How many four digit numbers .

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
Once you know that, you can try to figure out how many possibilities there are using digits {0,a,b} (part 3). There are 3 cases:3a) 1st digit is 0: In this case, you're counting the number of possibilities using 3 digits (since the 1st has to be 0). How many possibilities are there?3b) 2nd digit is 0: In this case, you're counting the number of possibilities using 3 digits (since the 2nd has to be 0). How many possibilities are there?3c) 3rd digit is 0: In this case, you're counting the number of possibilities using
zorro
How many four digit numbers...

Homework Statement

How many four digit numbers are there which contain not more than two different digits?

The Attempt at a Solution

1)Numbers with only one digit like 1111,2222...
total are 9.

2)Numbers with only two different digits.

How do I proceed?

Physics news on Phys.org

I'm not sure I would break up the cases like that, though I suppose you could. You have 2 choices for each of the four digits, which should give you the answer by the basic counting principle.

If that doesn't help, let's look at the easier example of two digit numbers with only the digits 1 and 2. We have 11, 12, 21, 22, yielding 4 = 22 possibilites.

EDIT: Whoops! Sorry, I misread the question. I'll try to fix my post later.

Last edited:

You were definitely right to break up the cases as you did. I think I would try:

1) Numbers with only one digit like 1111,2222...
total are 9.

2) Numbers with only two different nonzero digits.

3) Numbers with 0 as a digit.

Okay, so after my last (slightly misguided) post, hopefully you can figure out how many different 4 digit numbers there are with only the distinct nonzero digits a and b. Next, subtract off the numbers already covered in 1) (i.e. aaaa and bbbb). After that, count how many ways we can choose distinct a and b from the set {1, 2, ..., 9}. Using these 2 pieces of information should give the answer to 2).

3) is slightly annoying since we can't have a zero as the first digit. It's probably easiest to just write down the possibilities with 0's and 1's and then generalize.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

spamiam said:
Okay, so after my last (slightly misguided) post, hopefully you can figure out how many different 4 digit numbers there are with only the distinct nonzero digits a and b.

72?

spamiam said:
Next, subtract off the numbers already covered in 1) (i.e. aaaa and bbbb).

Why would numbers containing only a and b contain numbers like aaaa,bbbb? I don't see any need to subtract.

spamiam said:
After that, count how many ways we can choose distinct a and b from the set {1, 2, ..., 9}. Using these 2 pieces of information should give the answer to 2).

9C2 ways. So total number of ways = 9C2*72

spamiam said:
3) is slightly annoying since we can't have a zero as the first digit. It's probably easiest to just write down the possibilities with 0's and 1's and then generalize.

Total no. of cases=7
So required no.=7*9 (9 because 1 can be replaced by any other digit except 0)

Abdul Quadeer said:
72?

No... You're making 4 choices, and for each choice you have 2 options.

Why would numbers containing only a and b contain numbers like aaaa,bbbb? I don't see any need to subtract.

Well, for one thing, you already counted them in 1). For another, you're going to over-count, since when I count all the possibilities for {1,2} and {1,3}, I'll count 1111 twice. I think splitting the cases as you had it is easier.

Total no. of cases=7
So required no.=7*9 (9 because 1 can be replaced by any other digit except 0)

Yes, exactly. There's another way to see this as well, but first you need to figure out how many possibilities there are using digits {a,b} (part 2).

1. How many four digit numbers are there?

There are 9000 four digit numbers in total.

2. How many four digit numbers are even?

There are 4500 even four digit numbers.

3. How many four digit numbers are odd?

There are also 4500 odd four digit numbers.

4. How many four digit numbers are multiples of 5?

There are 1800 four digit numbers that are multiples of 5.

5. How many four digit numbers are palindromes?

There are 90 four digit numbers that are palindromes.