don't know where you got the formula, what I should say is that I haven't even looked at the formula. I've been trying to get you to think about it logically so you can figure out if your formula or some other is the general solution. I don't care about formulas, I care about understanding how you GET formulas.

phinds said:
I still don't know where you got the formula, but for the moment, forget the formula. Think about WHY are you convinced that 3 will work. Can you extend your logic to 4? This kind of progression often leads to an understanding of just what is going on and what a reasonable math process might be to solve the problem.
If I put four, it will be out of the mass center and the brick will fall

MaiteB said:
If I put four, it will be out of the mass center and the brick will fall
OK, there's your problem. You are not analyzing the mass distribution properly. Try again.

And by the way, to reiterate what cwaters said, we are not trying to give you a hard time or annoy you or make you jump through hoops, we are trying to help you understand how to solve such problems.

phinds said:
OK, there's your problem. You are not analyzing the mass distribution properly. Try again.

And by the way, to reiterate what cwaters said, we are not trying to give you a hard time or annoy you or make you jump through hoops, we are trying to help you understand how to solve such problems.
Can you give me a hint? Cause I don't think the idea will come just like that

Here's a hint. Draw a dot at the center of mass of each brick and connect the dots. I say again, it's a matter of looking at the progression. Think about the dot-line for 2 bricks, 3 bricks, 4 bricks. Where is the total center of mass for each set (of 2, then 3, then 4)?

phinds said:
Here's a hint. Draw a dot at the center of mass of each brick and connect the dots. I say again, it's a matter of looking at the progression. Think about the dot-line for 2 bricks, 3 bricks, 4 bricks. Where is the total center of mass for each set (of 2, then 3, then 4)?
It forms a line that has an angle with the horizontal plane

MaiteB said:
Answer the rest of bhinds's questions, please

MaiteB said:
Attempting to help you with this problem is beginning to feel like pulling teeth. MY teeth. As Sammy said, please answer the rest of my questions. You continue to not answer questions as I ask them. I am not just throwing out random questions for the hell of it. If you don't know the answer or don't understand the question, then say so. Continuing to just ignore my questions is really dragging this out.

phinds said:
Attempting to help you with this problem is beginning to feel like pulling teeth. MY teeth. As Sammy said, please answer the rest of my questions. You continue to not answer questions as I ask them. I am not just throwing out random questions for the hell of it. If you don't know the answer or don't understand the question, then say so. Continuing to just ignore my questions is really dragging this out.
I answered your last question. Are you asking me to do the same picture I showed before just joining the center of mass points? Yes I did it... And what? it is a line that has an angle with the plane.
And about you attempt, I really appreciate it, but try to understand me too. I am a person that does not have english as her native language and some terms are difficult for me

phinds said:
MaiteB said:
phinds said:
... As Sammy said, please answer the rest of my questions. ...
MaiteB said:
I answered your last question.
This is the question you didn't address:
"Think about the dot-line for 2 bricks, 3 bricks, 4 bricks. Where is the total center of mass for each set (of 2, then 3, then 4)?. Where is the total center of mass for each set (of 2, then 3, then 4)?"​

SammyS said:
This is the question you didn't address:
"Think about the dot-line for 2 bricks, 3 bricks, 4 bricks. Where is the total center of mass for each set (of 2, then 3, then 4)?. Where is the total center of mass for each set (of 2, then 3, then 4)?"​
I don't know

MaiteB said:
I don't know

Hint:

It's along that dot-line, somwwhere.

Try to figure out where that is.

SammyS said:
Hint:

It's along that dot-line, somwwhere.

Try to figure out where that is.
In the middle of it?

MaiteB said:
In the middle of it?
Yes. Having found that mass centre, how will you decide whether the structure is stable?

haruspex said:
Yes. Having found that mass centre, how will you decide whether the structure is stable?
I don't know. Could you help me?

MaiteB said:
I don't know. Could you help me?
There are several ways in which the stack of bricks could be unstable, since it has four possible points of separation: one between the top two bricks, one between the second and third brick, and so on.
In principle, you need to check each of these.
To check one, consider all the bricks above that point as a single unit. If I place an object on the floor, what determines whether it will stay put or fall over? Where does the mass centre need to be in relation to the base?

1. How do you define equilibrium in this scenario?

In this scenario, equilibrium refers to a state where all the forces acting on the bricks are balanced, resulting in no movement or displacement of the bricks.

2. What factors affect the equilibrium of bricks?

The equilibrium of bricks can be affected by various factors such as the weight and size of the bricks, the surface they are placed on, and any external forces acting on them.

3. Is there a maximum number of bricks that can be placed without disrupting the equilibrium?

Yes, there is a maximum number of bricks that can be placed without disrupting the equilibrium. This number depends on the weight and size of the bricks, as well as the surface they are placed on.

4. How can you determine the maximum number of bricks that can be placed without disordering the equilibrium?

The maximum number of bricks can be determined by conducting experiments and calculations based on the weight and size of the bricks, as well as the surface they are placed on. This can also be determined by using mathematical equations and principles of physics.

5. Can the equilibrium of bricks be maintained indefinitely?

No, the equilibrium of bricks cannot be maintained indefinitely. Over time, external factors such as changes in temperature and humidity, or even slight movements of the surface, can disrupt the equilibrium of the bricks.