How many of you guys actually like mathematics?

• Thread starter Neo_Anderson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, almost every physicist goes through a period where they almost become mathematicians. However, this is usually due to a lack of enjoyment in abstract mathematics, and is usually overcome by pursuing research in physics.
Ok, I found the real flaw in your argument. The thing is that you first assume that you got a solution that is not an eigenvector to translations and then translate it to get the orthogonal solution space. All fine so far right? The problem now is that it is possible that the whole solution space for this specific energy have the same translation eigenvalue! What would that mean?! That you can't find the function you first assume that you can find. The prohibited value you are talking about is one of the possible values where the initial function is already an eigenvector to the translation.

Physics news on Phys.org
If at least somebody found my opinion, about using physics as a tool to sabotage mathematics, entertaining, then my contribution to this thread was not completely wasted, IMO :wink:

I love maths when I got something I want to think about, I appreciate it. I have also thought that Bloch's theorem was strange but now I am quite solid :p