Sleep and Academic Success: How Many Hours Do You Really Need?

• Thread starter physicsnewb7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary: I don't understand why anyone would want to sleep that little. I feel like it would really mess with your brain. I usually sleep 8-9 hours a day, but I've stopped working out as much and oddly, I now sleep 8-9 hours a night. I thought it would be the other way around.I definitely do my best work in the wee hours.Your sleep schedule seems pretty normal to me. A lot of people need more sleep than that, but that's okay. Just listen to your body and try to get more sleep if you need it.I average around 6-7 hours of sleep a night. After a few days of "closer to 6" hours of sleep

How many hrs on average do you sleep?

• to hell with sleep I will get enough sleep when im dead

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 3-4

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 4-5

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • 6-7

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • 7-8

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • 8-9

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • 9 and above

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters
Dr. HappyNuke said:
Yeah I hear ya, man. The worst thing is when your lib. arts major friends are bragging about their 4.0 when you're pretty happy with your engineering 3-point-something. It's just not fair ><

Just wait until the business majors are bragging about their $400,000 salary when you thought you were happy with your $60,000 one and are wondering why you were the one busting your butt in college while they were out partying. The one thing I REALLY hope for with the recession is that the business majors are put back in their place.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
Just wait until the business majors are bragging about their $400,000 salary when you thought you were happy with your $60,000 one and are wondering why you were the one busting your butt in college while they were out partying. The one thing I REALLY hope for with the recession is that the business majors are put back in their place.

Yeah, apparently business is the "fall back" major at my school; I would hope that all the people I'm thinking about wouldn't make $400,000 per year! The math requirement for business at my school is only through Pre-calc II...but for me it's like diffy-Q LOL. My aunt majored in chemistry, then teaching, and THEN business--and now she's a claims representative at an insurance company. I guess you get what you deserve...engineers should get paid more though. ^^

Moonbear said:

Don't mean to bite back but engineers are for the most part recession proof. While thousands of "business majors" were getting laid off, I was watching ads for wanted engineers all over also demand is projected to grow. ;]

Plus we design things that are awesome. So my lack of sleep does certainly pay off =D

Moonbear said:

Hear, hear!

Especially since I've had to take a 10% pay cut :grumpy: just to keep my job.