How many multiplications are required for solving $P_N$ using Horner's rule?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
In summary, Multipoint Evaluation is a process in which a polynomial is evaluated at a set of distinct points, and the solution is a collection of the polynomial's values at those points. The number of required multiplications can be represented by the figure of merit $M(N)$, with $N$ being the size of the problem. The Horner's rule is a common method used for solving this problem, with a complexity of $M(N) = N^2 + O(N)$. However, if the evaluation points have Property $S$, as in the case of Fourier points, the problem can be solved in $M(N) = \frac{N^2}{2} + O(N)$. This is possible due to the
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

In my book there is the following part about Multipoint Evaluation: The forward transform of evaluation-interpolation is multipoint polynomial evaluation over a field $F$. We shall focus our attention on the following

Problem $P_N$ of "size" $N$: Evaluate a polynomial $a(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{N-1}a_ix^i$ of "length" $N$ (length=degree+1) at each of a set $E_N=\{a_k\}_{k=0}^{N-1}$ of $N$ distinct points $a_k \in F$ (the "evaluation points").

The solution of $P_N$ is the collection of polynomial values $A_k=a(a_k)$ ($k=0, \dots , N-1$).

To analyze and compare algorithms for solving $P_N$, we shall count $M(N)$, the required number of multiplications over $F$. ($M(N)$ is a valid figure of merit, since multiplications dominate the arithmetic work of the algorithms to be discussed.)

To show off our more inspired solutions to $P_N$, we record the pedestrian
Proposition 1. For arbitrary evaluation points, $P_N$ can be solved in $M(N)=N^2+O(N)$.
Proof. Compute each $a(a_k)$ ($k=0, \dots , N-1$) by Horner's rule.
Could you explain to me the proposition? Why do we do $M(N)=N^2+O(N)$ multiplications when we apply Horner's rule?

Isn't the following the Horner's rule?

Code:
1.a<-0
2.i<-N-1
3.while (i>=0)
4.         a<-a_i+x*y
5.         i<-i-1

Do we not do $N$ multiplications? (Wondering)

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi! (Smile)

Yep. That is Horner's rule.
It will actually do $N-1$ multiplications. (Wink)

The problem statement is not entirely clear to me, but it seems to say an length-N polynomial is evaluated for each of N distinct points.
Can you tell?
If so, that would make $M(N)=N(N-1)=N^2 + O(1)$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
The problem statement is not entirely clear to me, but it seems to say an length-N polynomial is evaluated for each of N distinct points.

Yes, it is like that.
I like Serena said:
If so, that would make $M(N)=N(N-1)=N^2 + O(1)$. (Wasntme)

So, it is $M(N)=N(N-1)=N^2-N=N^2+O(N)$ because for each point we do $N-1$ multiplications and we have $N$ points, right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, it is $M(N)=N(N-1)=N^2-N=N^2+O(N)$ because for each point we do $N-1$ multiplications and we have $N$ points, right? (Wondering)

That how I interpret it yes - depending on what is meant exactly with a "point". (Nod)

I like Serena said:
depending on what is meant exactly with a "point"

What could be meant? (Wondering)

$a_k$ is an evaluation point of $F$, where $F$ is a field.

mathmari said:
What could be meant? (Wondering)

$a_k$ is an evaluation point of $F$, where $F$ is a field.

I think a problem $P_N$ has as its inputs:
  1. a polynomial $a(x)$ with coefficients $\alpha_0, ..., \alpha_{N-1}$ that are elements of $F$.
  2. A set of elements $a_0, ..., a_{N-1}$ in $F$ called points.
    Each point is an element of $F$ and is used to be substituted for $x$ in the polynomial, which is why it's called an evaluation point.
    I think these points are intended to be different from the coefficients, which is why I wrote the coefficients using the alpha ($\alpha$) symbol.
Then the solution of the problem is the collection $a(a_0), ..., a(a_{N-1})$. (Wasntme)

I like Serena said:
I think a problem $P_N$ has as its inputs:
  1. a polynomial $a(x)$ with coefficients $\alpha_0, ..., \alpha_{N-1}$ that are elements of $F$.
  2. A set of elements $a_0, ..., a_{N-1}$ in $F$ called points.
    Each point is an element of $F$ and is used to be substituted for $x$ in the polynomial, which is why it's called an evaluation point.
    I think these points are intended to be different from the coefficients, which is why I wrote the coefficients using the alpha ($\alpha$) symbol.
Then the solution of the problem is the collection $a(a_0), ..., a(a_{N-1})$. (Wasntme)

I see... (Nerd)

After that we impose some structure on the evaluation points to speedup the solution to $P_N$.

