How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter tehno
  • Start date
In summary: where most people learn two languages in school...that most people only speak one of those languages fluently.

How many foreign languages do you speak/read?

• I speak no other language except my native language

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I speak/read one foreign language

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I speak/read two foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I speak/read three or more foreign languages

Votes: 17 23.6%

• Total voters
Andre said:
Hochdeutsch? Das redet man nur in die Schweiz. :approve:

Grüß Gott :tongue:

..Oder wann man Helium Eingeatmet hat.

Science news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog said:
Really so if I said say,whay aye lass, divn you no nothing aboot how we speak arund here like? It's like we use tha proper words withuwt the proper dialects. If tha likes to speak jordie that's greet like. Propar English not like them suthern poofs speak liyk all lad de da liyk. Real propar talk like what I speak divn tha no.

Believe me if you spoke to some people in some locations you'd need a phrase book :smile:

I was with a geordie in Cambridge a few years ago, trying to give directions to an American tourist. The geordie was genuinely trying to help, but the American thought the Brit was taking the piss. A scouser turned up after a while and joined in, that really confused the poor yank! I think another American came to her aid in the end...

Geordie is number 3 in my top ten list of global sexy accents.

brewnog said:

:rofl: Trust me its awful, and I was born on the banks of the Tyne.

brewnog said:
I was with a geordie in Cambridge a few years ago, trying to give directions to an American tourist. The geordie was genuinely trying to help, but the American thought the Brit was taking the piss. A scouser turned up after a while and joined in, that really confused the poor yank! I think another American came to her aid in the end...

:rofl:
Ay ay like what he's sayin is that you wann go down dere past the boook shop and then ed right up to the traffic lights kay? Sound as a pound mate.Well Aye man that's what I said? Enter the Glaswegian: Perfect comedy sketch would be a procession of dialects trying to explain it while the tourist got more and more bemused, ending up walking off no more enlightened than before.:smile:

Last edited:
marlon said:
The "te" is not supposed to be there :shy:
Damn - I knew that - compared to English you have quite concise sentence structures, hoor :wink:

As far as the Northern talk above - the other day my gf was translating a poem written in your Northern tongue - when I say translating, I had to do a bit of it - she comes from the Sarf coast :biggrin:

My native tongue is Dutch. As I live in France and my wife is French, at home and mostly at my job I speak french. I think I'm quite fluent in english too. I speak and read german, but less fluently now because of lack of practice, but I did spend 8 years of my early life in Germany.

I took some courses in Japanese and Norwegian, but I forgot next to everything.

J77 said:
Damn - I knew that - compared to English you have quite concise sentence structures, hoor :wink:

As far as the Northern talk above - the other day my gf was translating a poem written in your Northern tongue - when I say translating, I had to do a bit of it - she comes from the Sarf coast :biggrin:

yore avin a larf aint you geezer :smile: I was raised in Kent: completely accentless, so I only have a trace of the Portsmouth accent.

J77 said:
:rofl:

The "hoor" is very correct.

But yes, i can imagine that the sentence building in Dutch and German is very difficult for a foreigner. English and the Roman languages are much easier in that respect.

marlon

I speak chinese, english and spanish.

wow? anyone who comes from China? My native language is Chinese, but I am really fluent in English, Janpanese, Spanish. and I am studing the Russian for beginning at these period. and I do believe that French is waitting for me somewhere in my heart...
Good luck...

ekakio said:
wow? anyone who comes from China? My native language is Chinese, but I am really fluent in English, Janpanese, Spanish. and I am studing the Russian for beginning at these period. and I do believe that French is waitting for me somewhere in my heart...
Good luck...

Chinese native and fluent in another three, AND wanting more ?

WOW ! That's fantastic - good for you.

Are you doing this out of pure interest in languages ?

brewnog said:
To speak true English English you must also know the difference between a toucan crossing, a pegasus crossing, and a puffin crossing.

