How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter tehno
  • Start date
In summary: where most people learn two languages in school...that most people only speak one of those languages fluently.

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• I speak no other language except my native language

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I speak/read one foreign language

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I speak/read two foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I speak/read three or more foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
tehno
I'm pretty fluent in English and German.My Russian needs a significant improvement,however.

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.

My native language is English.

I have the literacy of a two-year-old in about three others.

English is my native language but I speak German and am fairly competant at French.

My native language is Croatian. It's obvious what's the first non-native language I speak, und hier ist auch die zweite solche Sprache.

(...et mon Francais est terrible. :tongue2: )

Fluent in English English, can read French, and can speak 'holiday French'. And I can say "cheers" in Finnish!

brewnog said:
Fluent in English English, ...
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.

jtbell said:
Might want to mention your native language, for a point of reference, while you're at it.
Croatian is my native language.

jtbell said:

As for me, (American) English is my native language. My "best" foreign languages (the ones I try to keep up with by reading regularly, at least) are German and Finnish, so I'll put down "two". I've also studied some Spanish and Russian, so I can read street signs and other simple stuff, but I can't say I know them well.

Finnish? Have you tried Hungarian also? The ugric language group is fascinating as it sounds NOTHING like any other European language

It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D

Quaoar said:
It's surprising to me that 2 foreign languages has the most votes at the moment. Also, whoever made the poll should not have made it legal to select multiple options :D

Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?

tehno said:
Croatian is my native language.

Pozdrav, zemljache! :cool:

Quaoar said:

Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.

Kurdt said:
Is that a good surprise or bad surprise?

Good surprise :tongue:

radou said:
Actually, most of the people speak 2 foreign languages, at least based on my experience.

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

My native language is English. I am fluent and literate in Japanese. When I was young I was fluent and literate in Hebrew, but I have forgotten it, so I only gave myself credit for one foreign language. My wife's native language is Chinese. She also speaks Taiwanese and Japanese. She had a hard time when she came to the US as we could only find schools that teach English as a second language.

Quaoar said:
Good surprise :tongue:

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general. I would think that most people speak one foreign language because they're either forced to learn a second language in school (my case), or their parents are immigrants and speak another language at home. And unless you spend a significant amount of time in another country that speaks the language you learned in school, it's doubtful that you're going to be fluent in that language.

You're right, but I was actually referring to 'well-educated' people in general (whatever that term is supposed to mean).

BobG said:
Good point. I'm fluent in American English and semi-fluent in English English - at least I know the difference between a zebra crossing and a pelican crossing.

To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.

I kinda doubt this one...perhaps on this forum where most people are intelligent and affluent that's true, but I'm not sure if it's true in general.
I think you would be surprised, in Europe at least the only mono-linguals are typically Francophones and Anglophones. The rest of Europe speaks at least 2 languages, typically.

American English, with a year of German in college, many hispanic friends as a kid thus a fair amount of Spanish back then, a bit of Russian, enough French to order coffee in Paris, and Pig Latin, which Tsu and I use to keep the cats in the dark.

brewnog said:
To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.

What's a pegasus crossing? I've never heard of that before!

With regard to the question, I only speak English; oh, and a bit of French from school, but I doubt that's counted!

cristo said:
What's a pegasus crossing? I've never heard of that before!

Its a zebra crossing on a fly-over.

okay am I the only one for three? Proofs how old I am. In the dark ages of the educational system in the Netherlands, it was mandatory to study three foreign languages (German, French, English) with the philosophy that a small country has a lot of foreign neighbours. German and French are not a problem, but English..

Kurdt said:
Its a zebra crossing on a fly-over.

:rofl: sounds a very safe idea...!

1 English, but I can also speak a little French, although not enough to warrant the title bi-lingual. In my country Anglaterre that practically makes me a polymath :smile: j/k.

Andre said:
okay am I the only one for three? Proofs how old I am. In the dark ages of the educational system in the Netherlands, it was mandatory to study three foreign languages (German, French, English) with the philosophy that a small country has a lot of foreign neighbours. German and French are not a problem, but English..

The dutch really are amazing linguists. :) A real heavy Nord Holland accent speaking English, does however sound totally demented, like the CEO of Shell...