Definition. Let $N=2n$ be even. A collectionn of $N$ distinct points $E_N=\{a_k\}_{k=0}^{N-1}$ is said to have Property $S$ if $E_N$ can be written as $E_N=\{\pm a_k\}_{k=0}^{n-1}$.
('S' thus stands for symmetry of sign; if $\beta$ is in $E_N$, then so is $-\beta$.)

Let $E_N$ have Property $S$. Then, since $(-\beta)^2=(+\beta)^2$, we see that only $\frac{N}{2}$ of the squares of points in $E_N$ are distinct. This little observation is the key to speeding up multipoint evaluation.

Proposition 2. Let $N$ be even, $N=2n$, and let $E_N=\{a_k\}_k$ have property $S$. Then $P_N$ can be solved in $M(N)=\frac{N^2}{2}+O(N)$.

(At the proof the Binary splitting scheme is used:

Step 1. Compute $\beta_k=a_k^2$ ($k=0, \dots , n-1$).

Step 2. With $b(y),c(y)$ given by $\alpha (x)=\sum_{i=0}^{N-1}\alpha_ix^i=b(y)+xc(y)$ where $y=x^2$, use Horner's rule to compute $B_k=b(\beta_k), C_k=c(\beta_k)$ ($k=0, \dots , n-1$).

Step 3. Return $A_k=B_k+a_kC_k, A_{-k}=B_k-a_kC_k$ ($k=0, \dots , n-1$).
)

To speed up also the solution to the two subproblems we make the leap to a very special class of evaluation points.

We refer to the $N$ distinct integral powers of a primitive $N$th root of unity $\omega$, $[\omega]=\{1, \omega , \dots , \omega^{N-1}\}$, as a set of $N$ Fourier points. These are the points that we shall choose fou our multipoint evaluation problem. (We shall shortly elucidate their connection with Fourier Transforms.) Let us call a multipoint evaluation problem $P_N$ at $N$ Fourier points a Fourier evaluation problem $F_N$ (of size $N$).

Lemma 1. Let $N=2n$, $\omega$ a primitive $N$th root of unity. Then the $N$ Fourier points $[\omega]$ have Property $S$, with $\omega^{k+n}=-\omega^k$ ($k=0, \dots , n-1$).

Consequence. We can apply the binary splitting scheme to solve a Fourier evaluation problem $F_N$.

Now for the crucial additional property of Fourier points that will let us speed up the solution to the subproblems arising in step 2 of the binary splitting scheme.

Lemma 2. Let $N=2n$, $\omega$ a primitive $N$th root of unity. Then $\omega^2$ is a primitive $\frac{N}{2}$th root of unity.

If we choose $N=2^m$, then the binary splitting scheme an be carried out (through $m$ levels of recursion) until a trivial problem is reached: the evaluation of a polynomial of length one at one point.

This lead to the abstract recursive FFT procedure of Algorithm for evaluationg a polynomial of length $N$ at $N$ Fourier points. [m]Algorithm (FFT - fast Fourier transform).

Input arguments.
$ \ \ $ integer $N=2^m$
$ \ \ $ polynomial $\alpha (x)=\sum_{i=0}^{N-1}\alpha_i x^i$
$ \ \ $ primitive $N$th root of unity $\omega$

Ouput argument.
$ \ \ $ array $\textbf{A}=(A_0, \dots , A_{N-1})$ where $A_k=\alpha(\omega^k)$

Auxiliary data.
$ \ \ $ integer $n=\frac{N}{2}$
$ \ \ $ polynomials $b(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}b_ix^i, c(x)=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}c_ix^i$
$ \ \ $ arrays $\textbf{B}=(B_0, \dots , B_{n-1}), \textbf{C}=(C_0, \dots , C_{n-1})$[/m] [m]procedure FFT($N, \alpha (x), \omega , \textbf{A}$);
$ \ \ $ if N=1
$ \ \ \ \ $ then
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ {Basis.} $A_0 :=\alpha_0$
$ \ \ \ \ $ else
$ \ \ \ \ $ begin
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ {Binary split.}
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $n:=\frac{N}{2};$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $b(x):=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1}\alpha_{2i}x^i;$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $c(x):=\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} \alpha_{2i+1}x^i;$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ {Recursive calls.}
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($n, b(x), \omega^2, \textbf{B}$);
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($n, c(x), \omega^2 , \textbf{C}$);
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ {Combine.}
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ for $k:=0$ until $n-1$ do
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ begin
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $A_k:=B_k+\omega^k \times C_k;$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $A_{k+n}:=B_b-\omega^k \times C_k$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ end
end[/m] Why do we call $[\omega]$ the set of Fourier points?