I'm legally exempt from the first two. It's far too cold here for toucans, and it's almost impossible to recognize a pegasus any more. Their wings are surgically removed immediately after they're born to eliminate the need for custom-made saddles. Puffins are a nuisance, but we tolerate them.

I'm unilingual: I speak Canuk. That's a peculiar mix of English and Yank, with very strong influences from Scotland and Ireland. Despite our being officially bilingual, I never learned French.
I started home-studying Russian a few decades back, but had to quit when I got to the tape part of the lessons. I couldn't read lips on my cassette player.

American English is my native language.
I had Spanish during high school and was fairly proficient with it at the time. Since then my skill has degraded.

I have started to learn German as I plan on traveling to Germany in a year or so to visit a friend who is stationed there with the USAF at Ramstein.

I also learned a bit of Quenya & Sindarin as well as Klingon.

I would like to learn Hebrew, Arabic, Hindi and Sanskrit as I have an interest in history.

My native language is spanish. I've taught myself english. Still improving, though.

I also know how to insult in portuguese and swedish, if that counts. (Had some problem with those boys...)

Native English. Fluent French and Italian. Can follow Spanish (seems easier when Latin American) and have even lectured in it. Have done courses in German and Russian but it has mostly slipped away. Recently tried quite seriously in Japanese but that too seems to have slipped away, but intend restart soon. Its difficulty seems much overstated and it lacks the perversities of several of the other languages mentioned.

Last edited:
I attempted to learn German while overseas, but none of the Germans with whom I was friends would stand for it. They all wanted to practice their English!

mugaliens said:
I attempted to learn German while overseas, but none of the Germans with whom I was friends would stand for it. They all wanted to practice their English!
It's just as well. I found it quite difficult to get them to understand their own language.

To quote Eddie Izzard: "Meanwhile, most English speaking people, are like: 'Two languages in one head; who could live at that speed?!" :biggrin:

I regret, I do not speak any language other than English. I studied Italian in high school (and I can count and tell time, as such); and I took Latin in college (which, although "dead" I still respect immensely).

I'm very tempted to splurge on Rosetta Stone. If only they had Klingon.

My native language is English English, but I can also speak German and Telugu (an Indian language) as well as some French and Spanish.

O, and you also need to know the difference between a pelican crossing and a puffin crossing.

Any thoughts on Esperanto?

Coincidentally, I just received this as an e-mail from a friend.

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c".. Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f".. This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

It's not quite Esperanto... :biggrin:

Danger said:
Coincidentally, I just received this as an e-mail from a friend...

...It's not quite Esperanto... :biggrin:

That's awesome. :smile:

<h2>1. How many foreign languages do you speak?</h2><p>I speak three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.</p><h2>2. How many foreign languages can you read?</h2><p>I can read and write in the same three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.</p><h2>3. How long did it take you to learn multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>It took me several years to learn each language, with consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture.</p><h2>4. What motivated you to learn multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>I have always been interested in different cultures and languages, and I believe that being multilingual opens up many opportunities for personal and professional growth.</p><h2>5. How do you maintain fluency in multiple foreign languages?</h2><p>I try to use each language regularly, whether it be through reading, watching TV shows or movies, or practicing with native speakers. It's important to continue practicing and engaging with the language to maintain fluency.</p>

1. How many foreign languages do you speak?

I speak three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

2. How many foreign languages can you read?

I can read and write in the same three foreign languages: Spanish, French, and Mandarin Chinese.

3. How long did it take you to learn multiple foreign languages?

It took me several years to learn each language, with consistent practice and immersion in the language and culture.

4. What motivated you to learn multiple foreign languages?

I have always been interested in different cultures and languages, and I believe that being multilingual opens up many opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. How do you maintain fluency in multiple foreign languages?

I try to use each language regularly, whether it be through reading, watching TV shows or movies, or practicing with native speakers. It's important to continue practicing and engaging with the language to maintain fluency.