I speak American, DAMMIT!

Why don't YOU speak MY language. :rofl:

A pegasus crossing is for horses! It's got high-level button buzzer things so horse riders don't have to get off. And there's more space around them too I think.

Anttech said:
The dutch really are amazing linguists. :) A real heavy Nord Holland accent speaking English, does however sound totally demented, like the CEO of Shell...

I actually rarely take offense at having my grammar and spelling corrected by a Dutchman, those crazy Hollanders certainly know how to speak English, even if we don't :smile: English in this country has hundreds of dialects and a million and one slang words. Tha knows lad, baint nothing to hear an odd word on the tongue up t'North.

Why aye man, s'like proper English.

Now aint that pretty moi luverr.

She was like reet fit and right gorgeous, and I'd have given 'er a bit of hows your father and no messin'.

Ay ay, slike we're Northern but we ave bit of a laff about the words, and those boook reading Southern nancies aint nothin' on us Northerners.

You're avin' a giraffe aint ya? Northern munkeys, used to be a bath rather than a giraffe, in the war.:smile:

Last edited:
brewnog said:
A pegasus crossing is for horses! It's got high-level button buzzer things so horse riders don't have to get off. And there's more space around them too I think.

That's what I was thinking, but since I've never seen one, I couldn't imagine that there were enough horses being ridden around busy roads to warrant the invention of such a crossing!

aye I ken wit yer saying oh these gallas dialects, tho scots tisnea really English anymore tho, you ken, mucker?

I became fluent in Spanish during High school (our teacher was from Barcelona, so I pronouce my "s's" like "th's"). THen I learned German in College. Now the two are mixed up.

"Abren sie la ventana, por bitte."
"Mach die fenster cerrado."

I am fluent with english, then have studied: zulu, afrikaans, german, french, japanese and I am currently being taught romanian by my romanian penpal. I do however mix english in if I am speaking a language and don't know a word, just put on the accent and say the english word, they sometimes understand what I mean

Anttech said:
aye I ken wit yer saying oh these gallas dialects, tho scots tisnea really English anymore tho, you ken, mucker?

Aye! I wis jist gaunnae say tha'.

Andre said:
Being able to speak many languages is great, but, each time I visit the Netherlands I get bombarded with anglicisms and Americanisms.

Once I was in a regular coffee shop, you have to qualify that when you visit the Netherlands, in Rotterdam, and looked at the menu, no "klein", "middel" and "groot" but " small", "medium" and "large" :bugeye:

It is funny, many Dutch insist on immigrants taking integration classes and exams while at the same time their speaking is loaded with anglicisms and their culture is infested with Americanisms.

This brings my foreign language total down to zero...though if I add up my grammatical and vocabularistic skills in German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Greek, Latin and Creole, I might be able to match nearly any 3-year-old.

MeJennifer said:
It is funny, many Dutch insist on immigrants taking integration classes and exams while at the same time their speaking is loaded with anglicisms and their culture is infested with Americanisms.

Same story with the Germans.

<h2>1. How many foreign languages do you speak?</h2><p>I speak three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.</p><h2>2. How many foreign languages can you read?</h2><p>I can read and write in the same three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.</p><h2>3. How long did it take you to learn multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>It took me several years to learn each language, with consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture.</p><h2>4. What motivated you to learn multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>I have always been interested in different cultures and languages, and I believe that being multilingual opens up many opportunities for personal and professional growth.</p><h2>5. How do you maintain fluency in multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>I try to use each language regularly, whether it be through reading, watching TV shows or movies, or practicing with native speakers. It's important to continue practicing and engaging with the language to maintain fluency.</p>

1. How many foreign languages do you speak?

I speak three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

2. How many foreign languages can you read?

I can read and write in the same three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

3. How long did it take you to learn multiple foreign languages?

It took me several years to learn each language, with consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture.

4. What motivated you to learn multiple foreign languages?

I have always been interested in different cultures and languages, and I believe that being multilingual opens up many opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. How do you maintain fluency in multiple foreign languages?

I try to use each language regularly, whether it be through reading, watching TV shows or movies, or practicing with native speakers. It's important to continue practicing and engaging with the language to maintain fluency.