How Many Ions are Present in 1 Formula Unit of HI, HBr, and N2S5?

In summary, the two equations have the same answer of 2 ions, but the formula for HBr(g) is not 2 because it is a gas.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

How many ions are present in 1 formula unit of HI(aq)?
HBr(g)?
N2S5?

Homework Equations

These two questions have the same concept, I believe.
I went the simple way and thought the answer was 2 for both of them, but apparently that was wrong. Can someone show me how to do this, please?

The Attempt at a Solution

Does it have something to do with these compounds being consisted of diatomic molecules?
HI(aq) is 2, but HBr(g) is not 2. I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that one is aq and the other is a gas, but how does that affect it? How many ions would HBr(g) have?
And the N2S5 one is not 7 ions. Why? I am confused. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HI(aq) - where do the ions come from?

H+ and I- so the answer to that one is 2 ions, right?
But what I'm confused on is HBr(g). Why wouldn't that also be 2 ions?

What is the process that creates H+ and I- in HI(aq)?

dissociation in aq solution.
but how does that help me see the HBr? its a gas so it's not dissociating right?

Last edited:
name_ask17 said:
but how does that help me see the HBr? its a gas so it's not dissociating right?

Yes.

Can't help you with the N2S5. As far as I know such compound doesn't exist.

so i still don't understand HBr would have only 1 ion then? or none?

None, it doesn't dissociate, so there are only molecules present.

ohhh i understand. thank you
so i know you said that you didnt know about the n2s5.. but since it also doesn't dissociate, it it also 0 ions? does that make sense or no?
or would it be 2 ions for the n2 and s8? i don't really know, actually.

If you HAVE to give some answer other than "question doesn't make sense", then 0 makes the most sense.

does it have something to do with it being a binary molecular compound?

Last edited:
Sorry, no idea what you are asking about. What does have something to do with N2S5 being a binary molecular compound?

(actually - in the context of the question - it doesn't matter if it is a binary compound or not, it doesn't exist and the story ends there)

ok i will talk to my professor about it. thank you so much for your help. i appreciate it.

1. What are formula units and ions in chemistry?

In chemistry, a formula unit is the empirical formula of an ionic or covalent compound, representing the simplest ratio of ions or atoms present in the compound. Ions, on the other hand, are charged particles formed when an atom gains or loses electrons in order to achieve a stable electronic configuration.

2. How are formula units and ions related?

Ions are the building blocks of formula units. In order for a compound to be electrically neutral, the positive and negative charges of the ions must balance out. This is achieved by combining cations (positively charged ions) and anions (negatively charged ions) in a specific ratio to create a formula unit.

3. What is the difference between a cation and an anion?

A cation is a positively charged ion, meaning it has more protons than electrons. An anion, on the other hand, is a negatively charged ion, meaning it has more electrons than protons. Cations are typically formed from metals, while anions are formed from nonmetals.

4. How do you determine the formula unit of a compound?

The formula unit of a compound can be determined by identifying the cation and anion present in the compound and using their charges to determine the ratio in which they combine. The charges can be determined from the periodic table or by balancing the overall charge of the compound to zero.

5. Can you give an example of a compound and its formula unit?

Sodium chloride (commonly known as table salt) is a compound with the formula unit NaCl. This means that for every sodium ion (Na+) present, there is one chloride ion (Cl-) present, resulting in a neutral compound. Other examples of compounds and their formula units include calcium chloride (CaCl2) and carbon dioxide (CO2).