I tried to implement the FFT algorithm at an example but I got stuck...

We have the polynmial $\alpha (x)=x^3+2x^2+5x+3$. ($N=2^2$)

[m]FFT($4, \alpha (x), \omega \textbf{A}$)
$ \ \ \ \ $ $n=2$
$ \ \ \ \ $ $b(x)=3+2x$
$ \ \ \ \ $ $c(x)=5+x$
$ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($2, b(x), \omega^2, \textbf{B}$)
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $n=1$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $b(x)=3$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $c(x)=2$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($1, b(x), \omega^2, \textbf{B}$)
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_0=3$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($1, c(x), \omega^2, \textbf{C}$)
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $C_0=2$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $k=0$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_0=B_0+\omega^0 \cdot C_0=5$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_2=B_0-\omega^0 \cdot C_0=1$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $k=1$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_1=B_1+\omega^1 \cdot C_1$[/m]

Is it correct so far? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why do we call $[\omega]$ the set of Fourier points?

Because it says:
We refer to the $N$ distinct integral powers of a primitive $N$th root of unity $\omega$, $[\omega]=\{1, \omega , \dots , \omega^{N-1}\}$, as a set of $N$ Fourier points.

More specifically, the Fourier transform is \(\displaystyle A_n = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} a_k e^{2\pi i n k / N} = \sum_{n=0}^{N-1} a_k \omega^{n k}\).
I tried to implement the FFT algorithm at an example but I got stuck...

Is it correct so far? (Wondering)

I think it should be:

[m]FFT($4, \alpha (x), \omega, \textbf{A}$)
$ \ \ \ \ $ $n=2$
$ \ \ \ \ $ $b(x)=3+2x$
$ \ \ \ \ $ $c(x)=5+x$
$ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($2, b(x), \omega^2, \textbf{B}$)
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $n=1$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $b(x)=3$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $c(x)=2$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($1, b(x), \omega^4, \textbf{B'}$)
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B'_0=3$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ FFT($1, c(x), \omega^4, \textbf{C'}$)
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $C'_0=2$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $k=0$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_0=B'_0+(\omega^2)^0 \cdot C'_0=5$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_2=B'_0-(\omega^2)^0 \cdot C'_0=1$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $k=1$
$ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ $ $B_1=B'_0+(\omega^2)^1 \cdot C'_0 \\= 3 + (i^2)^1 \cdot 2 = 1$
[/m]

Note that $\omega$ is a primitive 4-root of unity, for which we'll pick $\omega=e^{i\pi/2} = i$.

mathmari said:
We have the polynmial $\alpha (x)=x^3+2x^2+5x+3$. ($N=2^2$)

Oh, and we can verify by evaluating the Fourier transform: (Thinking)
$$A_n = \sum_{k=0}^{N-1} a_k\cdot i^{nk}$$
So:
\begin{cases}
A_0 &= \sum_{k=0}^{3} a_k\cdot i^{0\cdot k} &= \sum a_k &= 3+5+2+1 &= 11\\
A_1 &= \sum_{k=0}^{3} a_k\cdot i^{1\cdot k} &&= 3+5i-2-1i &= 3+4i\\
\end{cases}

Indeed it is the same as substituting respectively $x=1,i,-1,-i$ in $\alpha(x)$. (Mmm)

Related to How many multiplications are required for solving $P_N$ using Horner's rule?

What is Multipoint Evaluation?

Multipoint Evaluation is a mathematical process used to evaluate a polynomial at multiple points simultaneously. It is commonly used in algebra and calculus.

Why is Multipoint Evaluation useful?

Multipoint Evaluation allows for quicker and more efficient calculations of polynomial values at multiple points, which can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What is the difference between Multipoint Evaluation and Single-point Evaluation?

The main difference between Multipoint Evaluation and Single-point Evaluation is that Multipoint Evaluation allows for the evaluation of a polynomial at multiple points simultaneously, while Single-point Evaluation only evaluates the polynomial at one point at a time.

How is Multipoint Evaluation performed?

Multipoint Evaluation is typically performed using a process called Horner's method, which involves factoring the polynomial and using a specific set of coefficients to calculate the polynomial value at each point.

What are some real-world applications of Multipoint Evaluation?

Multipoint Evaluation is used in various fields, including engineering, physics, and computer science, to efficiently calculate values for polynomials that arise in different contexts, such as in signal processing and control systems.