How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter tehno
  • Start date
In summary: where most people learn two languages in school...that most people only speak one of those languages fluently.

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• I speak no other language except my native language

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I speak/read one foreign language

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I speak/read two foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I speak/read three or more foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
It is funny, many Dutch insist on immigrants taking integration classes and exams while at the same time their speaking is loaded with anglicisms and their culture is infested with Americanisms.
Its simply because of hollywood...

Science news on Phys.org
radou said:
Same story with the Germans.

English maths is loaded with Liebnitzism's :smile: works both ways.

[tex] \frac {dy}{dx} = \frac {dy}{du}.\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

I always found the short hand easier to deal with though as in this case it's a little different than simply fractions but the multiple chain rule shows how they cancel out.

7231ba07d510f6f0b7362b08447c32b2.png

[tex]F'(x) = f '(g(x)) g '(x)[/tex] depends on the equation

Last edited:
MeJennifer said:
Being able to speak many languages is great, but, each time I visit the Netherlands I get bombarded with anglicisms and Americanisms.

Once I was in a regular coffee shop, you have to qualify that when you visit the Netherlands, in Rotterdam, and looked at the menu, no "klein", "middel" and "groot" but " small", "medium" and "large" :bugeye:

It is funny, many Dutch insist on immigrants taking integration classes and exams while at the same time their speaking is loaded with anglicisms and their culture is infested with Americanisms.

You're quite right, although there are a few odd Dutch words, which still survive. Quite a interesting difference with Germany where I live currently, where puritism rules, as well as in France. Almost everywhere a computer is a computer except for the Germany ("Rechner") and the French ("ordinateur"). Also foreign movies are spoken in, instead of using subtitles. This is perhaps why Dutch youth have quite a edge over their German and French counterparts, for learning other languages.

But other elements of the Dutch culture as in art, architecture, writing, theatre, kitchen, etc is still existing and some people think that it should stay that way, therefore one should learn about tulips, windmills, wooden shoes, nasi goreng and taxes in the intergration classes

Andre said:
Right, nasi goreng, in Holland, with a Heineken beer, by the "afhaal Chinees", translated, "the pickup Chinese".
How more Dutch can you get! :rofl:

Last edited:
English, German and the linguistic perversion known as Neo-Norwegian

I speak English, and that's about it. I took 2 years of Spanish in High School...and remember none of it.

I think I'll minor in German though, I've always wanted to go there.

I can for the being able of speak three languages, English the best.

I'm fluent in two languages...American English and British English (brilliant!). :biggrin:

I learned Spanish in college, but haven't used it in so long, I'd be hard-pressed to construct a single sentence anymore. I used to be pretty good at understanding spoken Spanish (having been immersed in it by association with a Spanish-speaking friend and all her Spanish-speaking family and acquaintances), but was never very good at speaking it.

I used to be able to read Latin too, but that's not very useful for anything other than knowing the origin of medical/anatomical terms.

My native language is Spanish. I speak fluently english, and i speak with the profiency of a toddler russian and portuguese.

My native language is English. I am slowly learning Russian though.

Andre said:
Quite a interesting difference with Germany where I live currently, where puritism rules, as well as in France. Almost everywhere a computer is a computer except for the Germany ("Rechner") and the French ("ordinateur").

German purism is far from absolute. :smile: When I visited Germany a couple of years ago, I was amused to see the spread of the word "Ticket" in place of "Fahrkarte", for example in the "Tagesticket" that many city bus/tram systems offer.

I only speak english, if I had to I might be able to get by in french, but it would be tough...I can hardly remember any of it anymore. I would love to learn russian one day, I'm hoping to maybe start learning it as an arts option next year.

Interesting, a lot of people seem to like Russian. I wonder what the motivation is. Does it sound so exotic?

radou said:
Interesting, a lot of people seem to like Russian. I wonder what the motivation is. Does it sound so exotic?

I've just always been fascinated by the country, I love reading and learning about it. I'd really like to go there one day and figure it would be easier if I understand the language haha. My grandma was born there and maybe that's where my interest started.

scorpa said:
I've just always been fascinated by the country, I love reading and learning about it. I'd really like to go there one day and figure it would be easier if I understand the language haha. My grandma was born there and maybe that's where my interest started.

That's nice, it's always a good motivation.

I never liked Russian, it sounds somehow cold. Although it sounds similar as my native language, we have a considerable amount of words in common.

My native language is Chinese and I speak English. Can understand some Japanese and Korean as well.

Vodka, Chess, what more could you ask for?

My Russian instructor told us last semester about a tradition at his university: When he was in college all men were required to take a military class, and during the final for this class everyone would pitch in and buy a bunch of bottles of vodka and put them under the military instructor's desk, and if there was enough vodka the instructor would go easy on grading the final :rofl: However, a few years after he left the tradition ended, and I think he said military class is no longer mandatory for men anymore.

I speak fluent Australian English. G'day Mate. However I'm learning German as much as I can before I leave for Germany in 16 days. I find as I keep learning reading German becomes easier, but speaking I'm unsure of and constructing a good sentence is quite daunting. I watch TV shows in German to see if i can improve my listening skills. I am usually picking words and never getting a full sentence. My ability to speak and understand German is quite worrying since I have 16days before my 11month exchange there.

Therefore I'm going to say I can only really speak one language.

Last edited:
Andre said:
okay am I the only one for three? Proofs how old I am. In the dark ages of the educational system in the Netherlands, it was mandatory to study three foreign languages (German, French, English) with the philosophy that a small country has a lot of foreign neighbours. German and French are not a problem, but English..
Congrats.
But I see Pool results votes say 6 members (~20%) have already voted for '3 or more foreign languages' option!That's quite fantastic if I may say.

