How many laws explain everything we know about nature, and what are they?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of whether everything we know in physics can be expressed through a small number of laws. The laws of quantum mechanics and general relativity are mentioned as examples, and there is a curiosity about whether chemistry, biology, and geology can be derived from these laws. The conversation also delves into the possibility of a minimal set of laws that can explain everything we know about nature, including the role of conservation laws, Maxwell's equations, and the laws of thermodynamics. The conversation concludes with the mention of a video that may provide more insight into these questions.
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The other day, as I was struggling through my quantum mechanics text, I realized that the only physical laws presented in the text were the four postulates of QM, the last of which is Schrodinger's equation. These are presented around page 150. The first 150 pages establish the background needed to understand what the postulates mean, and why they are necessary in order to explain things like interference patterns that cannot be explained by classical physics. The subsequent 500 pages appear to be explaining a variety of subtle and complex techniques that can be used to derive conclusions from these postulates. Maybe there will be one or two more postulates or laws introduced later on – eg I haven't got up to spinors yet – but it certainly looks like the laws of QM can be stated in a very small number of postulates.

Similarly, general relativity seems to boil down to one tensor equation which, together with a postulate that free particles will move along geodesics, encompasses everything we know about gravity and Newton's first two laws of motion.

This got me wondering whether everything we know can actually be expressed in a very small collection of laws, and all the libraries full of science books are about:
  • the experimental reasons why those laws currently seem to be the best explanations
  • the theory needed to understand the laws (eg hilbert spaces, tensor calculus, differential geometry)
  • the myriad subtle and complex techniques that have been developed for practically applying those laws to make predictions and explanations of phenomena
So now to my questions:

1. Is everything we know about chemistry theoretically derivable from the postulates of quantum mechanics?
  2. Is everything we know about biology and geology derivable from the laws of chemistry and physics?
  3. Is it possible to state everything we know about physics in a very small number of laws? The idea here is to identify a minimal set that doesn't include any law or observation that can, at least theoretically, be derived from other laws in the set, even if we don't have such a derivation at this stage.
  4. What would such a minimal set of laws be? My initial guess would be that we need Einstein's field equation, the quantum mechanical postulates, some or all of the laws of conservation (mass-energy, momentum and angular momentum; do we need all three, or are some derivable from other laws?).
  5. Do we need Maxwell's equations or are they derivable from the QM postulates?
  6. Ditto for the strong and weak nuclear forces.
  7. Which of the laws of thermodynamics do we need to state because they can't be derived from anything else?
  8. What else?
I am intrigued by the idea of being able to write everything we know about nature (or rather, everything we need in order to be able to theoretically derive, given enough time and cleverness, everything we know about nature) on one or two pages.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In regards physics; watch this video:

It may get pretty close to answering much of the substance of your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "How many laws explain everything we know about nature, and what are they?"

1. How many laws are there that explain everything we know about nature?

There is no definitive answer to this question as the number of laws that explain everything we know about nature is constantly evolving and expanding.

2. Are there any overarching laws that explain all aspects of nature?

Some scientists believe that there may be a grand unified theory that could potentially explain all the laws of nature, but this theory has yet to be discovered.

3. What are some examples of laws that explain nature?

Some well-known laws that explain aspects of nature include Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, and the laws of electromagnetism.

4. How do scientists determine if a law explains nature?

Scientists use the scientific method to develop and test laws that explain natural phenomena. This involves making observations, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to support or reject a proposed law.

5. Are there any laws that are universally accepted by all scientists?

There are some laws, such as the laws of conservation of energy and the laws of conservation of mass, that are widely accepted by the scientific community as they have been repeatedly tested and supported by evidence.