English is native language, can read/write/speak competent French.

English English and Korean.

whitay said:
I speak fluent Australian English. G'day Mate. However I'm learning German as much as I can before I leave for Germany in 16 days. I find as I keep learning reading German becomes easier, but speaking I'm unsure of and constructing a good sentence is quite daunting. I watch TV shows in German to see if i can improve my listening skills. I am usually picking words and never getting a full sentence. My ability to speak and understand German is quite worrying since I have 16days before my 11month exchange there.

Therefore I'm going to say I can only really speak one language.

I sympathize completely. If you have to translate back to your native language, you're lost - you're always listening too slow to keep up. I think you probably have to be able to think in a foreign language if you hope to keep up - something I've never been able to do with short trips.

I imagine the getting around will be pretty exhausting for a little while. It's hard when you have to actually think about every 'normally' trivial step of anything you do. And then there's always that deer in the headlights look when you ask for a stamp and the clerk rattles off every option of stamp you can choose from. :rofl: It's a little overwhelming for a while.

I could probably get back up to speed in both French and German in relatively short order, if necessary. My native tongue is American English, and I grew up in a French-Canadian family (though I was not encouraged to speak French because my family wanted me to be more integrated with the English-speakers in my schools). I took a couple of semesters of German in college and was invited to the the department-head's annual party (beer, sausages, cheeses, etc), as a rookie, so I must have been doing OK...

My native language is Dutch but i am fluent in English and French. I am quite good in Italian and i understand some German.

marlon

I'm currently learning Dutch and I can get by in France with my high school French :smile:

Mandarin is my native language, I can also speak a few dialects i.e cantonese and hokien.

Moonbear said:
I'm fluent in two languages...American English and British English (brilliant!). :biggrin:

I learned Spanish in college, but haven't used it in so long, I'd be hard-pressed to construct a single sentence anymore. I used to be pretty good at understanding spoken Spanish (having been immersed in it by association with a Spanish-speaking friend and all her Spanish-speaking family and acquaintances), but was never very good at speaking it.

I used to be able to read Latin too, but that's not very useful for anything other than knowing the origin of medical/anatomical terms.

Really so if I said say,whay aye lass, divn you no nothing aboot how we speak arund here like? It's like we use tha proper words withuwt the proper dialects. If tha likes to speak jordie that's greet like. Propar English not like them suthern poofs speak liyk all lad de da liyk. Real propar talk like what I speak divn tha no.

Believe me if you spoke to some people in some locations you'd need a phrase book :smile:

J77 said:
I'm currently learning Dutch and I can get by in France with my high school French :smile:

Je leert dus Nederlands, straf. Ik hoor immers dat dit niet direct de gemakkelijkste taal is om te leren.

Groetjes

marlon

marlon said:
Je leert dus Nederlands, straf. Ik hoor immers dat dit niet direct de gemakkelijkste taal is om te leren.

Groetjes

marlon
Definitely not, especially when you use complex sentences like that! :wink:

I'm more at the level of:

Ik leer Nederlands te spreken.

You know - concentrating on putting the second verb to the end :biggrin:

J77 said:
I'm more at the level of:

Ik leer Nederlands te spreken.

The "te" is not supposed to be there :shy:
Ik leer Nederlands spreken or Ik leer OM Nederlands TE spreken.

You know - concentrating on putting the second verb to the end :biggrin:

:rofl:
yeah, that is very important.

marlon

MeJennifer said:
Right, nasi goreng, in Holland, with a Heineken beer, by the "afhaal Chinees", translated, "the pickup Chinese".
How more Dutch can you get! :rofl:

So Dutch is indeed multi cultural. Heineken beer BTW is the most Dutch beer around. Freddy Heineken is the godfather who built the imperium.

Nasi Goreng is "Dutch", not Chinese but Dutch as in the colonial history. nasi goreng it is the national dish of Indonesia. The relationship between the two countries stopped shortly after WW-II but the Dutch culture is still influenced by that colonial past. Nasi goreng is just kidnapped by the Chinese

Native language is English; however, I also speak German fairly well, though I'm a little rusty.

My native language is Spanish. I speak/read English, and read French and Portuguese.

marlon said:

Groetjes

marlon

Ahh Dutch. When will you stop pretending its a real language and speak Hochdeutsch? :wink: :tongue:

*Runs and hides*

Hochdeutsch? Das redet man nur in die Schweiz. :approve:

Grüß Gott :tongue:

Last edited:
<h2>1. How many foreign languages do you speak?</h2><p>I speak three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.</p><h2>2. How many foreign languages can you read?</h2><p>I can read and write in the same three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.</p><h2>3. How long did it take you to learn multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>It took me several years to learn each language, with consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture.</p><h2>4. What motivated you to learn multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>I have always been interested in different cultures and languages, and I believe that being multilingual opens up many opportunities for personal and professional growth.</p><h2>5. How do you maintain fluency in multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>I try to use each language regularly, whether it be through reading, watching TV shows or movies, or practicing with native speakers. It's important to continue practicing and engaging with the language to maintain fluency.</p>

1. How many foreign languages do you speak?

I speak three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

2. How many foreign languages can you read?

I can read and write in the same three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

3. How long did it take you to learn multiple foreign languages?

It took me several years to learn each language, with consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture.

4. What motivated you to learn multiple foreign languages?

I have always been interested in different cultures and languages, and I believe that being multilingual opens up many opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. How do you maintain fluency in multiple foreign languages?

I try to use each language regularly, whether it be through reading, watching TV shows or movies, or practicing with native speakers. It's important to continue practicing and engaging with the language to maintain fluency.